Q: Spark Plug Life

Old August 14th 03, 04:38 AM
john smith

Default Q: Spark Plug Life

How many hours of service should one expect from a set of spark plugs?
(i.e.- Lycoming IO-520 in a PA32-300)
Old August 14th 03, 12:21 PM
Justin Case

500

Old August 14th 03, 08:02 PM
Dan Thomas

500 hours is reasonable, but it depends on who made the plug and how
it's cleaned.
We have had terrible luck with Champions; the electrode wear is
OK but the internal resistor fails much too soon. It will often quit
sparking at pressures below 120 psi, and sometimes you can hear it
arcing internally during the test. I have had brand-new Champs fail
right out of the box.
I prefer the Unison (AC) plug; it uses the Auburn design, having
an integrally molded resistor rather than Champion's loose one (which
is held by a spring) and we get 500 hours without much trouble. Less
cost, too.
Some spark plug cleaners use silicon carbide grit. This stuff is
really harsh, and can cause a lot of electrode erosion and shorten
plug life. We use glass bead. Much gentler, and cleans every bit as
well.

Old August 14th 03, 08:15 PM
No Spam

john smith wrote in message
How many hours of service should one expect from a set of spark plugs?
(i.e.- Lycoming IO-520 in a PA32-300)

On the typical massive electrode plugs, about 400 maybe if your real
lucky even perhaps 500 hours service life until the center electrode
gets too football shaped. Be sure to clean and regap them at least
every 50 hours.

670 hrs. on a Husky with O-360 and still not close to trashing them.

No Spam

Old August 15th 03, 02:24 AM
Michelle P

John,

Massive 400-500 Hrs if well cared for.
Fine Wire I will let you know when I overhaul the engine. I have several
hundred hours on a set and they are showing now signs of wear.

Michelle

--

Michelle P CP-ASMEL-IA, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, AirLifeLine

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old August 15th 03, 02:34 AM
smf

I have a set of Smith fine wire plugs on a I-O360. I have 670hrs on them. I
checked compression last week and inspected the plugs and they still look
great.
Question IS...how many people have heard of Smith Plugs?

Steve

Old August 15th 03, 03:26 PM
Hankal

Question IS...how many people have heard of Smith Plugs?

I have not heard of them.
Where did you get them and what is the price. I buy mine on line $17.85 each
Hank N1441P
Old August 15th 03, 05:11 PM
smf

Hank,

I bought a Glasair 3 years ago and they were in the engine.
A Champion rep at OSH this year said he didn't think they have been made for
many years. The Unison guys haven't heard of Smith. The original owner and
builder of the plane said he switched to fine wire because of "hard shut
downs".

Steve
N360RB