Best spark plug cleaning tool?

Old August 7th 05, 02:18 PM
Dan Luke

"Peter" wrote:
What do people use for this?

Dental picks are perfect; you can get them in all sorts of shapes.

http://www.indigo.com/tools/gphtools/dental-picks.html

Old August 7th 05, 03:26 PM
Jim Burns

Default Best spark plug cleaning tool?

Various size jewellers screwdrivers and one of these
Jim Burns

..

Old August 7th 05, 08:46 PM
David Lesher

I found a small 12vdc power sandblaster at a hamfest once; is sandblasting
a good technique for aviation plugs?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old August 8th 05, 03:20 AM
George Patterson

David Lesher wrote:
I found a small 12vdc power sandblaster at a hamfest once; is sandblasting
a good technique for aviation plugs?

We used one at the Esso station I working in as a teenager. The shop at Kupper
airport used one that looked an awful lot like it.

George Patterson
Old August 8th 05, 06:00 AM
private

"Peter" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am looking for something for digging out the lead deposits from the
bottom plugs on an IO-540.

A friend has a very old tool which looks like a swiss army knife, but
instead of the knife blades it has a number of hard steel rods, about
3" long and varying in diameter from 1mm to about 2mm. They are
serrated along their length. I am not sure if this tool was ever
intended for cleaning plugs but it works very well.

snip

It sure sounds like a welder's oxy-acetylene torch tip cleaner. They are
not expensive and are available at most welding suppliers. The serrations
start about 1/4" from the end, I would suspect they would work even better
for cleaning plugs if these non serrated tips were cut off as it would allow
the cleener portion to reach right to the bottom of the plug.

Old August 10th 05, 07:08 AM
nuke

This works pretty good, I have one:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...theleadout.php

Run it off a little inverter you can plug into a cigarette lighter in
your car or truck.

In article ,
Peter wrote:

Hi All,

I am looking for something for digging out the lead deposits from the
bottom plugs on an IO-540.

A friend has a very old tool which looks like a swiss army knife, but
instead of the knife blades it has a number of hard steel rods, about
3" long and varying in diameter from 1mm to about 2mm. They are
serrated along their length. I am not sure if this tool was ever
intended for cleaning plugs but it works very well.

Obviously one needs to be careful to not damage the ceramic insulator
(these are Champion iridium fine wire plugs).

What do people use for this? It has to be portable, so mains powered
plug cleaners aren't really suitable, and also I don't think they get
the real deposits out.

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.