brainstorming: homebuilt aerobatic design

Old August 25th 05, 04:02 PM
Shin Gou

Default brainstorming: homebuilt aerobatic design

Hi guys,

I am thinking a homebuilt aerobatic plane and am asking for your
opinion on my idea:

The fuselage is of course 4130 steel tubes welded frame.
The point is the wing: I am thinking about using exact the same
Long-EZ's wings technique, i.e. solid form core+fiber glass cover. Why?
Because I think 1)It's much easier and faster to build than other
materials, no expensive mold, no metal forming, no thousands rivets, no
wood cut and making rib afer rib after rib after rib. 2)The Long-EZ
wing is strong. I read somewhere (may not be true) Burt Rutan tested
the wing structure to 14G and heard some builders tested the wing to
10G themselves, no failures. The wings of Cory Bird's Symmetry are made
in Long-EZ way and it's +-10G strong.

So what you think? Is it a good idea to make an aerobatic airplane's
wings in Long-EZ way?

Shin Gou
Rans S-9
W66

Old August 25th 05, 07:37 PM
john smith

So when this wing is subjected to repetitive high g-loading, how do you
propose to inspect it for damage and at what intervals?

Old August 25th 05, 08:46 PM
rpellicciotti

Dick Rutan's Long-Ez has been subjected to high gee's for years. I
don't see this as a problem. My only concern with this type of design
is that the fuel would need to be in the fuselage. I don't
particularly care for this but most aerobatic airplanes are set up this
way so I guess it is ok with most people.

I used to have a Rans S-9. What a great little airplane and a lot of
fun to fly! I flew it in several IAC contests and had a blast with it.

Rick Pellicciotti
LightSportFlying.com

Old August 26th 05, 02:04 AM
Shin Gou

From what I read composite materials are hard to inspect for damage
from over stress with bare eyes, the same thing either for Long-EZ's
foam and fiberglass wings or for Extra 300's carbon fiber wings. So as
long as there's no failure report for Long-EZ's wings under high G, I
have confidence in it.

Rick, the Rans S-9 is lots of fun for little money. I am sure it's the
cheapest fully aerobatic airplane you can buy in the new or used
market. I've been working on to compete in the IAC chapter 11's contest
here at Warrenton, VA (W66) this fall, but the engine (582) blew out so
I am now waiting for the new engine and may miss my first contest.

I think I actually talked to you at OSH aside the Festival because I
saw the wings are fabric covered. It's a beautiful airplane.

Shin Gou
Rans S-9
W66

Old August 26th 05, 03:08 AM
john smith

rpellicciotti wrote:
Dick Rutan's Long-Ez has been subjected to high gee's for years. I
don't see this as a problem.

The acro routine I watched Dick fly does not involve the sustained,
repetitive high-gs of competition acro.
Dick does not perform agressive acro maneuvers in the Eze.
Old August 26th 05, 06:28 AM

Shin Gou wrote:

market. I've been working on to compete in the IAC chapter 11's contest
here at Warrenton, VA (W66) this fall, but the engine (582) blew out so
I am now waiting for the new engine and may miss my first contest.

Hmm where can I get more information on that contest?

I checked out the iac.org webpages, but their calendar doesn't show
any Fall contests.

--

FF

Old August 26th 05, 01:34 PM
Shin Gou

mid September. Let me check out the exact date.