Vinyl Numbers

Old June 18th 18, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Vinyl Numbers

For years I've prepped the area by buffing to remove wax and contaminants, then centered the numbers and started in the middle. Just to find numerous bubbles trapped under the Vinal........Ugh!!! This morning I buffed the area to apply new COBRA decal to a trailer, wiped the area with a towel and was about to tape on the Vinyl when the low sun angle disclosed little lint balls everywhere! I had imparted a charge to the surface by buffing it. I gave it a few minutes to disparate, then wiped away everything with my hand and guess what? NO BUBBLES!
JJ
Old June 18th 18, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Shocking revelation. Hope you didn't get to much static from the bubbles......;-)

Realistically, low humidity (winter up north, lots of times in deserts) static builds up. A damp towel (acetone or similar) as a final wipe seems to help.
Don't be wearing wool or polyester as they tend to build up a charge just by moving around.
Old June 18th 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 16:02 18 June 2018, Charlie M. UH & 002 owner/pilot wrote:
Shocking revelation. Hope you didn't get to much static from the
bubbles......;-)

Realistically, low humidity (winter up north, lots of times in

deserts)
static builds up. A damp towel (acetone or similar) as a final wipe

seems
to help.
Don't be wearing wool or polyester as they tend to build up a

charge just
by moving around.

About 33 years ago, I asked fellow glider pilot Ron Webster to make
us some Team USA stickers, as he was then President of Gerber
Scientific (which had the patents on all of the new vinyl sign
computer controlled cutting technology). Anyway, he gladly made
up our stickers and furnished application instructions along with
them.

Yes, you have to clean the area, but then you are supposed to use a
spray bottle containing water with a dash of dish soap to spray down
the surface area where the sticker will go, as well as the back of the
sticker. You then apply the sticker. The water solution will even let
you shift it around some until you get it right where you want it.
Then, you use a semi-hard plastic squeegee (starting from the
center) to squeeze out the water and air bubbles working it all
towards the edges. You do this all with the top transfer paper still
attached to the top of the sticker so the squeegeeing doesn't mar
the sticker surface.. When you have the air and water bubbles all
worked out, let it sit overnight, or at least for a few hours so that
the transfer paper can dry out, and the adhesive can set. Then,
finally peel the top transfer paper off at a very sharp angle so that
it doesn't try to lift the new sticker underneath. Done this way,
almost all air/water bubbles are eliminated. Any small ones that
are left can be poked and drained by using a needle.

RO

Old June 18th 18, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 1:15:05 PM UTC-4, Michael Opitz wrote:
[...]

That works really well as long as the transfer or release paper backing doesn't go soggy in water. Test first.
UH
Old June 19th 18, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 2:07:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
That works really well as long as the transfer or release paper backing
doesn't go soggy in water. Test first.
UH

The transfer paper *should* be waterproof enough to do what Mike O describes. I hang out at a place that does vinyl lettering and that is the technique they use. You're not soaking the surface or decal, just getting it damp enough to let it slide around as you place it. Also, it can take several days for the bubbles to completely go away - if you still have any.

5Z
Old June 19th 18, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 7:19:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 2:07:10 PM UTC-7, wrote:
That works really well as long as the transfer or release paper backing
doesn't go soggy in water. Test first.
UH

The transfer paper *should* be waterproof enough to do what Mike O describes. I hang out at a place that does vinyl lettering and that is the technique they use. You're not soaking the surface or decal, just getting it damp enough to let it slide around as you place it. Also, it can take several days for the bubbles to completely go away - if you still have any.

5Z

The 3M 7125 series material I use (intended for sign making and such)has a backing release paper that does not tolerate water. Other than that issue it is great. Thin, goes on easily, available in many colors.
My point is simply check your materials before you go crazy.
UH
Old June 19th 18, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KEN

On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 11:33:03 AM UTC-4, wrote:
For years I've prepped the area by buffing to remove wax and contaminants, then centered the numbers and started in the middle. Just to find numerous bubbles trapped under the Vinal........Ugh!!! This morning I buffed the area to apply new COBRA decal to a trailer, wiped the area with a towel and was about to tape on the Vinyl when the low sun angle disclosed little lint balls everywhere! I had imparted a charge to the surface by buffing it. I gave it a few minutes to disparate, then wiped away everything with my hand and guess what? NO BUBBLES!
JJ

The material that you want to ask for is called air release vinyl. No need to use water. You can install dry with no air bubbles.
Old June 19th 18, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Guess I didn't explain it too well, I believe the air bubbles are caused by lint on the surface. Check for lint with low light angle, then wipe surface with a painters tac-cloth before applying Vinyl.
JJ
Old June 19th 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 8:14:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Guess I didn't explain it too well, I believe the air bubbles are caused by lint on the surface. Check for lint with low light angle, then wipe surface with a painters tac-cloth before applying Vinyl.
JJ

JJ, you were perfectly clear. Thanks for the head's up.

The rest is just thread drift. Should we move on to PW-5s?

Cheers,
Craig
Old June 19th 18, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Wonder if a lint roller would be useful just before vinyl letter application...

Applying Vinyl Contest numbers..... Gary Adams Soaring 0 May 11th 12 10:13 PM
Removing vinyl letters Gary[_5_] Soaring 7 December 31st 11 07:10 PM
vinyl trim source Brad[_2_] Soaring 3 March 23rd 10 06:02 AM
Vinyl letters in foreign language Fly Home Built 5 December 6th 06 11:09 AM
Plastic/Vinyl letters Mel Dawson Soaring 23 February 19th 06 12:46 AM