Trailer shade

Old July 9th 18, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Trailer shade

I Believe this is the kit you used?
http://www.hiscoshelters.com/index.html
Dan
On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 4:57:15 AM UTC-4, rec.aviation.soaring wrote:
On Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 4:47:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My Trailer is kept outdoors during the summer.
Thinking about a shade to protect it from the sun.
Anyone has any ideas/experience ?
Dan

About 12-13 years ago I bought a RV/trailer/boat shelter kit that was plenty big for a Cobra 15 Meter Trailer. The kit uses prefabricated welded tubular fittings and locally purchased chain link fence tubes and a 20-foot by 30-foot tarp. The local fence tubes can be easily cut with a tubing cutter and the tarp is attached with bungees and can easily be removed in case of an approaching hurricane. I have relocated the whole thing a couple of times. The one I have is kind of a "gambrel" roof where the sides of the tarp come down to just a couple of feet above the ground. When the tarp started to weather I painted it with white acrylic paint. Sorry that I cannot remember where I got it but a web search might find it.

Old July 9th 18, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks UH.
These located at your airport I assume. Any permit needed ?
Dan
On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 9:00:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 4:47:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My Trailer is kept outdoors during the summer.
Thinking about a shade to protect it from the sun.
Anyone has any ideas/experience ?
Dan

We have been using "portable garages" which are basically opaque green house structures for about 15 years with good results.
Shelterlogic has been our source. We buy a 14 by 32 shelter that will hold 2 trailers. Cost is on the order of about $2400. They do need to be well secured to the ground. Also make sure ventilation is good.
There are many sources for these products.
Good luck
UH

Old July 9th 18, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 3:34:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks UH.
These located at your airport I assume. Any permit needed ?
Dan
On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 9:00:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 4:47:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My Trailer is kept outdoors during the summer.
Thinking about a shade to protect it from the sun.
Anyone has any ideas/experience ?
Dan

We have been using "portable garages" which are basically opaque green house structures for about 15 years with good results.
Shelterlogic has been our source. We buy a 14 by 32 shelter that will hold 2 trailers. Cost is on the order of about $2400. They do need to be well secured to the ground. Also make sure ventilation is good.
There are many sources for these products.
Good luck
UH

Since they are not a permanent structure, and have no foundation, no permits were needed and they do not affect the taxes for the airport.
Further on my earlier. You can get by with 28 feet long for 15 meter trailers. The 14 foot width gets 2 in. You won't be able to get 2 in the more common 12 foot widths.
Ideally they are placed in an area with some wind shelter.
There are many suppliers of these to choose from.
UH
Old July 10th 18, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 12:02:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Hi Dan,

Yes my kit was from HisCoShelters. It has held up well and is easy to setup and take down but the "galvanized" finish of the welded fittings seemed more like silver paint. I have repainted the fittings with cold galvanizing spray each time I have moved it. I used white acylic ROOF paint to re-coat the original tarp. It has been out in the Florida Sun for a total of about 5 years and is about ready for replacement. I think the total cost for the kit and the local fence pipe was less than $700.

Stuart
Old July 10th 18, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Stuart,
Thanks
Did you get the 12 x 30 size ?
Old July 11th 18, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 2:00:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi Stuart,
Thanks
Did you get the 12 x 30 size ?

Yes it is about 12 feet wide at the bottom and tapers inward as it goes up (not vertical sides). It is big enough to drive through with the trailer and open doors of the vehicle. I wish I could attach a good photo I have of it.