Centrair Pegase in the US

Old August 7th 18, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hans Bodde

Default Centrair Pegase in the US

Hi,

I've read a couple of scary messages about the Centrair Pegase having a max limit of 3000h because of a glitch in translations of manuals.

Does this still hold true, and if yes... (here comes...) are these going to be just fine when they get back to an EASA certification?

Kind regards,

Hans Bodde
Old August 7th 18, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The 3000 hour life limit Airworthiness Directive issued in 2005 has been superseded by a Global Alternate Means of Compliance (AMOC) that authorizes an additional 1500 hours of life, provided the Centrair Maintenance Manual 3000 hour GV Inspection is completed. The AMOC also provides for periodic reviews of the flight hours of the worldwide Pegase glider fleet to allow increases in the 1500 hour figure. This process will be underway soon. Hopefully, a few hundred more hours can be added.

Thanks to airshow pilot Bob Carlton for the hundreds of hours of effort he put into getting the AMOC issued,
Old August 7th 18, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hans Bodde

That's great news for all US owners. And Mr Cartlon has clearly done an amazing job, changing aeronautical legislation is probably more difficult than splitting a sea...

Old August 7th 18, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There used to be a site called savethepegasus.org by Bob and (I think) Mark Macho that kept a running journal of sorts of what went into saving the Pegs in the U.S. It was a document of tenacity and regulatory knowledge on their part. I can't find it anymore but it shows that, on very rare occasions, you can beat city hall. Thanks to their efforts, I now own a Pegase.
Old August 7th 18, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marcel[_2_]

The website can still be found via the Internet Archives (aka "The wayback machine"):

https://web.archive.org/web/20161101...org/index.html

Fascinating story.

Thanks for pointing it out.

=Marcel

Old August 8th 18, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At about the time that the AMOC was going to be issued, the savethepegasus.org website was not updated any longer. There is a lot more to the story, but since some sort of "victory" was imminent, we just kind of lost interest in keeping the record of action and FAA reaction current. It is still a great story about the "triumph" of the little guys vs. the all-seeing, all knowing OZ, or, should I say, the effin' FAA.

In a few words, that do not even BEGIN to explain the final negotiations and conclusions, the end result was that the FAA never had to explain the deviations from their own operating manuals and procedures for the issuance of this AD or explain the illegal implementation of the NPRM and AD. They also managed to avoid a Congressional hearing, in which several senior administrators would be forced to answer some rather pointed questions about bureaucratic over-reach and their accepted practice (documented) about how to lie and divert Congressional inquiries.

But, the effort successfully kept the Pegase fleet in the US flying past the 3,000 hour limit, albeit with only a 1,500 hour extension. One additional benefit resulted, when the author of the AD was booted out of the Certification office of the Small Aircraft Directorate for this and several other bizarre decisions he had promulgated through the authority of his position.

I would have been more satisfied if he had been fired, brought up on charges, tried, convicted and then shot, but them, I was pretty incensed over the situation. Now that I have calmed down some, I can take some satisfaction in my dream that he is sitting in a windowless office about the size of a broom closet, assiduously reviewing documentation that no FAA official has a larger wastebasket than to which the Government Service (GS) rating entitles.

It is worth noting that the same FAA bureaucrat was responsible for the erroneously issued Memo that interpreted the 35 year life limit on the IAR Brasov Twin Lark as a definite "throw it away" mandate. The FAA recently (October 2017) issued a statement that yhis is actually NOT the case, and the Twin Lark CAN be operated past the 35 year life based on condition inspections.

Your tax dollars at use.
Old August 8th 18, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hans Bodde

However big your frustrations might have been - or still are- you have provided the soaring/gliding community with an enormous service. That must be recognised. Thank you sir!

Centrair - Pegase [email protected] Soaring 7 February 25th 17 04:36 PM
Centrair Spares Go Soaring Soaring 2 May 12th 13 04:15 AM
US Centrair Pegasus group? jphoenix Soaring 2 July 15th 05 06:01 PM
Centrair contact Chuck Kotila Soaring 7 May 26th 05 01:47 AM
Centrair Pegase Rudder... [email protected] Soaring 0 May 11th 05 02:13 PM