Lowrance 1000 comments

Old September 27th 05, 12:02 AM
xxx

What I am getting from this is that Lowrance units do seem
to quit more often than Garmin.

Postings here may not be statistically signficant, but it does seem to
me that an awful lot of Lowrance owners have had their machines quit
after a short time of use.

They clearly offer more performance for a given amount of dollars,
though their top-end unit does not have as many features as the
top of the Garmin line. But are they too unreliable? My impression,
just from these postings, is yes.

my Lowrance 1000 crapped out on takeoff, acted like it couldn't
lock on to anything.

Old September 27th 05, 04:01 AM
Dave

Ahhhhh...

However, there is not a product manufactured today that cannot fail in
sufficient numbers to keep many people employed fixing them.

It WILL happen, I am convinced of that.

To me, not very often, but when it does, I need a dealer/manufacturer
to stand behind the product.

Both Garmins and Magellans have required service around here, and one
Lowrance, (ours)

The response to our issue by Lowrance MORE than "met our
expectations"

So we are happy ....

IMHO, these postings are FAR too small a sample to draw any
reliability data from.....

YMMV

Dave

Old September 27th 05, 10:52 AM
Chris Schmelzer

If anyone would like to buy a new (used once before I bought a plane
with both a PDA based WxWorks system and a Avmap-IIIc) Lowrance Airmap
1000, let me know. It still even has the warranty card!

--
Chris Schmelzer, MD

Old September 29th 05, 05:55 AM
xxx

The terrain upgrade feature for the 2000c is available now. I just
wrote to Lowrance. Here is what they sent back:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The Terrain Awareness is now available for
purchase. It is $99.95 and
includes the Version 1.4 software update, the taxiway data, the most
current Jeppesen data, and
the Terrain Awareness file. It comes on a 512 MB SD card with approx.
80MB of free space left over
for adding custom maps. This is only compatible with the Airmap 2000.
You may purchase the Terrain
Awareness Update from your preferred Lowrance Aviation Retailer, or
from our parts department;
LEI-Extras. They may be contacted via the toll free number or web
address listed at the bottom of
this email reply. The part details and price is listed below."

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Wizard,

the terrain upgrade for the 2000c should be coming out real soon now.
The 1000 won't get that. if terrain is important to you, that might be
a reason for the 2000c.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 30th 05, 03:14 AM
Dave

Oooooooo......Yummy!

Well..... At least they deliver...

They told me in June that it should be out in Sept/Oct...

Dave