Finally!

Old October 17th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default Finally!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Wizard of Draws wrote:
I did have to caution my Co-pilot at one point during our return flight
however, when he kept pressing the push-to-talk button without my

knowledge,
causing me much confusion and sending me looking for the loose headset
connection.

While I understand your joy and that of the other posters who have had
children get involved in aviation, I wonder whether there is a safety
issue in having such a small child with access to the PTT switch and
other controls. If the radio confusion had happened during a time of
pilot overload, it could have had serious consequences. Maybe I'm
missing something, but I was surprised that no one else mentioned this
possibility.

Children ad jueveniles are not infants.

The only serious problems that I have ever heard reported involving children
at the controls involved some attempt to set a record for the youngest to
complete a flight or tour as sole manipulator of the controls. The most
infamous (and possibly only) case led to dissaster, IIRC, because of a
terminal case of "get there itis" on the parts of the father who had become
fixated on the media attention which they had received up to that point, and
the failure of the flight instructor to "just say no".

Peter

Old October 17th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Richard Riley[_1_]

Peter Dohm wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Wizard of Draws wrote:
[...]

There was also the 23 March 1994, Aeroflot Airbus 310 crash in Siberia
after the pilot allowed his 15-year-old son to take the controls.

But generally I agree. I can overpower anything a 2 year old does in
the cockpit. A friend of mine was instructing at the Air Force Academy
a few years ago. She was 22, 5'7, 120 lbs. Her student, on his first
flight, played linebacker. He froze with the yolk full aft. She
finally bashed him across the face with her maglight to get him to let
go. (He washed out)

Old October 18th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Wizard of Draws[_2_]

On 10/17/06 3:00 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

Wizard of Draws wrote:
I did have to caution my Co-pilot at one point during our return flight
however, when he kept pressing the push-to-talk button without my knowledge,
causing me much confusion and sending me looking for the loose headset
connection.

While I understand your joy and that of the other posters who have had
children get involved in aviation, I wonder whether there is a safety
issue in having such a small child with access to the PTT switch and
other controls. If the radio confusion had happened during a time of
pilot overload, it could have had serious consequences. Maybe I'm
missing something, but I was surprised that no one else mentioned this
possibility.

His seat was pushed back to the stops during takeoffs and landings, and only
pushed forward when we were straight and level. The yoke (with the PTT
button) was all that he could reach at that time. Mommy was in the back seat
and could be enlisted to help if needed. On a severe clear day during a 25
mile flight, pilot overload was pretty remote without a catastrophic
failure.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old October 18th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:00:44 -0500, GeorgeC wrote:

I was aiming that at Jay Honeck and his reluctant 13 yr. old.

Understood.

Looks like
you won't need any carrots.

I hope you're right. Still, children have a way of surprising. So I
thank you for your idea, which I will hold in reserve Just In Case.

- Andrew