GPS for NDB IAF on ILS?

Old February 11th 05, 10:32 PM

Roy Smith wrote:

How much integrity does an ADF have? I'll take an non-RAIM-ified
purple line over "it's still beeping" any day.

All that "proves" is that ADF, at least the way its used in light aircraft,
is no good.

OTOH, in Eastern Europe, where NDB approaches used to be the only way to get
into a lot of places, and the aircraft had RMIs and two ADF receivers, the
pilots got good results in lock-stepping the usual two NDBs.

This is something the USAF neither understood nor was equipped to do when
they took out Secretary Brown.

Old February 13th 05, 07:19 AM
Gene Whitt

Y'All,
The ILS existed in 1930 much as it is today. But bureacratic rules required
zero-zero performance for government financing. It was not until weather
and operational conditions successfully killed more airmen than all combat
opereations that reason and logic allowed the military use of the ILS.

I am in the process of composing a technical paper that I hope will
give the 'new' FAA a jump start in a safety program that will break
all existing safety records in most major categories. More another time.
Gene Whitt

Old February 14th 05, 04:45 AM
Russ MacDonald

I think the reason you aren't supposed to do it is that for a stand-alone
NDB approach, the accuracy of the location of the NDB in the GPS database
has not been verified.

"Newps" wrote in message

Jim Burns wrote:

Thanks. Just got home and that was my interpretation of the AIM. As for
Jose's question, Newps answer concerns an NDB only approach, not a NDB
GPS
overlay, and the reason being is that because in an NDB only approach you
must have the proper radios for the approach.

Which is baloney. My terminal/enroute GPS has the NDB in its database.
There's no reason I can't fly the NDB approach with my GPS. And I'll fly
it 100 times more accurately than anybody else with an ADF.

Old February 15th 05, 01:20 PM

Gene Whitt wrote:

I am in the process of composing a technical paper that I hope will
give the 'new' FAA a jump start in a safety program that will break
all existing safety records in most major categories. More another time.
Gene Whitt

Must be great to be the only person with such special insights.