Lowrance 1000 comments

Old September 19th 05, 03:32 AM
Wizard of Draws

Default Lowrance 1000 comments

The plane I usually rent is probably going to be sold relatively soon. I
will miss the Garmin 430 since most of the planes left in the fleet
available to me do not have a GPS at all.

So I am looking at the Lowrance Airmap 1000 as a portable alternative, but
for the life of me, can't find a single negative comment about it. Does
anyone have a good reason *not* to buy one? I fly for a hobby and benign IFR
at most.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old September 19th 05, 05:20 AM
Jay Honeck

So I am looking at the Lowrance Airmap 1000 as a portable alternative, but
for the life of me, can't find a single negative comment about it. Does
anyone have a good reason *not* to buy one?

It's black and white?

Their model 2000c is a really, really nice color unit, for not a lot of
AMUs. IMHO, it's worth the extra buckos.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 19th 05, 06:32 AM
Chris G.

Yes, I have a good reason...The Airmap 2000c. It's in color and that is
the primary difference between the two units. The display is VERY
readable in the sun and is not toooooo bright at night (on its dim
setting). Lowrance has great support, so I've found to this point.
I've had mine since the late July. I paid $749.00 and you *might* still
be able to get it for that price. I bought mine at Pacific Coast
Avionics. (http://www.pca.aero OR http://www.pacific-coast-avionics.com
[both are the same site] They've been good to me in the past.

No, I do not work for Lowrance or PCA, but I do live near PCA and am
happy with both companies' products/services.

Chris G.

Old September 19th 05, 08:02 AM
Chris Schmelzer

In article ws.net,
"Chris G." nospam@noemail wrote:

Yes, I have a good reason...The Airmap 2000c. It's in color and that is
the primary difference between the two units. The display is VERY
readable in the sun and is not toooooo bright at night (on its dim
setting). Lowrance has great support, so I've found to this point.
I've had mine since the late July. I paid $749.00 and you *might* still
be able to get it for that price. I bought mine at Pacific Coast
Avionics. (http://www.pca.aero OR http://www.pacific-coast-avionics.com
[both are the same site] They've been good to me in the past.

No, I do not work for Lowrance or PCA, but I do live near PCA and am
happy with both companies' products/services.

Chris G.

I disagree.. Color is nice, but the truth of the matter is color units
have crappy battery life. If you really want a unit that is a good
emergency backup unit I think the Airmap 500 or 1000 are good
alternatives. The 1000 is easy to read in any light and runs for over
10 hours on batteries alone....

It does airspace, extended runway centerlines and is very easy to carry
and use...

--
Chris Schmelzer, MD

Old September 19th 05, 01:58 PM
Jay Honeck

I disagree.. Color is nice, but the truth of the matter is color units
have crappy battery life. If you really want a unit that is a good
emergency backup unit I think the Airmap 500 or 1000 are good
alternatives.

I've got the AvMap IIIc, and the Airmap 2000c. Only the Airmap has internal
batteries at all, and they will only last a few hours (maybe 3?) when on
internal power.

Of course, that's more than plenty of time to get down, if you really need
to.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 19th 05, 02:00 PM
Dan Luke

"Wizard of Draws" wrote:

So I am looking at the Lowrance Airmap 1000 ... Does
anyone have a good reason *not* to buy one?

It doesn't do weather.

It's a new world for portable GPS since Garmin released the 396. If you
can't bring yourself to part with $2,500 now, just wait awhile: Lowrance
probably has a wx-capable unit in the works that will put some price pressure
on Garmin.

Flying xcountry down South without satellite wx is unthinkable for me now
that I've seen how much utility it adds to the airplane. IMO, you should
plan on getting a portable that will give you this wonderful capability. I
would not buy a new unit that won't show you where the boomers are; you can
always get a nice used unit if you want to wait for prices to come down.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old September 19th 05, 02:36 PM
Dan Luke

"Chris Schmelzer" wrote:

I disagree.. Color is nice, but the truth of the matter is color units
have crappy battery life.

I've tested my 396's battery life at half brightness. It worked for 5+
hours; hardly crappy. The screen was still quite viewable at that setting,
too.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old September 19th 05, 07:22 PM
Barney Rubble

Also the color 2000 display has a lower resolution than the 1000. I love my
1000, it does everything I need from a handheld, and the added accessories
such as the yoke mount, windshield mount, remote GPS antennae etc, did it
for me.

- Barney

Old September 19th 05, 09:58 PM
Montblack

("Dan Luke" wrote)
Flying xcountry down South without satellite wx is unthinkable for me now
that I've seen how much utility it adds to the airplane. IMO, you should
plan on getting a portable that will give you this wonderful capability.
I would not buy a new unit that won't show you where the boomers are; you
can always get a nice used unit if you want to wait for prices to come
down.

Will it show this?
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/153924.shtml?3day
Rita...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/153924.shtml?prob
Rita...

Dan,
Send me your mailing address and I'll brown truck you a gift.
(Ok, I picked it up at a garage sale, but it works!)

Montblack
y's and 4's ...not!

Old September 19th 05, 11:53 PM
LWG

It absolutely breaks my heart that I'm going to have to cough up $2500 plus
big bucks for monthly weather service when I had almost the same
functionality with my 295 and Palm Pilot running Cheap *******s weather. In
flight weather, email and automatic aircraft position reporting on the net.