The Differences Between PPLicensing And Learning

Old March 12th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

Default The Differences Between PPLicensing And Learning

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:07:02 -0700 (PDT), Michael wrote:

One of the ways I am pursuing this is an highly active academic one, it
would premise that the more one knows the better decisions can be made as
to what needs learning.

This is a pretty decent assumption in an academic environment, largely
because of the peer review process. Stuff generally gets peer
reviewed both before publication (formally) and after (informally),
and the trash doesn't stick around. There is precious little peer
review in general aviation. There simply are not good books about how
to effectively use a light aircraft as reliable transportation. The
vast majority of training material is focused on commercial aviation,
military aviation, or passing exams. What little is left is generally
not peer reviewed in any way, is often wildly inaccurate, and
basically has all the problems of usenet - other than spam, poor
grammar/spelling/style, and personal attacks. On the other hand, it
is often out of date - see above.

Thx for that, Michael.
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
Old March 12th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:59:31 -0700 (PDT), Euan Kilgour wrote:

On Mar 1, 2:48 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

When you look at flight training as this never ending learning curve I'm
describing to you here, you might begin to see that it's not getting
through the program that will keep you alive in the air, but what you
RETAIN and form into HABIT PATTERNS that is the important factor.

After getting a PPL and flying for a couple of years, I can see why
Dudley is correct. Those habit patterns you learn early in your
flying training WILL save your life, I guarantee it. Flying is like
life, you are always learning how to do it while never truly mastering
it.

Sorta Catch 22, Cruel Shoe scenario. When you are least able to select your
CFI and leaning environment.....
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
Old March 14th 08, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:12:25 -0400, WJRFlyBoy
wrote:

I won't and the offer is much appreciated, Dudley. Two things back for you:

One, your reputation precedes you, more than one emailer has told me you
are open to off Usenet advice.

Two, I understand (somewhat) your frustrations with Usenet, keep reminding
yourself that the best you have to give you may have already given. The
archives are, imo, as good, in ways better, tools of goodwill. You have
several lifetimes already compiled there and if you drop your pants a
little lower, I'll kiss the bottom of your butt too.

OHHHHMMYYYYGAWD No!
That's more than I really needed to hear.
I have a strong constutition and a very high pain threshold, but the
thought of that is almost more than I can bare..er bear...aw, never
mind.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 14th 08, 09:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:14:16 -0400, Roger wrote:

OHHHHMMYYYYGAWD No!
That's more than I really needed to hear.
I have a strong constutition and a very high pain threshold, but the
thought of that is almost more than I can bare..er bear...aw, never
mind.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Roger, I have a Streak lookalike, 20 weeks now, replacement kitten like
yours :}}
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!
I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,
Old March 15th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 05:39:31 -0400, WJRFlyBoy
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:14:16 -0400, Roger wrote:

OHHHHMMYYYYGAWD No!
That's more than I really needed to hear.
I have a strong constutition and a very high pain threshold, but the
thought of that is almost more than I can bare..er bear...aw, never
mind.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Roger, I have a Streak lookalike, 20 weeks now, replacement kitten like
yours :}}

If he/she/or it grows up like Streak you'd beter plan on a second job
so you can afford to keep him fed.:-))

He's afraid of strangers, but will attack a dog that is 10 times his
size.
Old March 15th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:17:01 -0400, Roger wrote:

Roger, I have a Streak lookalike, 20 weeks now, replacement kitten like
yours :}}

If he/she/or it grows up like Streak you'd beter plan on a second job
so you can afford to keep him fed.:-))

bad news, my Tommy has a twin brother. yikes!

He's afraid of strangers, but will attack a dog that is 10 times his
size.

Yep, got two of those too.