distributor for "osran" gooseneck light?

Old September 14th 03, 08:29 PM
Doug Vetter

Default distributor for "osran" gooseneck light?

Hi all,

Was hoping to do a lot of night flying this fall/winter but before we do
that I need to get some decent flood lighting in our 172 cockpit. The
overhead stock light is a JOKE.

While looking at AirMod's site (good interior shop), I noticed they had
PDF versions of the work they did for AOPA. In the "AeroSUV" article,
the light I want is pictured and referred to only as an "Osran Reading
Light".

I did the usual searches and came up empty. Before I call somebody at
AOPA or AirMod to find out more, anyone here have any ideas on where I
can buy these?

Here's the article in question...

http://www.airmod.com/articles/PDF/Aero%20SUV%20206.pdf

-Doug
--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------

Old September 14th 03, 08:35 PM
Sven

"Doug Vetter" wrote in message
.net...
While looking at AirMod's site (good interior shop), I noticed they had
PDF versions of the work they did for AOPA. In the "AeroSUV" article,
the light I want is pictured and referred to only as an "Osran Reading
Light".

I did the usual searches and came up empty. Before I call somebody at
AOPA or AirMod to find out more, anyone here have any ideas on where I
can buy these?

Try searching for Osram instead of Osran. Came up with many, one is:
http://www.aedwis.com/lighting.html

Old September 14th 03, 08:52 PM
Doug Vetter

Sven wrote:
Try searching for Osram instead of Osran. Came up with many, one is:
http://www.aedwis.com/lighting.html

DUH! Unless I'm going crazy, they misspelled it in the article.

Only problem is they don't seem to be FAA/PMA approved. And, the model
pictured seems to be a white light only...and I'm looking primarily for
a red flood.

How the hell do people get this stuff approved for installation in
certfied aircraft? Whenever I ask my mechanic to put this stuff in they
just scrunch up their face, tilt their head a bit, and tell me "not
approved, can't install it".

During my search I found a nice grimes replacement that will do what I
want (switchable white/red, pivoting mount, removable from the mounting
post, etc.) at Aircraft Spruce...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...kpitlights.php

but alas, it's not FAA/PMA approved either(!)

Thanks for the quick reply Sven...I'll keep looking.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------

Old September 14th 03, 11:39 PM
Ray Andraka

Talk to your FSDO. PMA approval only means you can install it in place of
something already there, and then only if this part is approved for that
application in that aircraft type/model/serial range. PMA basically is
permission for someone other than the original manufacturer to manufacture
the part. Technically, you can install anything on the aircraft if you go
through the field approval process. Practically speaking, however, there
are many things that are not worth the amount and cost of the paperwork and
of convincing the FSDO that the modification is airworthy.

Doug Vetter wrote:

Sven wrote:
[...]

--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950
email
http://www.andraka.com

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old September 16th 03, 09:57 PM
Sandy Mustard

You'll find the exact same Osram lights on the first class seats on
Delta's 777. SO it must be approved somewhere.

Sandy Mustard

Old September 16th 03, 10:02 PM
Ron Natalie

"Sandy Mustard" wrote in message ...

You'll find the exact same Osram lights on the first class seats on
Delta's 777. SO it must be approved somewhere.

Why would you put one of these in a GA cockpit. You don't need anything that is
10x brighter than a conventional light.