Bothersome Phillips Head Screws

Old January 9th 04, 09:05 AM
Roger Halstead

On 6 Jan 2004 23:44:23 -0800, (Snowbird)
wrote:

"Larry Smith" wrote in message ...
Doing a little work on old Cessnas for fun these days and have to tell you I
don't like Phillips head screws. The slightest corrosion and they stick
and freeze. Then your Snap-On screwdriver (make sure it fits) wallows the
head out, as you grunt and cuss.

One thing I haven't seen in this thread, is dousing the suckers
with the penetrating oil of one's choice a day or so before
planned maintenance.

Just back up a few of my posts. I brought up both Kroil and WD-40 for
"the day before" :-))

This works wonders on yuccky corroded steel or aluminum which
has spent years in a cold, very corrosive environment w/out
any maintenance at all, but I haven't had occasion to try it
on a plane (no corroded screws yet on ours, certain not in
the commonly-off parts like wheelpants).

Sure does. Either Kroil or WD-40. The WD-40 has the advantage it
doesn't stay around as long as the Kroil. Which is great as I had a
good half can of the stuff set loose in the back of the 4-runner.
After 3 weeks the smell is pretty well gone. (or my sinuses are shot)

Doesn't this work on planes? I can see where a pro in a maintenance
shop wouldn't have the time to wait, but when working "for fun"...

Some times you don't have time to not wait. :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Sydney

Old January 9th 04, 09:07 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:53:28 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

I see from the website that they sell mail order primarily. Does anybody know
if there is a local outlet for the stuff? I tried the usual aviation supply
houses (K-Mart, Kragen, True Value, etc.) and couldn't find any on the shelf.

Try machine shops and industrial supply houses.

I've never checked at Lowe's or Home Depot.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Jim

(m alexander)

-Kroil http://www.kanolabs.com
-
-Works much better than WD-40

http://www.rst-engr.com

Old January 9th 04, 04:08 PM
Jim Weir

Don't be silly. Those are the folks who cook the potatos at a fish and chips
dinner. Those are the Chip Monks.

Jim

-Have you ever seen the cartoons where the cannibals are cooking missionaries
in
-huge pots? They are incorrect in doing that. They are Franciscan Monks and are
-thus friars.

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 10th 04, 04:26 AM
StellaStar

is he into SCA or that sort of thing?

He would be, if he met anybody who'd talk him into going to Society for
Creative Anachronism events...and if I'd oblige him by making him a great
swirling cape or (his preference) a spiffy coat like the guy in Matrix. He's
done extensive damage to a bookcase in his room, the only furniture he's
officially allowed to deface because it's worthless, and last week had to make
his first ever visit to an emergency room. He fell on his sword, in a way, and
needed stitches in one finger.

I didn't even take the opportunity to make the easy jokes. He loves me :-)