We Are All Spaniards

Old March 26th 04, 03:56 PM
Paul Sengupta

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Newps wrote:

Then why do you live there?

Because my wife lives here.

I wouldn't hold out so much hope for other places. The big
telecomms firms are all down and none are recruiting on either
side of the pond. My ex-boss was/is pretty much in charge of
transferring all support out of Richardson (TX) to Montreal and
to Mexico. He's a manager now in Mexico.

Our stuff in Santa Barbera has also shut down.

I know others are doing worse. At least we've pretty much
stopped laying people off now.

Paul

Old March 26th 04, 04:07 PM
Doug Carter

Paul Sengupta wrote:

My cousin in India wanted to move to Canada and get a job in IT.
His other choice was somewhere in Europe. I told him he's nuts as
the only only place booming in IT at the moment is India. He's got
a far greater chance of getting a job there.

What is the salary/cost of living ratio (for comparable U.S. conditions)
in India? Clearly there are a lot of software writers in India but I've
heard they don't make a lot.

Asked another way, what are his prospects for achieving a comparable
standard of living in India to what he might be able to do in the U.S.?
Old March 26th 04, 04:12 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Guess if I ever do come to Iowa City (not honestly very likely), I'll
be looking for another hotel.

Sad, but we'll get by without you, John.

If a conversation about world politics so upsets your delicate nature, I

can
only wonder how you survive in the real world.

Well, I, for one, am looking forward to meeting Jay in April.
Hopefully we can have some beers together and have a good
discussion about all this sort of stuff.

Oh, and maybe going to see some aviation museums...

Paul

Old March 26th 04, 04:14 PM
Paul Sengupta

I think that was Iraqis.

Paul

"Newps" wrote in message
Last week I heard that 70% of the Brits approved of the war. Was this
in error?

Old March 26th 04, 04:41 PM
Dylan Smith

In article pDV8c.98339$Cb.1264816@attbi_s51, Jay Honeck wrote:
I doubt things have improved much -- although, if your reproduction rates
keep dropping, your welfare states will soon evaporate.

There are *far* too many people on this planet - a drop in reproduction
rates is a *good* thing. The oil isn't going to last forever, and our
highly productive intensive agricultural systems are absolutely
dependent on oil. Humans need to downsize, or the Earth will downsize
us.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 26th 04, 04:45 PM
Dylan Smith

In article KJV8c.97233$1p.1451082@attbi_s54, Jay Honeck wrote:
Or when I must pay $1800 for a stupid transponder. (Hell, I was looking at
lawn tractors yesterday, and balked at spending $1000, cuz it was too
expensive. Think about that a minute...)

What is it with transponders? They have to be the least reliable part on
any aircraft I've flown. They don't have lots of moving parts like a
gyro, yet they fail for the fun of it. ATC should just reply by default,
"N12345, not getting your transponder" whenever someone calls up.

Old March 26th 04, 05:02 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article pDV8c.98339$Cb.1264816@attbi_s51, Jay Honeck wrote:
I doubt things have improved much -- although, if your reproduction

rates
keep dropping, your welfare states will soon evaporate.

There are *far* too many people on this planet - a drop in reproduction
rates is a *good* thing. The oil isn't going to last forever,

Throughout history, such shortages were always a factor in humanit's
existance. Going al the way back to the ancient empires, copper, wood, coal,
whale oil, etc. always had a crisis. (Economics is the study creating plenty
out of scarcity).

and our
highly productive intensive agricultural systems

Highly _what_ intensive?

are absolutely
dependent on oil.

A hundred years ago it was manual labor intensive, using animal power.
Industry was coal fired/steam powered.

Who'd thunk just a few generations later...

Humans need to downsize, or the Earth will downsize
us.

Thomas Malthus said that over 200 years ago (IOW: I'm okay, you're okay,
everyone else is excess) when the earth population was, what, a fifth what
it is today? At the time, maybe 5% of people lived beyond a subsistence
existence. Well, fast forward 200 years and TADA!! more people, more
prosperity, higher living standards, longer life expectancy...

Paul Erlich has been a media darling for over twenty-five years making
predictions that not only didn't come true, but were 180 degrees wrong.

Maybe what we're running out of is creative genius...that wonderfully human
characteristic.

Tom
--
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

Old March 26th 04, 05:36 PM
Frank

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message ...

snip

And besides, by putting someone like this in charge of the commission

could
conceivably do more to foster human rights because of the extra scrutiny.

You're not serious, are you?

Sure, why not? You didn't miss the word 'conceivably' did you?

I at least consider the possiblity that someone who comes from a place that
has a history of human rights abuse might have the perspective and
motivation to effectivly oppose such abuses. For all I know he may have a
long history of opposing the Lybian government, which would probably make
him a hero to folks like us.

Diplomat, former journalist? I've never heard of him, does he have some
record of human rights abuse? Or does he have a history of speaking out
against oppression?

From Libya? You're not serious, are you?

Yeah I'm serious. I asked the question because I have never heard of this
person. Apparently you have since you are so sure he is absolutely the
wrong choice for such a position. I'm asking what he has done that should
disqualify him. I mean, as an educated, free thinking person you wouldn't
expect me to assume that a person is good or bad based solely on his
passport?

--
Frank....H
Old March 26th 04, 05:46 PM
Frank

Wdtabor wrote:

In article , Frank writes:

Not all Arabs, specifically the ones that are interested in peace do not.
Hamas' support dries up as soon as this new state is created and the
people no longer have to pass thru Israeli checkpoints to get to work.

Since all the econimic activity is in Israel, and that is where the work
is, a Palestinian state will still mean passing through Israeli
checkpoints to get to work.

Don

Thanks, I forgot to consider that after the creation of a new state there is
no possibility of anything else changing in the peoples lives. And those
principles of capitalism we usually apply everywhere else would never work
in a place like that.

--
Frank....H
Old March 26th 04, 05:55 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Doug Carter" wrote in message
Paul Sengupta wrote:

My cousin in India wanted to move to Canada and get a job in IT.
His other choice was somewhere in Europe. I told him he's nuts as
the only only place booming in IT at the moment is India. He's got
a far greater chance of getting a job there.

What is the salary/cost of living ratio (for comparable U.S. conditions)
in India? Clearly there are a lot of software writers in India but I've
heard they don't make a lot.

Asked another way, what are his prospects for achieving a comparable
standard of living in India to what he might be able to do in the U.S.?

Not really sure. It's difficult to equate standard of living in different
places. Houses are different, roads are different, shops are different.
In India, it's quite easy for a normal middle class family to employ:
1) A driver
2) Someone to look after the kids
3) A maid to cook and clean.

This would be pretty unthinkable for someone in the US. Food and
restaurants are much cheaper, but luxury goods are on a par. So it
depends what you want. An Indian lady I spoke to who'd spent a
few months in the UK complained she didn't like it here so much, as
no one had the time to do dinner for big groups of friends every other
night. People came home from work and just ate with their families...
a dinner party was a big thing, as the host had to shop, cook, serve,
do the washing up, etc, whereas in India you had your servants do
all that for you.

On the other hand, you are pretty much unable to afford a big car.

The GA scene is pretty dire in India too. Of the flying clubs I've been
to, they had between 1 and 3 working planes, and very few of the
emerging wealthy had any interest in flying these old, slow Cessna
things, let alone the old Pushpaks (like Aeronca Chiefs).
(description he http://aero.iisc.ernet.in/~flight/flight.html#pus )

Paul