Avg. days with t'storms

Old June 30th 05, 05:39 PM
Dan Luke

Default Avg. days with t'storms

http://www.weatherpages.com/variety/thunderstorms.html

Old June 30th 05, 06:15 PM
Mitch

Looking at that map, it kind of makes you wonder how all those flight
schools in Florida get thier students flight time!

Great map though!

Old June 30th 05, 06:19 PM
Bob Gardner

Compared to all of the places I have lived...Indiana, Connecticut, Florida,
Texas, Virginia, and Maryland, the map confirms my choice to live in
Seattle.

Bob Gardner

Old June 30th 05, 06:51 PM
Hotel 179

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
http://www.weatherpages.com/variety/thunderstorms.html

--------------------------reply------------------------------------

Hello All,

I called Flight Service for a briefing and was told that VFR is not
recommended. I told her, "Don't worry. Down here, VFR is never
recommended."

Ya'll come to see us along the Redneck Riviera. JKA in Gulf Shores, Alabama
now has an ILS on 27, freq. is 110.7.

Later...

Stephen
Just across the Bay from Mobile, Alabama

Old June 30th 05, 07:43 PM
Icebound

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
Compared to all of the places I have lived...Indiana, Connecticut,
Florida, Texas, Virginia, and Maryland, the map confirms my choice to live
in Seattle.

There is no free lunch. :-)

On a list of 285 USA cities (including possessions such as Puerto Rico),
Seattle ranks 38th on the list of AVERAGE number of
days-with-precipitation... and a lot of those are Alaskan mountain stations,
or tropical (Hawaii, American Samoa, Marshall Islands, Puerto Rico, etc.).
If I pull out the tropicals (leaving Alaska in), you are 25th out of 272.

155 days a year with measurable precipitation. That means days in which it
did more than a few spits. It had to at least wet the ground.

Oh, and how about number of hours of sunshine as a percentage of total
possible?
How about 160th out of the 174 USA stations who report such things. A
pitiful 47-percent of possible vs. Miami's 70-percent (25th overall).

NWS data based on Sea-Tac airport records.

No thunderstorms, but no sun either. :-)

Old June 30th 05, 08:42 PM
John Galban

Dan Luke wrote:
http://www.weatherpages.com/variety/thunderstorms.html

I was expecting to see Phoenix high up on the list due to our Monsoon
season (T-stms most every day), but since the season only lasts about
2.5 months, I suppose the rest of the year brings the average down
pretty substantially.

I can personally vouch for Great Falls, MT's high ranking on the
windy city list (next page). GTF is the only place I've ever had to
cancel a flight because it was too windy to untie the plane.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old June 30th 05, 09:19 PM
Bob Gardner

You're right. "Wet the ground" is the standard. Unlike those days back in
the midwest, gulf, and east coasts, we seldom see downpours that require
drivers to pull over and stop until the rain ends. I don't own an umbrella,
and while I have a waterproof jacket, it stays in the car just in case. The
OP's map talks of thunderstorms, however, and in addition to precip that
means high winds and lightning. I do not miss those components of TRWs. A
lightning storm makes headlines in the papers and brings out the worst in
local TV folks: "I have Dave from Lynnwood on the line...what are the
conditions out there, Dave?" "Oh, lightning struck a tree and the power is
out?? Keep us informed, Dave. Now to Sharon in Federal Way...how is the
storm affecting your area, Sharon??" "Stay with us for the latest on the
lightning storm."

Days without sunshine? Have you heard about melanoma? When we go east or
south to where the skies are an unrelieved blue, we can hardly wait to see
the clouds peek over the mountains as we return.

Bob Gardner

Old June 30th 05, 09:50 PM
Nathan Young

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:17:50 -0400, Dave Butler wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:
http://www.weatherpages.com/variety/thunderstorms.html

Yeah, thanks, Dan. Someone posted something the other day about how they lived
in the worst area for thunderstorms - the midwest. I was thinking of responding,
but you just can't respond to everything.

I don't believe the link Dan sent is adjusted for seasons. It is days
with tstorms per year. So that actually is not a good measure for
tstorm intensity or frequency for that matter. We need it broken down
by months to be of value. The Midwest does not get many T-storms in
the Winter, which is about 6 months of the year in Chicago.

On this same subject. Midwest tstorms are frequently 45k+ feet. Is
this common in other areas? From my aviation readings, I was lead to
believe that the Florida/Louisiana storms tend to top in the 30s, and
hence are less intense.

-Nathan

Old June 30th 05, 10:15 PM
Dan Luke

"Nathan Young" wrote:

I don't believe the link Dan sent is adjusted for seasons. It is

days
with tstorms per year. So that actually is not a good measure for
tstorm intensity...

No.

...or frequency for that matter.
We need it broken down
by months to be of value. The Midwest does not get many T-storms in
the Winter, which is about 6 months of the year in Chicago.

Neither does Mobile, except when cold fronts pass.

On this same subject. Midwest tstorms are frequently 45k+ feet. Is
this common in other areas? From my aviation readings, I was lead to
believe that the Florida/Louisiana storms tend to top in the 30s, and
hence are less intense.

They vary, but the're almost always 45k'. Truly violent boomers
capable of producing property damage are not common in sunmmer, but
often accompany fronts in spring and fall.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old June 30th 05, 10:20 PM
Dan Luke

"Hotel 179" wrote:

I called Flight Service for a briefing and was told that VFR is not
recommended. I told her, "Don't worry. Down here, VFR is never
recommended."

Down here, you just have to learn to deal with CBs or you won't do much
flying.

Ya'll come to see us along the Redneck Riviera. JKA in Gulf Shores,
Alabama now has an ILS on 27, freq. is 110.7.

A major improvement over that old VOR approach off Brookley, isn't it?

Stephen
Just across the Bay from Mobile, Alabama

What do you fly, Stephen?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

easy money in 30 days trip Home Built 0 March 11th 05 03:55 AM
So I invested my US$6°°.....GUESS WHAT!!!... less than ten days later, I received money [email protected] Owning 1 January 16th 05 06:48 AM
Reno Air Races -- 2600 Miles in 2 Days! Jay Honeck Piloting 88 September 25th 04 03:48 PM
Review of Eleven Days of Christmas--was Friendly Fire Notebook Ed Rasimus Military Aviation 1 April 18th 04 11:15 PM
Private Pilot in 10 days Gilan Piloting 31 July 16th 03 12:12 AM