"Biggest balls" award at Oshkosh, or, Do I Just Lack Ambition?

Old August 6th 05, 09:46 PM
Mark Smith

Default "Biggest balls" award at Oshkosh, or, Do I Just Lack Ambition?

John Ross wrote:

Anybody else see the Strongmobile "Magic Dragon" mock-up?

Here's his website, with photos from Oshkosh.

http://www.strongware.com/dragon/

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but this thing reminded me of what the
Flintstones might fly. Reading this guy's website fills me with a
morbid fascination combined with astonishment.

JR

Is there anything 'certifiable' about this other than the creator ?
--
Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales

Old August 6th 05, 11:58 PM
wmbjk

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:34:49 -0500, John Ross
wrote:

Anybody else see the Strongmobile "Magic Dragon" mock-up?

Here's his website, with photos from Oshkosh.

http://www.strongware.com/dragon/

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but this thing reminded me of what the
Flintstones might fly. Reading this guy's website fills me with a
morbid fascination combined with astonishment.

JR

Nurse! Intravenous almond butter! STAT!
http://www.moller.com/about/history/lifeext/

Dr. Wayne
Old August 7th 05, 12:18 AM
Scott

I'll pass, thank you.

I'm not into airplanes with almost 27 pounds per square foot wing

Scott

Old August 7th 05, 01:02 AM
jerry wass

Mark Smith wrote:
John Ross wrote:

Anybody else see the Strongmobile "Magic Dragon" mock-up?

Here's his website, with photos from Oshkosh.

http://www.strongware.com/dragon/

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but this thing reminded me of what the
Flintstones might fly. Reading this guy's website fills me with a
morbid fascination combined with astonishment.

JR

Is there anything 'certifiable' about this other than the creator ? Lovett!!

Old August 7th 05, 03:25 AM
ORVAL FAIRAIRN

In article , Mark Smith
wrote:

John Ross wrote:

Anybody else see the Strongmobile "Magic Dragon" mock-up?

Here's his website, with photos from Oshkosh.

http://www.strongware.com/dragon/

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but this thing reminded me of what the
Flintstones might fly. Reading this guy's website fills me with a
morbid fascination combined with astonishment.

JR

Is there anything 'certifiable' about this other than the creator ?

Having read the website, I think that the whole thing is a satire on
Moller's "Skycar." He presents the whole thing with tongue firmly
embedded in cheek! ROTFLMAO!
Old August 7th 05, 03:46 AM
Morgans

"ORVAL FAIRAIRN" wrote

Having read the website, I think that the whole thing is a satire on
Moller's "Skycar." He presents the whole thing with tongue firmly
embedded in cheek! ROTFLMAO!

I think your assessment is way off on that call. Did you talk to the guy at
all?

Mohler (I think) knows what the hurtles are, for the skycar. This guy (I
think) is so far out in left field, that I think he thinks that were this
done in something other than 1/2" plywood, it would fly! Wowser, wowser,
wowser!

I think anyone with the slightest grasp of the concept of aerodynamics can
see all kind of impossible dreams of the strongcar, or whatever.\

I admire his fortitude to let it all hang out.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 7th 05, 04:37 AM
Jim Carriere

Morgans wrote:
Mohler (I think) knows what the hurtles are, for the skycar. This guy (I
think) is so far out in left field, that I think he thinks that were this
done in something other than 1/2" plywood, it would fly! Wowser, wowser,
wowser!

Come on, Jim, it just needs a big engine. Enough thrust can make
anything fly. Think F-4
Old August 7th 05, 08:07 AM
Morgans

"Jim Carriere" wrote

Come on, Jim, it just needs a big engine. Enough thrust can make
anything fly. Think F-4

chuckle OK, given.
--
Jim in NC
Old August 7th 05, 02:08 PM
Matt Whiting

Jim Carriere wrote:
Morgans wrote:

Mohler (I think) knows what the hurtles are, for the skycar. This guy (I
think) is so far out in left field, that I think he thinks that were this
done in something other than 1/2" plywood, it would fly! Wowser, wowser,
wowser!

Come on, Jim, it just needs a big engine. Enough thrust can make
anything fly. Think F-4

You did mean F-104, right? :-)

Matt
Old August 7th 05, 04:53 PM
Kevin O'Brien

On 2005-08-06 14:34:49 -0400, John Ross said:

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but this thing reminded me of what the
Flintstones might fly.

Aw, c'mon, John, are you trying to tell us that household plywood,
chicken wire, and Bondo is not the aero-engineering wave of tomorrow?
Or that the Chevy S-10 pickup frame is not ideally suited to flight.

Yes. Much about this was strong indeed -- mostly the aroma.

I am very glad there were no fluids in my upper alimentary canal when I
read Wayne's dry reference to that other nut job, Moller. If you look
around Strong's website for as long as you can stand it you'll find he
shares Moller's interest in new-agey nonsense.

I wish Plaintiff #2 on the pair of them.

The Strong Dragon or whatever his exact name for it -- Rob Finfrock
actually interviewed the guy at length, poor Rob -- reminded me of a
1970s project, the "MIZAR" or "MITZAR" (q.v. via Google). It was a
Pinto (!) attached to the wings, struts, tail feathers and rear engine
of a Cessna 337 Skymaster. It actually flew for about 15 hours.

Then the sheet metal screws (!) holding it together came out. It would
be funny if two people hadn't perished when they hit something big --
California, to be specific.

cheers

-=K=-

Rule #1: Don't hit anything big.