Bose vs. Lightspeed

Old February 1st 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

Default Bose vs. Lightspeed

When the battery
gets low enough, I start getting a "chirping" in the earphones and the light
flashes red. The battery is pretty low at that point, though. I've got the old
version without the compatibility with panel power. The Denali is pretty low
profile, which might explain its lower sensitivity to wind-driven effects.

The only drawback to the Denali was the color choices...yellow or blue. Neither
goes well with my airplane. Life is Hell. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

My Flightcom 6ANX headset is the 'daddy' to the Denali....
and a respectable gray/black. The outrageous yellow and
blue colors were a small factor in me NOT upgrading.

Being a penny pincher, my solution many years ago was to invest
in 9 volt Ratshack Nickel-Metal Hydride RECHARGEABLES.
Although hardly cheap, I've not had to buy more batteries
in close to a decade.They paid for themselves in a month.
Perhaps you are doing likewise.

P.S.
If there is any way to leave the headset switch on, I will.
After 36 hours or so, it's definitely time for a fre$h battery.
Auto $hutoff $ure would be nice.

- Barnyard BOb -
More than a half century of flight.

Old February 1st 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 09:11:34 -0600, Barnyard BOb wrote:

Being a penny pincher, my solution many years ago was to invest
in 9 volt Ratshack Nickel-Metal Hydride RECHARGEABLES.
Although hardly cheap, I've not had to buy more batteries
in close to a decade.They paid for themselves in a month.
Perhaps you are doing likewise.

I tried, but it wouldn't power up the headset. The voltage when fully-charged
is a bit low, but when you consider an alkaline will power the headset until it
gets so low it'll hardly tickle the tongue, I don't know what's happening. It
might be that the impedance of the rechargeable is different than an alkaline
and the circuitry is thrown off by it.

I just buy a big pack of 9V batteries from Costco. Lasts me a couple of years.
Tuck a spare into the flying jacket pocket.

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 1st 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jls

On Jan 31, 10:04 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
[...]
If you have an older pair, check out their "trade-up" offers, which
are quite good.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Thanks, folks, again for the priceless help.

I'll see about trading up with the people at Lightspeed.
***********

Let me live in my house by the side of the road,
Where the race of men go by-
They are good, they are bad, they are weak, they are strong,
Wise, foolish - so am I.
Then why should I sit in the scorner's seat,
Or hurl the cynic's ban?
Let me live in my house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man. -- Kipling

Old February 1st 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

Barnyard BOb wrote:

Being a penny pincher, my solution many years ago was to invest
in 9 volt Ratshack Nickel-Metal Hydride RECHARGEABLES.
Although hardly cheap, I've not had to buy more batteries
in close to a decade.They paid for themselves in a month.
Perhaps you are doing likewise.

I tried, but it wouldn't power up the headset. The voltage when fully-charged
is a bit low, but when you consider an alkaline will power the headset until it
gets so low it'll hardly tickle the tongue, I don't know what's happening. It
might be that the impedance of the rechargeable is different than an alkaline
and the circuitry is thrown off by it.

Ron Wanttaja

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

My Flightcoms do fine, voltage wise, down to the last NiMH drop...
Another reason for me to be happy I didn't spring for the Denali??

FWIW...
Like you, I ran into a situation with a smoke alarm where a 9v lithium
would not work... and it's voltage could be higher than an alkaline.
My hopes were to go keep from changing batteries annually.
A 10 year lithium application seemed like a grrreat idea.

- Barnyard BOb -

Old February 4th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 09:11:34 -0600, Barnyard BOb wrote:

Being a penny pincher, my solution many years ago was to invest
in 9 volt Ratshack Nickel-Metal Hydride RECHARGEABLES.
Although hardly cheap, I've not had to buy more batteries
in close to a decade.They paid for themselves in a month.
Perhaps you are doing likewise.

I tried, but it wouldn't power up the headset. The voltage when fully-charged
is a bit low, but when you consider an alkaline will power the headset until it
gets so low it'll hardly tickle the tongue, I don't know what's happening. It
might be that the impedance of the rechargeable is different than an alkaline
and the circuitry is thrown off by it.

I just buy a big pack of 9V batteries from Costco. Lasts me a couple of years.
Tuck a spare into the flying jacket pocket.

Ron Wanttaja

I have a pair of Telex Echelons. The ANR battery box connects with a
miniature stereo plug. I built little plates to mount the plug jacks,
and added an extra jack for the ANR power. Ran a couple extra wires a
little regulator circuit I built.

DC X11 vs Bose Dave Anderer Piloting 7 January 12th 07 11:23 PM
OK ! We did the Bose / Dave Clark flight! Dave Piloting 11 December 27th 06 01:47 AM
LightSpeed QFR CC ANR vs Bose Aviation X jbskies Owning 6 December 9th 06 04:27 PM
Bose X smf Owning 5 July 28th 03 04:22 PM
Lightspeed Battery Box Warning Justin Case Piloting 74 July 13th 03 03:12 AM