Quae How did USN designate deployments during the viet Nam era?

Old August 4th 03, 08:19 AM
Lawrence Dillard

Default Quae How did USN designate deployments during the viet Nam era?

Can anyone tell me the system by which USN Aircraft Carrier deployments were
named or numbered during the Viet Nam era?; and if so, what was the name by
which the last 'carrier deployment was known?
Thanks for any info.

Old August 5th 03, 02:50 AM
Thomas Schoene

"Lawrence Dillard" wrote in message

Can anyone tell me the system by which USN Aircraft Carrier
deployments were named or numbered during the Viet Nam era?; and if
so, what was the name by which the last 'carrier deployment was known?
Thanks for any info.

There are lists of deployments he

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/ordbat.htm

http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-vol1/Appendx3.pdf

There was no numbering or naming scheme per se. Battlegroups are named for
the carrier around which they are formed, and each deployment is usually
described by its dates and destination, but the latter is unofficial. One
might refer to the Enteprise battlegroup's 1968 Westpac (western pacific)
cruise but I odn't think there was any official code name for sequence
number for that deployment.

I'll leave it to someone else to figure out whaich was the final Vietnam
deplyment -- there are a couple of differnt ways to decide that (last combat
missions, last overflights, etc.)

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old August 7th 03, 10:44 AM
Matt Wiser

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:

--
Tom Schoene Replace "invalid"
with "net" to e-mail
"If brave men and women never died, there would
be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney
(attributed)

Wouldn't the carriers participating in the Saigon evacuation and the Myaguez
rescue be the last deployments? There were four carriers for Saigon: Coral
Sea and Enterprise to cover the evac, and Enterprise had the first two F-14
squadrons on that cruise; plus Midway and Hancock as helo carriers for the
USAF and Marines. Coral Sea flew strikes during the Myaguez incident later
on.

Old August 7th 03, 04:28 PM
Joe Osman

Matt Wiser wrote:

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:
"Lawrence Dillard"
wrote in message

[...]

There was also Operation Eagle Pull-the evacuation of Phnom
Penh, Cambodia on April 12, 1975.

Joe

Old August 8th 03, 01:34 AM
s.p.i.

"Lawrence Dillard" wrote in message ...
Can anyone tell me the system by which USN Aircraft Carrier deployments were
named or numbered during the Viet Nam era?; and if so, what was the name by
which the last 'carrier deployment was known?
Thanks for any info.

Check out this link:
http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP26.PDF