VF-103 Tomcats Gone

Old January 28th 05, 03:38 AM
in2focus

Default VF-103 Tomcats Gone

The final two VF-103 F-14B's departed Oceana Tuesday morning. I was
lucky enough to be there and my photos are at the link below:
http://art-thing.com/jsnas/f14/vf103.html

J.Stone

Old January 28th 05, 09:35 AM

The latest "Air International" gives the following schedule for the
Tomcat squadron transition:
VF-103 - March 2005
VF-143 - April 2005 (to receive F/A-18E version, first photos
available)
VF-11 - May 2005
VF-101 - September 2005 (must be wrong - not redesignation, but
deactivation)
VF-32 - November 2005
VF-213 - May 2006
VF-31 - September 2006

But I am not sure what these dates mean - a formal redesignation to
VFA? safe-for-flight certificaton and reception of the ninth of primary
authorized aircraft? or something else?

VF-211 was redesignated to VFA in October 2004, but they must be still
at Lemoore.

I hope that all of the new birds won't escape your camera. Best wishes!
Jacek Zemlo

Old January 28th 05, 07:43 PM
Tiger

--

Sad, sad day............ :-(

Old January 29th 05, 02:42 PM
Pechs1

lana- Sad, sad day............ :-( BRBR

VERY sad that a great squadron is gone, but as a guy that flew the Turkey, like
the F-4 guys said when the F-8 was leaving...."when yer outta Tomcats, it's no
big deal".
Never liked the A/C. Great design that languished in it's middle and later
years. It needed redesign badly, with it's 'supersonic A-6" flightcontrols and
analog weapons system, but it wasn't and the F-14A/B/D was not on par with any
other series 4 A/C of the times..in the late 90s.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old January 29th 05, 04:19 PM
José Herculano

VERY sad that a great squadron is gone, but as a guy that flew the Turkey,
like
the F-4 guys said when the F-8 was leaving...."when yer outta Tomcats,
it's no
big deal".

The squadron isn't gone. They are transitioning to the F/A-18F.
_____________
José Herculano

Old January 31st 05, 02:28 PM
Pechs1

Jose- The squadron isn't gone. They are transitioning to the F/A-18F.
BRBR

Great news!! Great squadron with lots of hertiage...but when yer outta
Tomcats...it's no big deal.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old February 2nd 05, 01:41 PM
Tony Volk

Come on Pechs, you've gotta admit that it was the sweetest looking Navy
fighter ever! At the very least, it's a lot nicer on the eye than the
F-18F. And sure, looks don't win fights, but there's got to be an
after-hours advantage to flying the sexiest machine out there !

Tony

Great news!! Great squadron with lots of hertiage...but when yer outta
Tomcats...it's no big deal.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old February 2nd 05, 02:37 PM
Pechs1

Tony- Come on Pechs, you've gotta admit that it was the sweetest looking Navy
fighter ever! At the very least, it's a lot nicer on the eye than the
F-18F BRBR

I don't agree-The F-4 was the best looking fighter ever, at least in the jet
era.

I was much happier in the club with my Phantom patch than my Turkey patch....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old February 2nd 05, 02:50 PM
John Miller

Pechs1 wrote:
I don't agree-The F-4 was the best looking fighter ever, at least in

the jet
era.

Got my vote...and even if not the most aesthetic, certainly the most
impressive looking. The climb performance didn't hurt, either.

--
John Miller
Old February 2nd 05, 03:36 PM
Tony Volk

I don't agree-The F-4 was the best looking fighter ever, at least in the
jet
era.
I was much happier in the club with my Phantom patch than my Turkey

patch....

"A man has only one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely
plane he loses it to, there his heart will ever be" -Hemingway. Did you
lose yours in the Phantom? I always thought the name Double-Ugly was not
deserved for the Phantom, but it's too rocket-like for me to really enjoy
it. The Tomcat's blend of angles, points, and sweep make it tops for me,
especially given the fact that it can alter its appearance dramatically with
a swing of the wing. But to each their own, I hear some people even liked
the look of the SLUF!

Tony