Light Sport Aircraft survey

Old May 25th 05, 12:40 AM
gilan

Default Light Sport Aircraft survey

Do you own or are you planning to buy or build an aircraft that fits into
the Light Sport Aircraft rules? The airplane can be an older "factory"
certified airplane such as the Cub or Ercoupe, a new "factory" S-LSA or an
experimental that does or will comply with the LSA rules.

Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group

Old May 25th 05, 04:45 AM
Morgans

"gilan" wrote

Do you own or are you planning to buy or build an aircraft that fits into
the Light Sport Aircraft rules?

I plan to build, but at this time, I do not know what. I have been
seriously considering designing my own, for two reasons. One, I don't see
exactly what I want, and two, I find extreme satisfaction at taking a
project from beginning to end, on my own. I do have the skills (IMHO) to
make an undertaking of this magnitude (with advise, and help) succeed.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 25th 05, 05:53 PM
Paul kgyy

If I took this route, it would probably be driven by price, and I don't
think I would build. If I'm going to invest the time to build
something, I'd rather build something fast like a Velocity. If I could
get a new LSA aircraft for less than $75K, I'd consider a new one,
otherwise probably go with an oldie for which parts were still easily
available - maybe an ERcoupe so I could learn to do crosswind landings
with feet on the floor :-)

Old May 25th 05, 06:11 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "gilan" said:
Do you own or are you planning to buy or build an aircraft that fits into
the Light Sport Aircraft rules? The airplane can be an older "factory"
certified airplane such as the Cub or Ercoupe, a new "factory" S-LSA or an
experimental that does or will comply with the LSA rules.

Somebody emailed me as the contact for my flying club trying to convince
us to buy a new LSA. The only problem was that this thing only carried
about 500 pounds, and it cost $120,000. If I went to my members and said
we're spending $120,000 and getting something that can't fly as far and
carry as much as the Piper Dakota we spent $85,000 for a few years ago,
they'd lynch me.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Quando omni flunkus moritati (when all else fails play dead)
Old May 25th 05, 06:30 PM
houstondan

i've read-up on all the light sport stuff i can find and it looks like
$60-80,000 to fly 2 people, vfr for maybe 350 miles or so at 90-100
mph. the idea of having a brand new craft does have some appeal but
pushing a headwind and getting a net ground speed in the 40-50mph range
while getting beat to death does not sound like fun.

as i'm pushing 60 years old i do have to consider that i could be
forced into light sports in not too many years.

i dunno

dan

Old May 25th 05, 07:04 PM
Jimbob

Most of the stuff I have seen is rated at 120 mph cruise and about 350
miles.. I just saw one this morning other day for 54K

http://www.bbardaviation.com/PRODUCTS/allegro2000.html

I expect prices to drop a bit over the next year as competition starts
heating up and the market equalizes.

IMHO, you should see them about $40-44K in next couple of years.

http://www.unconventional-wisdom.org
Old May 25th 05, 09:46 PM
Morgans

"Paul Tomblin" wrote

Somebody emailed me as the contact for my flying club trying to convince
us to buy a new LSA. The only problem was that this thing only carried
about 500 pounds, and it cost $120,000.

What is selling for 120,000 bucks? I have not seen any that cost anywhere
near that!
--
Jim in NC

Old May 26th 05, 01:06 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Morgans" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote
Somebody emailed me as the contact for my flying club trying to convince
us to buy a new LSA. The only problem was that this thing only carried
about 500 pounds, and it cost $120,000.

What is selling for 120,000 bucks? I have not seen any that cost anywhere
near that!

It's called "AMD Alarus". Useful load 607 pounds, fully IFR equipped
$129,900.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Grove giveth and Gates taketh away."
Old May 26th 05, 01:29 AM
Morgans

"Paul Tomblin" wrote

It's called "AMD Alarus". Useful load 607 pounds, fully IFR equipped
$129,900.

Someone was trying to sell you a bill of goods. It is way over weight, at
1,692 pounds, gross; over 1,000 pounds, empty!

Is there something I am missing? It doesn't look like a sport airplane, to
me.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 26th 05, 01:43 AM
Lakeview Bill

The Alaraus is not a Light Sport Aircraft by US standards.

Among other things, it has a gross weight of 1,692 lbs; the LSA maximum is
1,320 lbs for SEL.

And by definition, there cannot be an IFR certified LSA, as they are only
approved for day VFR as an LSA.

I've been researching these aircraft for quite a while, and the magic
numbers pretty much fall into the $75,000 - $85,000 range, reasonably
equipped. Of course, most of them offer upgrades that could push them to
$100,000.