gun discharge in cockpit.

Old March 24th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

Default gun discharge in cockpit.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/....1c4cabd1.html

Awfer... there went that experiment.

" CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A gun carried by a US Airways pilot accidentally
discharged during a flight from Denver to Charlotte Saturday, according to a
statement released by the airline...."

-c

Old March 24th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"gatt" wrote in
:

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/...sjf-gunonplane.
1c4cabd1.html

Awfer... there went that experiment.

" CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A gun carried by a US Airways pilot accidentally
discharged during a flight from Denver to Charlotte Saturday,
according to a statement released by the airline...."

Oh that's interesting. I have a friend who opted in to that program. Be
interesting to hear what he thinks about this!

bertie
Old March 24th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"gatt" wrote in message

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/....1c4cabd1.html

Awfer... there went that experiment.

" CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A gun carried by a US Airways pilot accidentally
discharged during a flight from Denver to Charlotte Saturday, according to

statement released by the airline...."

-c

Wow!! And the flight crew didn't get sucked out the hole like Goldfinger?

Old March 24th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Steve Foley" wrote in message

Wow!! And the flight crew didn't get sucked out the hole like
Goldfinger?

1. Haha.

2. Think frangible bullets. May not have even been a hole.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old March 24th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2008-03-24 10:54:38 -0700, "John T" said:

"Steve Foley" wrote in message

Wow!! And the flight crew didn't get sucked out the hole like
Goldfinger?

1. Haha.

2. Think frangible bullets. May not have even been a hole.

The sextant port on the C-130 was bigger than any hole a bullet would
make. I don't think anyone has ever been sucked out of one of those.
Actually, it was just the right size to hold a vacuum cleaner hose, so
if you were at altitude you could vacuum out the cockpit. No one ever
got sucked out the vacuum cleaner hose, either. Come to think of it, no
one gets sucked up into vacuum cleaner hoses on the ground, either.

There was a practical joke you could play on the pilot using the
sextant port, though. You stuck a hard-boiled egg in there. It was a
tight fit. The egg would get sucked out, making a popping noise that
sounded for all the world like a shotgun. Scared the heck out of the
pilot. But USAF, in its infinite wisdom, stopped putting hard-boiled
eggs in the box lunches. I don't know why. :-)

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 24th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

On 2008-03-24 10:54:38 -0700, "John T"
said:

[...]

Probably to limit the amount of methane gas released by the flight crew.

Old March 24th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Mar 25, 6:26*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"gatt" wrote :

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/...sjf-gunonplane.
1c4cabd1.html

Awfer... * *there went that experiment.

" CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A gun carried by a US Airways pilot accidentally
discharged during a flight from Denver to Charlotte Saturday,
according to a statement released by the airline...."

Oh that's interesting. I have a friend who opted in to that program. Be
interesting to hear what he thinks about this!

Well he obviously had un-holstered it to point it at a terrorist who
was smashing his way into the cockpit! In this case it was obviously
in the pilot's mind and he needs a reality check. Why don't the
airlines consider disabling terrorists by depressurizing ? Knock
everone out, tie up the bad guys and repressurize?

Cheers

Old March 24th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"WingFlaps" wrote in message

Why don't the airlines consider disabling terrorists by depressurizing ?
Knock
everone out, tie up the bad guys and repressurize?

I suppose switching cabin air to nitrous oxide is out of the question.
"ALLAH ALLAH ALLAaaaaa HAHAHAHAA!!! Oh, you silly Americans are a
riot..."

-c

Old March 24th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

WingFlaps wrote in
:

On Mar 25, 6:26*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"gatt" wrote

ews.com:

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/...nc-032308-sjf-

gunonplan
e.
1c4cabd1.html

Awfer... * *there went that experiment.

" CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A gun carried by a US Airways pilot
accidentally discharged during a flight from Denver to Charlotte
Saturday, according to a statement released by the airline...."

Oh that's interesting. I have a friend who opted in to that program.
Be interesting to hear what he thinks about this!

Well he obviously had un-holstered it to point it at a terrorist who
was smashing his way into the cockpit! In this case it was obviously
in the pilot's mind and he needs a reality check. Why don't the
airlines consider disabling terrorists by depressurizing ? Knock
everone out, tie up the bad guys and repressurize?

We're not allowed allowed to talk about tactics, but the guys carrying
guns get a pretty good course in hand to hand. The problem with this has
always been the 2%. The idiots that want to carry a gun for all the
wrong reasons or the just plain nuts. The training is desinged to weed
some of them out and to ensure that the guys who are carrying are
competent if it ever comes down to it. No point in carrying a gun if all
that happens is that it ends up stuffed up your own nose.
Still, if it can happen, it will..

Bertie
Old March 24th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

He is an idiot - res ipsa loquitor

Ahh but, the antigun fanatics will be foaming at the mouth...
Better a plane be hijacked daily than a single accidental discharge
happen...

They should hire me, I've never had an accidental discharge well,
there was that time at the drive in movie, but no one was injured

denny

Static Discharge gman Piloting 12 March 24th 07 07:56 PM
IFR static discharge [email protected] Home Built 0 April 2nd 06 08:06 PM
The Vanishing Honorable Discharge Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 October 29th 04 02:58 AM