Steve Fossett - Missing

Old September 5th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fcnorton

Default Steve Fossett - Missing

On Sep 5, 7:04 am, Cats wrote:
On Sep 4, 7:58 pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
snip

Lt. Ryan's phone is busy all the time, hopefully that's a good sign.

No, it just means lots of people are trying to call Major Ryan. I
can't see how it's good or bad.

Wow...he even has an ELT in his watch!

"Even if the plane locator failed, Fossett usually wears a Breitling
Emergency watch that allows pilots to easily signal their location,
said Granger Whitelaw, co-founder of the Rocket Racing League.

"They're registered to us personally, so they know it's you," he said
by phone Wednesday from New York. There had been no word of such a
signal by Wednesday."

Old September 5th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stewart Kissel

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/s...899201,00.html

Oh I just love the news media trying to report on aviation
matters....
quotes from Mark Twain no less!!!

Now if they can just figure out how to get Paris Hilton
into the story.

Old September 6th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

Steve Fossett took off from Paris Hilton's great grandfather's ranch early
this morning. Unlike Paris, he was not drunk, stoned, or recently gang
banged.

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in
message ...

Old September 6th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 5, 5:46 pm, Stewart Kissel
wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/s...899201,00.html

Oh I just love the news media trying to report on aviation
matters....
quotes from Mark Twain no less!!!

Now if they can just figure out how to get Paris Hilton
into the story.

wow what an awful story. half of it is about the horrible winds in
the sierras, then they mention ever so slightly that the wind was dead
calm on monday. They call a Super Decathlon a twin engine airplane,
quote mark twain, imply that cropdusters take unnecessary risks, and
call fosset the #1 gliding pilot in the world...

Old September 6th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
shawn

wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/s...899201,00.html

Oh I just love the news media trying to report on aviation
matters....
quotes from Mark Twain no less!!!

Now if they can just figure out how to get Paris Hilton
into the story.

wow what an awful story. half of it is about the horrible winds in
the sierras, then they mention ever so slightly that the wind was dead
calm on monday. They call a Super Decathlon a twin engine airplane,
quote mark twain, imply that cropdusters take unnecessary risks, and
call fosset the #1 gliding pilot in the world...

I think ol' Dick Branson is prone to hyperbole now and then ;-)
Maybe he was flying a "Super Duper Decathlon"?
Plus, the three fatalities in '99 were utterly unrelated to the winds in
the area. One was due to a rigging error (very sad), and the Nimbus 4DM
was over stressed after a spin recovery.
Crappy journalism. The writer probably does the science reporting for
his paper too :-p

Shawn
Old September 6th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shirl

shawn wrote:
I think ol' Dick Branson is prone to hyperbole now and then ;-)
Maybe he was flying a "Super Duper Decathlon"?
Plus, the three fatalities in '99 were utterly unrelated to the winds in
the area. One was due to a rigging error (very sad), and the Nimbus 4DM
was over stressed after a spin recovery.
Crappy journalism. The writer probably does the science reporting for
his paper too :-p

If no one calls him on his inaccurate/misleading reporting, he'll never
take more care to get his facts straight.
Old September 6th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Fossett's ELT apparently did not turn on or was out of range.

If Fosset had a continuous real-time tracker, the job of finding him
might have been a lot easier. I have a APRS tracker that continuously
sends position/velocity info on the ham frequency. Worked very well so
far and gives peace of mind to relatives - and useful to FAA on a
flight plan.

You can build an APRS tracker for about $250. A basic ham license is
easy to get. One of these could save your life.

For more info see http://www.abri.com/sq2000/GPStrack.html
SQ2000 canard, http://www.abri.com/sq2000/

On Sep 4, 12:38 pm, wrote:
I understand that Fossett is missing after leaving the Hilton Ranch
yesterday in a Super Decathlon. I hope that he is found OK.

Old September 6th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

By international reporting standards that's not too bad...

I mean they did actually get a few facts right.

Old September 6th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 6, 1:04 pm, Bruce wrote:
By international reporting standards that's not too bad...

I mean they did actually get a few facts right.

you are right. Steve is still missing