STF question

Old March 20th 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henryk Birecki

Default STF question

JJ Sinclair wrote:

I believe this shows that we should not fly M/C zero except in very
light wind.

Yes, as long as you have to use MC as a crutch to set speed so that
you get max glide, the above is absolutely correct. Downwind you
should set MC negative (if you can )

I believe the program in the SN-10 doesn't take into account the drift
correction angle which was considerable with the 25 knot cross-wind I
had on my final leg home. I was holding a good 10 degrees heading up-
wind as the ship tracked Parowan. This gave me much more of a head-
wind component and I believe the comuuter didn't compute on the 'real'
heading that would be required to track the destination into a stiff
cross-wind.
What do you thing?

I do not know what SN-10 does, but yes, cross wind component is very
important if you worry about wind.

Cheers,
Henryk

Old March 21st 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 20, 9:35 am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Another issue I found with the SN-10 happened on the last day at
Parowan, last year. We had a stiff S/W wind at 25 knots with 3 turn
areas. I has excess altitude as I entered the last turn area, which
was down wind from Parowan. I penetrated until the computer said I was
1000 feet over final glide home and then made my turn. As soon as I
finished the turn and centered up on the final leg, the computer said
I would just make it! I lost my 1000 foot cushion in the turn (wind
remained the same). What happened?

Huh ? You gotta stop spinning the glider rounding the turn,
can't use the "turnpoint camera" excuse anymore yaknow...

I believe the program in the SN-10 doesn't take into account the drift
correction angle which was considerable with the 25 knot cross-wind I
had on my final leg home. I was holding a good 10 degrees heading up-
wind as the ship tracked Parowan. This gave me much more of a head-
wind component and I believe the comuuter didn't compute on the 'real'
heading that would be required to track the destination into a stiff
cross-wind.

The SN10 certainly takes into account the wind direction (cross).
No idea what went on above. Sometimes the reserve jumps UP,
because we round turnpoints or AAT earlier than the nominal
turnpoint or AAT point, but a reserve going DOWN is really
very odd...

Please email me any further detail !
See ya, Dave "YO"
Old March 21st 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Hi Dave,
I just checked my trace for the last day at Parowan and guess what?
The computer didn't screw up, I did. I don't adjust the turn point
when flying a turn area task, I simply keep checking on final
'altitude required' by clicking off the turn point (which is the
center of the turn area). Well, I was tired, it had been a hard day at
the end of 8 hard days straight and I forgot to 'click it off'. If I
had turned early, the altitude required would have jumped up, but I
flew past it and.......................I better stop trying to figure
out what the SN-10 does, just concentrate on operating it correctly!
Sorry for the incorrect post, I do love the SN-10, really!
JJ