Stupid question about autogas

Old February 25th 04, 03:56 PM
Ben Smith

What are the legalities of transporting more than 55 gallons of
hazardous materials in your locale? Gasoline IS a hazardous material,
you know. Thats one of the reasons that the nice tanks that are designed
to be carried in pickup truck beds are smaller than that quantity
(unless tied into the vehicle's fuel system)

In Wisconsin you don't need placards or special permits if it's under 100
gallons. Hauling gas on a trailer isn't as odd as it sounds. Ever see
those trailers that get hauled on to contruction sites? (For refueling the
Bobcats, etc).

Here's another fine example:
http://tinyurl.com/2esvh

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old February 25th 04, 05:18 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Folbrecht wrote:

What I'm wondering about is exactly how the pilots that are running
autogas are getting it to the airport. I can't imagine the typical
answer is much different than "carting it there in cans" but even a 152
is going to require 5 5-gallon cans for a single fillup! That's a lot
of cans. Is there a better way?

When I owned a 150, I carried two 5 gallon cans. I own a pickup truck, so I
could just drop the tailgate, back up to the plane, and stand in the bed of the
truck to fuel up. I always fueled the right tank, counting on the cross-over
line to transfer gas to the left side.

Two cans will keep a 150/2 in the air over 1.5 hours. If you have standard tanks
and ever need more than four cans of gas, you need to seriously re-examine your
attitude towards fuel reserves.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old February 25th 04, 05:30 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Rosspilot wrote:
: I use (3) 5-gal red plastic containers.

I the People's Republic of Massachusetts, the legal limit for transporting
gasoline in portable tanks is ONE tank of FIVE gallons or less capacity.
A portable tank is any tank not connected to the vehicle's fuel system.
Different rules apply for diesel oil. To get kerosene it is required that
you show ID and sign a logbook at the gas station (!).
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
Old February 25th 04, 09:14 PM
John Galban

Paul Folbrecht wrote in message thlink.net...
If I buy a 152 getting the autogas STC appeals to me a lot for the
obvious reason (economy).

What I'm wondering about is exactly how the pilots that are running
autogas are getting it to the airport. I can't imagine the typical
answer is much different than "carting it there in cans" but even a 152
is going to require 5 5-gallon cans for a single fillup! That's a lot
of cans. Is there a better way?

Can you get an autogas STC for the 152? It uses the higher
compression Lyc. O-235. The STC is pretty common on the Continental
powered 150, but I've never seen a 152 running on autogas.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old February 25th 04, 09:17 PM
John Galban

Paul Folbrecht wrote in message thlink.net...
If I buy a 152 getting the autogas STC appeals to me a lot for the
obvious reason (economy).

What I'm wondering about is exactly how the pilots that are running
autogas are getting it to the airport. I can't imagine the typical
answer is much different than "carting it there in cans" but even a 152
is going to require 5 5-gallon cans for a single fillup! That's a lot
of cans. Is there a better way?

Whoops! Ignore my previous post. I see that Petersen offers a 91
octane STC for the O-235 powered 152.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old February 25th 04, 10:28 PM
CriticalMass

jls wrote:

I have seen this in the back of a pickup: a 50-gallon barrel with 12-volt
pump from Northern Handyman, a retracting grounding cable, and a gas nozzle
just like you see at the gas station.

We owned a Cherokee 140 prior to our current Comanche 260B.

I had the Cherokee STC'd for mogas, and flew 900 hours or so in it
burning Diamond Shamrock 87 octane regular unleaded.

I drive a pickup, and at the time, I had a 40 gallon fuel tank installed
in the bed, and put a 12 volt pump on that. The pump had a meter that
showed gallons pumped, just like at the gas station.

As the Brits say, "worked a treat".

Old February 25th 04, 10:35 PM
CriticalMass

Greg Burkhart wrote:

Everybody's talking about taking the autogas to the airport... How about
just going to the airports that have autogas? I'm moving my airplane one of
these days to the local airport that offers autogas.

There are several airports within 30 miles that have autogas. I plan my
trips through those...

Well, one reason would be that there are none - within a reasonable
distance, anyway. That's the main reason "everybody's talking about
taking the autogas to the airport".

I know airports do exist that sell mogas, but I've been to a lot of
airports in my area of the country, and I have yet to see one that sells it.

Old February 25th 04, 10:56 PM
CriticalMass

Paul Folbrecht wrote:

If I buy a 152 getting the autogas STC appeals to me a lot for the
obvious reason (economy).

What I'm wondering about is exactly how the pilots that are running
autogas are getting it to the airport. I can't imagine the typical
answer is much different than "carting it there in cans" but even a
152 is going to require 5 5-gallon cans for a single fillup! That's a
lot of cans. Is there a better way?

Certainly, tax laws vary by state. But, if/when the time comes,
consider researching them in your state for possible tax rebates on
mogas you use in your airplane.

In Texas, I filed and got refunds for the mogas I bought and used in the
airplane, since the mogas was not used on Texas roads. A nice little
bonus to the other advantages of using unleaded regular mogas in an
airplane engine not designed to "scavenge" the 4X lead content in 100LL
versus the 80 octane they were intended to burn.

Stupid Question About Newsgroups RST Engineering General Aviation 1 January 17th 05 05:59 PM
stupid question JaKoB General Aviation 2 November 9th 04 09:48 AM
Engine swap..... maybe a stupid question JD Butler Owning 5 February 23rd 04 10:29 PM
Stupid question about flight testing and "the envelope" Scott Ferrin Military Aviation 12 January 7th 04 03:56 AM
Stupid super cub question Robert Loer Home Built 9 November 22nd 03 05:28 PM