Sectional Chart Question

Old June 21st 05, 03:11 PM
Mark Hansen

On 6/20/2005 17:52, Kev wrote:

Interestingly, I ran across an ultralight website where they described
the yellow outlines as being off-limits to them, because they're
obviously congested areas.

Obviosly congested? No... These are city/town areas, but they include
congested and non congested areas. The Ultralight club's rule is a good
rule of thumb, but it's not a FAR.

The thing about Ultralights is, they need to stay 'under the radar'
such that they don't raise a lot of complaints and invite extra
legislation prohibiting their use. So, rules like these keep them
well outside the 'problem areas'.

You can legally fly an ultralight through an area depicted in yellow
on the sectional, you just need to fly over only un-congested areas.

Best regards,
Kev

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Student
Sacramento, CA
Old June 21st 05, 09:59 PM
Matt Barrow

"Cub Driver" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:40:40 -0700, Mark Hansen
wrote:

These represent the congested parts of the cities. This should
(roughly) match the look of the city when lit up at night.

Amazing. Nobody ever told me that!

You've had a deprived life. :~(

What would we do with newsgroups to consume our time and fill our
minds with facts?

How would you handle this:

ATC tells me "Stay west of Federal Blvd during your departure".

I response "I can't make out the street signs from up here".

Old June 21st 05, 10:11 PM
Mark Hansen

wrote:

These represent the congested parts of the cities. This should
(roughly) match the look of the city when lit up at night.

Amazing. Nobody ever told me that!

You've had a deprived life. :~(

What would we do with newsgroups to consume our time and fill our
minds with facts?

How would you handle this:

ATC tells me "Stay west of Federal Blvd during your departure".

I response "I can't make out the street signs from up here".

Was this a rhetorical question? If ATC references the landmark, it
should be a navigation landmark, and indicated on the sectional
with a magenta flag; right?

The A/FD and Flight Guide are other good places for 'local'
information like this. When they have a documented procedure like
this, they will usually show it on the airport diagram in or both
of those books.

Old June 22nd 05, 03:35 AM
Matt Barrow

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
On 6/21/2005 13:59, Matt Barrow wrote:

How would you handle this:

ATC tells me "Stay west of Federal Blvd during your departure".

I response "I can't make out the street signs from up here".

Was this a rhetorical question?

Not entirely.

If ATC references the landmark, it
should be a navigation landmark, and indicated on the sectional
with a magenta flag; right?

Yes.

The A/FD and Flight Guide are other good places for 'local'
information like this. When they have a documented procedure like
this, they will usually show it on the airport diagram in or both
of those books.

In the case in point (several years ago), I did know the location but I
don't recall if it was on the chart and it most definitely was NOT on the
procedure chart. I wonder how many such Nav fixes are discernable to
non-locals?

--
Matt
---------------------

Old June 22nd 05, 10:10 PM
Jimbob

My flight instructor. I haven't verified it, but it made sense.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 03:08:45 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Jimbob" wrote in message
.. .

IIRC, The yellow represents areas under the FAR's which are
considered congested areas and require 1000' clearance within a 2000'
radius.

From what do you recall that?

Jim

http://www.unconventional-wisdom.org
Old June 22nd 05, 10:17 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jimbob" wrote in message

My flight instructor. I haven't verified it, but it made sense.

I think your instructor was blowing smoke.

Old June 22nd 05, 10:17 PM
Jimbob

Hmm. Then the question arises, what feature of a VFR sectional shows
the boundaries of congested areas? If it isn't documented, I don't
see how legally they can enforce it.

Other than the obvious "We're the FAA, that's how"

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 03:42:06 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote:

\
"Jimbob" wrote in message
.. .
IIRC, The yellow represents areas under the FAR's which are
considered congested areas and require 1000' clearance within a 2000'
radius.

Well no. Don't think you can find any legal reference to support your
claim. If you compare the yellow on a sectional and a terminal area chart
they don't match.

Old June 23rd 05, 12:14 AM
George Patterson

Jimbob wrote:
Hmm. Then the question arises, what feature of a VFR sectional shows
the boundaries of congested areas? If it isn't documented, I don't
see how legally they can enforce it.

Other than the obvious "We're the FAA, that's how"

That's basically it. The no-so-funny joke goes that, if someone can get your
N-number without binocs and registers a complaint, you were too low.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

Mystery lines on NY VFR terminal chart Ron Garret Piloting 3 May 22nd 05 05:07 AM
Meaning of airport tick marks on sectional charts Ross Oliver Piloting 7 March 2nd 05 04:05 PM
WAC Chart Images on line? Rich Owning 5 March 22nd 04 11:17 PM
AVIATIONTOOLBOX: how I convert sectional maps to map chunks Kyler Laird General Aviation 2 December 4th 03 01:09 AM
King Videos: Jeppesen Chart Review (2 tapes on eBay) Approaches & Enroute, Departures, & Arrivals Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 November 11th 03 05:14 PM