video of my spin

Old June 22nd 05, 07:26 PM
Happy Dog

"Mitch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whoa! I will be starting my PPl soon and doing something like that
would have made me have to clean my pants afterwards!

Just looking at the video, my initial (and un-trained) reaction would
be to lower the ailerons, and apply light rudder opposite of the spin.
Is this even close to being right or would the fire department be
scraping me off of the ground?

PARE

Power off.

Ailerons neutral.

Opposite Rudder.

Elevator down (upright spin only).

moo

Old June 22nd 05, 08:49 PM
Robert M. Gary

Don't try that in a Decathlon! You'll never stop spinning with that
formula.

Old June 22nd 05, 10:28 PM
george

On 2005-06-21, Nobody wrote:
how quickly the nose fell, the nose down attitude during the spin, and how
fast it rotated.

Try a right hand spin with full power in a Decathalon. That is FAST.

I've spun Blanik gliders on numerous occasions. If you look sideways
during the spin exit/recovery, you'll see that in a Blanik, once the
spin is stopped you are pointed *straight* at the ground.

Same as with a Slingsby T31b
and a Rhonlerche did the same to me once

Old June 22nd 05, 11:06 PM
John Galban

Nobody wrote:
Based on what I had read about spins, I didn't think we
were spinning. I had no idea what was happening. The only thing that
crossed my mind was structural failure. Had it happened to me while solo, I
doubt I would have recovered.

I did an inadvertent spin as a solo student. If you've had spin
awareness training, you probably would have remembered to apply
opposite rudder eventually. Assuming you started the stall at a decent
altitude, the descent rate isn't nearly as bad as it looks out the
window. There's time. I probably went through 3 turns in the 152
before I deduced that it must be a spin. By that point, I'd figured
out that my instictive control inputs on the elevator and ailerons were
having no effect.

Since then, I've practiced spins regularly in my plane. They're a
lot more fun when you're expecting them g.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old June 22nd 05, 11:18 PM
Garner Miller

In article , Nobody
wrote:

Neat spin videos! Thanks for posting them!

Please right click and download them. Otherwise you'll have to replay them
because they'll stall (no pun intended).

Doesn't stall at all on a Mac, using the Quicktime plug-in. Must be a
Windows thing. :-)

Replaying them will just use up
the allotted bandwidth on the site I manage.

Hmmm... weird. For me, they replay from the Quicktime plug-in's cache,
not from your server, so no need to hit your bandwidth allocation.

Thanks again for the link!

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI
Old June 23rd 05, 12:47 AM
john smith

Garner Miller wrote:
Doesn't stall at all on a Mac, using the Quicktime plug-in. Must be a
Windows thing. :-)

Works fine on my G4 iBook with OS 10.4.1 and QuickTime 7.0.1
I even downloaded it and saved it.
Old June 23rd 05, 02:52 AM
Nobody

They were coerced to get a good spin going, not forced. :-)

I think it's reasonably realistic in that most of the time people who
accidentally stall/spin do so with the nose high. This isn't based on any
study but just anecdotal information from other CFI's.

-RM

"john smith" wrote in message
Thanks for posting.
Looks like your friend forced the entry of each spin, though.
The nose shouldn't jump up above the horizon.

Video or the DG1000 spin in Mal Soaring 5 September 12th 04 07:41 AM
Spin Training JJ Sinclair Soaring 6 February 16th 04 04:49 PM
Cessna 150 Price Outlook Charles Talleyrand Owning 80 October 16th 03 02:18 PM