G-force vs. Ram GPS suction mount

Old October 16th 05, 03:02 AM

Default G-force vs. Ram GPS suction mount

I am getting pretty tired of the yoke mount for my Garmin 196 and am
looking at either the G-force or Ram suction mount.

Any opinions?

Old October 16th 05, 03:12 AM
Ekim

I got the RAM mount. I have a friend who has the G-force. The two times
I've flown with him, his 296 has dropped from the window onto his lap.
The RAM has never done that to me.

Old October 16th 05, 11:13 AM
Cub Driver

I have the G Force mount (didn't know there was another kind!). Works
great in the Cub, which proved very unfriendly to the 296 (too big and
too heavy for my other lashups, and there was just no way to tertivate
the yoke mount).

Though the plexiglass in a Cub is very flimsy, I mount the GPS on the
port window, low down and forward, and it is stable there. I don't
ordinarily carry a passenger so I've never tested out whether this
would get in the way of the pax's left shoulder. (That's about where
it is, in line fore and aft with the top of the front pax seat.)

When I first opened the box, it didn't seem to me that the G Force
swiveled sufficiently. But in practice it will move
anywhere--basically, it's two universal joints, taking up remarkably
little space.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old October 16th 05, 11:14 AM
Cub Driver

On 15 Oct 2005 19:12:26 -0700, "Ekim" wrote:

The two times
I've flown with him, his 296 has dropped from the window onto his lap.

He couldn't be using the forced suction, then! Betcha he's just
sticking it on the window with hand force.

Old October 17th 05, 01:29 AM
swisschris

Had a RAM that worked for about 3 days with my 296 until I "rammed" it
(and that's what you have to do with this giant "unforced" suction cup)
for several hours on a car window on a hot and sunny day. After
removing, there was some black rubber residue left on the window and
the "suction" was gone - forever.

Trashed it and bought the GF-Mount. Excellent, even on curved ac
windows. It came off once in the past 18 months due to some dust on the
diaphragm. Know at least 15 other pilots flying with the GF and none of
them would ever change back to the yoke mount (or anything else).

Chris

Old October 17th 05, 07:39 AM
Thomas Borchert

Swisschris,

(and that's what you have to do with this giant "unforced" suction cup)

Hmm. If by "forced" you mean the lever you have to turn to get suction,
the RAM sure has it.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 17th 05, 10:20 PM
swisschris

Hmm. If by "forced" you mean the lever you have to turn to get suction,
the RAM sure has it.

Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

No, it didn't. Ram B-224 is a 4" black rubber suction cup without any
"levers" or "twisters". Just saw that RAM now sells "twist-lock" on
some suction mounts but compared to the GF, still looks a bit clumsy
and by far not as compact.

Chris

Old October 18th 05, 08:37 AM
Thomas Borchert

Swisschris,

No, it didn't.

I'm not sure I can follow. The RAM mount I have it has it and had it. I
know, because I own it.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 20th 05, 10:51 PM

I decided to go the G-Force route, and it just arrived yesterday. I
have to say, I'm very impressed. While I haven't flown with it, I
played stuck it against a glass window and used it a little in the car.
It seems very well made and seems to stick like a glue. I live in
Denver, so I am already at altitude. I think it will be the perfect
solution to my needs.

Thanks for the inpute.