Bad place to stall

Old June 20th 05, 03:39 PM
john smith

Suppose you are in the final quarter of a loop maneuver, looking at the
ground. Your speed is high and you are pulling back hard to bring the
plane back to level. Can that result in a stall?

Think of it this way, the pilot flew into the ground because he/she
failed to properly deduce the correct altitude to fly the maneuver based
on the then current conditions (density altitude, aircraft condition,
pilot condition, terrain, etc.)
Many times an underlying cause is pilot ego.
Showing off on the spur of the moment to impress others without
considering all the above factors.
Old June 20th 05, 04:25 PM
RST Engineering

The last words of many a redneck pilot are "Hey, y'all, watch THIS."

Jim

Old June 20th 05, 04:43 PM
Bob Gardner

He flew right into the ground. I can only assume that he was applying back
stick pressure. It's been a long time since I saw the video on the news.

Bob Gardner

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"Bob Gardner" wrote:

Once upon a time there was a geology instructor at Western Washington
University who was also an aerobatic pilot. He got hooked up with someone
over in the Middle East (king of Jordan?) and went there to teach him
aerobatics...the Arab was already jet-qualified. He did exactly what you
describe, only on television news. Hard way to watch someone die.

Bob,

Can you describe the accident for me a bit? Did the
aircraft head to the ground, break up or roll?

In the last quarter of the loop you'd be at nearly maximum
speed. Stalling requires that you bring the aircraft to its
maximum lift coefficient and doing that at high speed means
the pilot will be experiencing a very high G-load.
Depending on the aircraft and the loop exit speed, this
might be enough to produce structural failure.

Assuming it does not fail structurally, I would next expect
behavior somewhat similar to a straight ahead level stall,
except that the nose of the aircraft (and path of the
aircraft) is pitched down prior to finishing the loop. If
the stall progresses smoothly outward from the root to the
tips, the wings may stay reasonably level (relative to the
flight path), but lift would decrease delaying/stopping the
final portion of the loop. You'd find yourself headed
towards the ground at high speed unable to pull out.

Other aircraft may not stall smoothly and symmetrically and
could snap roll in this configuration.

High speed stalls are pretty rough on the airframe (and
pilot). They are an area that's extremely hard to explore
safely.

Do not spin this aircraft. If the aircraft does enter a spin it will
return to earth without further attention on the part of the aeronaut.

(first handbook issued with the Curtis-Wright flyer)

Old June 20th 05, 05:06 PM
Robert M. Gary

Yea, but who cares. Stalls are nothing once you've done aerobatics.

Old June 20th 05, 07:12 PM
tom pettit

Nah, it's more like this, "Here, hold my beer, and watch this!"

tom

Old June 20th 05, 10:52 PM
Jay Beckman

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
The last words of many a redneck pilot are "Hey, y'all, watch THIS."

Jim

Usually followed by the need to go one up which is preceeded by:

"Hell, that ain't nuthin'..."

Jay B

Old June 21st 05, 12:32 AM
John Galban

Tony wrote:
pull back hard, kick in some rudder and you'll get a neat snap roll.

Right into the ground!

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old June 21st 05, 12:59 AM
Dave Stadt

"John Galban" wrote in message
ups.com...

Tony wrote:
pull back hard, kick in some rudder and you'll get a neat snap roll.

Right into the ground!

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

If your gonna go, go with a bang!

Old June 21st 05, 03:33 AM

Stubby wrote:
Suppose you are in the final quarter of a loop maneuver, looking at the
ground. Your speed is high and you are pulling back hard to bring the
plane back to level. Can that result in a stall?

One can most easily burble the wings across the top of a loop by
holding a touch too much pressure... it happens all the time. What
takes real skill is stalling it over and over and over again all the
way around. :-)

My Decathlon-calibrated arm automatically pulls the right amount of
pressure to loop the airplane. When it encountered a loop in an Extra
300 for the first time, it was still giving Decathlon-scale tugs to an
airplane that really didn't want or need all that much help. I must
have stalled it about 8 or 10 times going around that first loop. I
was working and sweating and grunting and wondering what in the
slam-hell was going on while the GIB was laughing at me so hard he
almost cried.

She stalled going straight up and going straight down, going fast and
going slowly, and every possible combination thereof.

The only saving grace to such a miserable performance? If I could just
repeat it exactly a few more times, I can name it!

-Dave Russell
N2S-3

Old June 21st 05, 06:05 AM
Happy Dog

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in

In the last quarter of the loop you'd be at nearly maximum
speed.

Not necessarily. Or even usually. The exit speed depends on the speed at
the top and the tighness of the pullout.

Other aircraft may not stall smoothly and symmetrically and
could snap roll in this configuration.

High speed stalls are pretty rough on the airframe (and
pilot). They are an area that's extremely hard to explore
safely.

Who said this? Below Va there perfectly safe. Power-on makes them pretty
hairy though.

moo