Bad place to stall

Old June 21st 05, 09:37 AM
Centurion

Stubby wrote:

Happy Dog wrote:

"Stubby" wrote in message

Suppose you are in the final quarter of a loop maneuver, looking at the
ground. Your speed is high and you are pulling back hard to bring the
plane back to level. Can that result in a stall?

By "level" I assume you mean no longer losing altitude. There are lots
of videos on the web of people mushing into the ground at the bottom of a
loop.
The nose is often pointed up ( a bit). But they're well stalled and
still
descending. You can stall at any speed. (Up until the point where you
tear the wings off.)

Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Many pilots tell me
things like, "You can't stall when you're going fast." They're wrong!

And here's one the really cook your noodle: at zero-G a wing wont stall.
Think about it.

James
--
donnerjack Nothing says "I enjoy living with you" like the gift of
3rd degree burns...

Old June 21st 05, 03:28 PM
Klein

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:08:05 -0400, T o d d P a t t i s t
wrote:

"Happy Dog" wrote:

In the last quarter of the loop you'd be at nearly maximum
speed.

Not necessarily. Or even usually. The exit speed depends on the speed at
the top and the tighness of the pullout.

I agree that exit speed can be controlled, but if I'm trying
to make it round, and I usually am, the last quarter is the
highest speed part of the loop.

If you are trying to make a round loop, the last quarter of the loop
should look just like the first quarter. The entry speed, altitude
and the initial g pull should be the same as the exit speed, altitude
and g pull. That said, when coming around the back side, the ground
rushing up at you does tend to make you pull harder than necessary,
causing stalls to occur. Of course, this also makes a lousy looking
loop. If you are also low, you may also smack the ground.

High speed stalls are pretty rough on the airframe (and
pilot). They are an area that's extremely hard to explore
safely.

Who said this?

I did :-)

If you are in an Extra, there's not much to worry about. You probably
can't stand what it can stand.

Klein
Old June 21st 05, 04:07 PM
Happy Dog

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"Happy Dog" wrote:

In the last quarter of the loop you'd be at nearly maximum
speed.

Not necessarily. Or even usually. The exit speed depends on the speed at
the top and the tighness of the pullout.

I agree that exit speed can be controlled, but if I'm trying
to make it round, and I usually am, the last quarter is the
highest speed part of the loop.

High speed stalls are pretty rough on the airframe (and
pilot). They are an area that's extremely hard to explore
safely.

Who said this?

I did :-)

Below Va there perfectly safe.

I'd dispute "perfectly safe" and make it "theoretically
perfectly safe when done correctly in calm conditions."
It's the difference between theory and the real world with
all of it's "gotcha's".

Va is no guarantee of no damage if the pilot uses unusual
control inputs (double pump) or combines
rudder/aileron/elevator inputs. It's no guarantee that
there's no corrosion or fatigue cracks reducing your limits.
It's no guarantee that you won't hit a gust putting you over
Va just as you start your sudden control movement. Even if
the aircraft is brand new, trying to practice stalls at
maximum rated g-load is going to make it older faster than
treating it more gently.

As an aside, I'd certainly hope anyone trying high speed
stalls would be below Va. Stalling at a speed above Va will
exceed the maximum allowed load factor.

Do not spin this aircraft. If the aircraft does enter a spin it will
return to earth without further attention on the part of the aeronaut.

(first handbook issued with the Curtis-Wright flyer)

Old June 21st 05, 04:10 PM
Happy Dog

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in
Not necessarily. Or even usually. The exit speed depends on the speed at
the top and the tighness of the pullout.

I agree that exit speed can be controlled, but if I'm trying
to make it round, and I usually am, the last quarter is the
highest speed part of the loop.

It should be close to the same speed as the first part of the loop.

High speed stalls are pretty rough on the airframe (and
pilot). They are an area that's extremely hard to explore
safely.

Who said this?

I did :-)

Below Va they're perfectly safe.

I'd dispute "perfectly safe" and make it "theoretically
perfectly safe when done correctly in calm conditions."
It's the difference between theory and the real world with
all of it's "gotcha's".

Semantics are so unadorable.

moo