First Soaring Experience

Old September 1st 05, 12:42 AM
Jay Honeck

Default First Soaring Experience

A friend of ours has been after us to fly up to Ames, IA (home of "the
other" Iowa university, Iowa State) to go flying with the "Silent Knights"
soaring club for months.

Today was the planned day, but things were up in the air after my mother-in
law passed away unexpectedly on Sunday. Mary has been incredibly knotted
up with the usual emotion, phone calls, emails, and preparation for the
funeral services to come -- but she wasn't heading to Wisconsin till
tomorrow, so when I asked her if she wanted to cancel our long-standing plan
to fly to Ames, she replied in the negative. Rather, she was hoping the day
would take her mind off of everything.

What an experience! With Mary as PIC the four of us touched down in Ames
at around 10 AM, in picture-perfect (lousy for soaring, great for flying)
weather, and we were soon underway. We met Paul (our instructor pilot) and
Rollin (our tow pilot), drew straws to see who would go first, and soon Mary
was being towed behind Rollin in the Super Cub.

20 minutes later, she returned, googly eyed and talking a mile a minute. It
was a terrific ride, she said, and it was good to see that the experience
had clearly pulled her out of the funk she'd been in for days.

Then it was my turn. Climbing into the two-place Blanik L-13 was fairly
straight-forward (certainly easier than getting into the Super Cub
towplane!), and quite comfortable (although hot), once strapped in. After a
few minutes of pre-flight briefing (basically, what not to touch, and the
signals we both needed to know), we were ready to go.

With my friend holding the left wing tip, Rollin fire-walled the Super Cub,
and the long wings were instantly alive. Soon our wing-runner couldn't keep
up, but that didn't matter, as we no longer needed his assistance -- we were
airborne in 100 feet! With Paul at the controls, we slowly climbed out,
with that Super Cub impossibly close, seemingly super-imposed in one spot on
our plexiglas windshield. It was more like riding a slow-motion elevator
than flying, as we just seemed to levitate straight up.

As we climbed through 500 feet, he had me take the rudder controls only, and
showed me how the rudder was used to move the towplane around the
windshield. This was strange stuff, for a Spam Can pilot -- imagine, using
the rudder pedals for something other than ground steering! :-) Only
after I could keep the Super Cub in the same part of the windshield did he
let me take the stick, telling me just to keep the wings level while using
the rudders to steer.

Suddenly, the Super Cub wasn't super-imposed in the same spot anymore! I
was initially all over the place, as I played with various stick and rudder
pressures, trying to gauge how much pressure would result in any given
movement. Gradually, I settled down, and with great concentration was able
to keep the tow plane relatively centered in the windshield.

Then Paul "boxed the wake" -- a standard maneuver that took us all around
the tow-plane's prop-wash, from lower left to upper left, to upper right, to
lower right. It was very smooth, and interesting to watch as the tow rope
would move around, trying to yank the Super Cub's butt out of line. It was
easy to see Rollin's reaction on the rudders as Paul would move the glider
around behind him, and you could tell that being the tow pilot was not a
piece of cake.

When I asked if I could try "boxing the wake", at first Paul said no, it
was a later lesson. Then he thought about it, and decided to let me have a
crack at it -- so I was soon doing my best to yank the tow plane's tail off.
It seemed that way anyway, although after a minute or two I got the hang of
it, and was able to successfully "box the wake" -- which earned me a big
attaboy (and, later, exclamation marks in my log book).

Then, poof! -- Paul cut us loose from the tow plane, and everything went
silent. We were about 3000 feet AGL, and the sky out front was suddenly
quite empty, as we veered right, and Rollin veered left. I was suddenly
aware that we were SOARING, not flying around behind an engine, and it was a
strange feeling of exhilaration and fear. What would we do if we couldn't
make the airport? Where the hell WAS the airport, anyway?

In all of my concentration, I realized I had NO idea where the airport was!
Luckily, as I muttered this under my breath (and Paul, in the back seat,
clearly heard it -- MAN it's quiet in there!), he answered (and I
simultaneously saw) that the runways were directly underneath us, and we
really had no worries.

Then he gave me the controls, and I started to see how this soaring stuff
worked. Heck, the VSI was pegged in the middle -- there was NO rate of
descent, even though we were seemingly standing still! At 45 knots, there
was absolutely no sense of motion, so long as I kept our drift string (taped
on the windshield) running parallel to our direction of flight. As soon as
that got out of whack, we were crabbing or slipping, and then the wind noise
would pick up, and you could tell we were actually moving. Stepping on the
pedals would make the string flail back and forth, but I soon figured out
how had to press, and when -- and the string just sat there, motionless.

So THAT is what those rudder pedals are for!

I was amazed at the maneuverability of the big bird. After a bit of
straight and level, and then turning to a heading, I was able to turn that
glider around in what felt like its own length! We were wheeling and
soaring like a bird, and all was right with the world.

When I asked Paul about stalls, he had me do one -- wow! I had thought 45
knots felt slow -- but this was ridiculous! We literally STOPPED the thing
in mid-air, and sat there like a "just ran off a cliff" cartoon character --
and then the nose fell through, straight and level. No wing drop, no loss
of altitude (well, maybe 50 feet), and we were back in straight and level
flight.

Too soon we had run out of time -- there was no lift to be had under the
high broken overcast -- and it was time to land. I was amazed to see (and
feel) how effective the spoilers and dive brakes were -- deploying and
stowing them felt just like retarding and adding throttle! Paul expertly
swung us around the pattern, and dropped us on a dime, right back where we
started!

What a great day. Our other friends went up, too, and I was able to
participate in the whole rigarmarole of soaring, from dragging the gliders
with cars, to hooking up, to running alongside, to tying down. We then
went out for a huge lunch, and the four of us flew back to Iowa City, fat,
dumb and happy.

I don't really have any interest in getting my glider rating -- there
doesn't seem to be any utility in it -- but, man, I sure do understand you
guys that have been raving about it. It's a real aviation challenge that
gives instant gratification!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 1st 05, 01:02 AM
BTIZ

Great Post Jay!!!! I've cross posted to r.a.s

Come on out to Las Vegas between late May and later Sept, and we'll show you
how to really soar!!

BTIZ
CFIG

Old September 1st 05, 01:06 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:42:31 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
HfrRe.320147$xm3.78586@attbi_s21::

I was amazed at the maneuverability of the big bird.

The Blanik L-13 is aerobatic too. But there's no utility in that. :-)
Old September 1st 05, 01:14 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jay Honeck wrote:
A friend of ours has been after us to fly up to Ames, IA (home of "the
other" Iowa university, Iowa State) to go flying with the "Silent Knights"
soaring club for months.

I had the opportunity to go soaring some years ago up around Boone, NC in the
Great Smokey Mountains. I figured I'd be on top of things but frankly, I got a
little green around the gills after a time. It was hot and I wasn't the one
doing the flying... a bad combination to be sure. Fortunately I didn't disgrace
myself but I was relieved we weren't able to do any aerobatics as earlier
planned... something to do with weight and balance. No doubt if we had I'd have
donated my lunch to the cockpit.

I'm glad I tried it; just as I'm glad I parachuted out of a C-182 with an old
T-10 chute back in the mid 70s... just to see if I would actually do it. I had
a college roommate who was a glider pilot who flew with the Bermuda High Soaring
folks out of Chester, SC. The only folks he took flying were of the female
variety... but that's another story.

Anyway, I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed your experience... and I'm sorry for
your loss. I lost my own mother last Christmas to pancreatic cancer one week
after she was diagnosed. I fully understand the emotional maelstrom your wife
has gone through.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old September 1st 05, 01:31 AM
N93332

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
A friend of ours has been after us to fly up to Ames, IA (home of "the
other" Iowa university, Iowa State) to go flying with the "Silent Knights"
soaring club for months.

Hey Jay, sounds like a great time! So, there is a reason to go to Ames
besides the biennial football game. ;-)

Old September 1st 05, 02:32 AM
Jack Allison

20 minutes later, she returned, googly eyed and talking a mile a minute.

What? Mary talking a mile minute? Nah, must have been someone else
Jay! :-)

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Definitely on my list of things
to do in the aviation department. What an excuse to fly to Minden, NV, eh?

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old September 1st 05, 03:05 AM
Jay Honeck

Anyway, I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed your experience... and I'm
sorry for your loss. I lost my own mother last Christmas to pancreatic
cancer one week after she was diagnosed. I fully understand the emotional
maelstrom your wife has gone through.

Thanks, Mort. It's been a weird week, for sure.

Having lost both of my parents, one in '93 and one in '99, I know exactly
what's going inside Mary's head -- and it was good to see here happy again,
if only for a few hours. These coming few days are going to be absolute
hell for her, but hopefully those 30 minutes spent soaring will stay with
her and help...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 1st 05, 03:44 AM

Jay Honeck wrote:

I don't really have any interest in getting my glider rating -- there
doesn't seem to be any utility in it -- but, man, I sure do understand you
guys that have been raving about it. It's a real aviation challenge that
gives instant gratification!

Jay, give it a moment, and a few more flights.
There is an incredible amount of finess and control t be learned
and re-learned. The payoff is when you take Atlas to the
back-country of Idaho next year and can predict (within 10 feet)
where you will touch down... and how far it will roll...
and use finess, not brute strength and banging it down.

Did you notice the "touchdown to stop" distance of the glider.
Slow and in control wins the day... the Wright brothers were right!

Airplanes are for going somewhere...
Sailplanes are for going up and down and having FUN!

Did you do "roller coasters"?

Tell the CFI you are studying for your CFI...
you can practice incipient spins...
a REAL hoot in a glider!

It was great meeting you at Oshkosh... and on the cell. :-)

"Soaring is when you are going up...
gliding is when you are going down".

Best regards,

LtCol Jer/ Eberhard, Colorado Wing Checkpilot (airplanes and gliders),
Assistant Glider Program Manager, Colorado Wing, CAP

--
LtCol Jer/ Eberhard, CO-Wing, Thompson Valley CS., Ft Collins, CO
CELL/VM: 970 231-6325, CELL Message: 9702316325'at'mobile.att.net
Old September 1st 05, 04:17 AM

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
Having lost both of my parents, one in '93 and one in '99, I know exactly
what's going inside Mary's head -- and it was good to see here happy again,
if only for a few hours. These coming few days are going to be absolute
hell for her, but hopefully those 30 minutes spent soaring will stay with
her and help...

Jay, my sympathies on Mary's loss, yours too. My mother's death and her
profound words to me the week before were my inspiration for learning to
fly. She said: "You'll never look back and regret time you spent on your
loved ones; don't get to where I am (dying), look back and regret *NOT*
having spent time on yourself." On the first anniversary of her death, I
took a glider demo ride. Took my checkride (glider) just over a year
from the demo ride, with a few months off when dad died. Transitioned to
power last year. They told me the same thing on final approach ... once
it's trimmed and lined up, use the throttle like you did the
spoilers/divebrakes.

To me, even though they're both "flying", it's like the difference
between Megadeth and Kenny G! I love both, but powered flight is so
manic in comparison!