TurboProp Plane ID request

Old October 20th 05, 12:45 AM
Dennis Mayer

Default TurboProp Plane ID request

I've read this newsgroup for 4 months with great Aero interest.....

Today in GBay, WI an unusually large single prop, turbo engine plane

flew quite low overhead... It reminded me of a fat, long Bell XP-59.

Plane had a single nose Prop, sound of a jet engine, tall T tail, and

both a fat & long fuselage with straight wings.... What Plane was
this ??

Minutes before a DC-10/KC-10 appeared at medium altitude....
Old October 20th 05, 01:06 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Dennis Mayer said:
Plane had a single nose Prop, sound of a jet engine, tall T tail, and
both a fat & long fuselage with straight wings.... What Plane was
this ??

Possibly a Pilatus PC-12?
http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Alright. Talk. Don't make me reach over there and pull your still-pumping
Old October 20th 05, 01:28 AM
Dennis Mayer

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, Dennis Mayer said:
Plane had a single nose Prop, sound of a jet engine, tall T tail, and
both a fat & long fuselage with straight wings.... What Plane was
this ??

Possibly a Pilatus PC-12?

Thanks Paul... The PC-12 pictures I just visited matches the plane

a 'T'.. The Give a way was the aft fuselage, bottom notched
'port'...

I know my Military plane ID's well, but never saw nor heard of this
one.

Thanks Again !!

Old October 20th 05, 03:07 AM
Paul Tomblin

Paul Tomblin wrote:
Possibly a Pilatus PC-12?

Thanks Paul... The PC-12 pictures I just visited matches the plane
to a 'T'.. The Give a way was the aft fuselage, bottom notched
'port'...

I know my Military plane ID's well, but never saw nor heard of this
one.

I'm not in that league, but from what I've read it's one of the best
combinations of single-engine simplicity and turbo-prop performance. It's
certainly on my list of "what planes to buy when I win the lottery", right
after a deHavilland Beaver on floats.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"It is a universal truth that the loss of liberty will be charged to
Old October 20th 05, 05:03 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dennis Mayer" wrote in message

I've read this newsgroup for 4 months with great Aero interest.....

Today in GBay, WI an unusually large single prop, turbo engine plane

flew quite low overhead... It reminded me of a fat, long Bell XP-59.

Plane had a single nose Prop, sound of a jet engine, tall T tail, and

both a fat & long fuselage with straight wings.... What Plane was
this ??

It was a Pilatus PC12. Where were you when you saw it?

Old October 20th 05, 04:49 PM
Dennis Mayer

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Dennis Mayer" wrote in message

I've read this newsgroup for 4 months with great Aero interest.....

Today in GBay, WI an unusually large single prop, turbo engine plane

flew quite low overhead... It reminded me of a fat, long Bell XP-59.

Plane had a single nose Prop, sound of a jet engine, tall T tail, and

both a fat & long fuselage with straight wings.... What Plane was
this ??

It was a Pilatus PC12. Where were you when you saw it?

It was about 11 AM in the morning..... Doing garden trimming...

Plane was flying somewhat low (heard jet engine) from East to West...

I was in backyard... about 2 miles SE of Lambeau Field (Packer
Country).

I'm located just East of the FOX River in GBay.
Old October 20th 05, 05:35 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dennis Mayer" wrote in message

It was about 11 AM in the morning..... Doing garden trimming...

Plane was flying somewhat low (heard jet engine) from East to West...

I was in backyard... about 2 miles SE of Lambeau Field (Packer
Country).

I'm located just East of the FOX River in GBay.

Thanks. It was "somewhat low" because it was landing at Austin Straubel.

Old October 21st 05, 12:26 PM
Greg Farris

In article ,
says...

I'm not in that league, but from what I've read it's one of the best
combinations of single-engine simplicity and turbo-prop performance. It's
certainly on my list of "what planes to buy when I win the lottery", right
after a deHavilland Beaver on floats.

A lot of operators consider it to be "the one I don't need to win the
lottery to own. . ." The single-engined turboprop is doing a lot of damage
to KingAir sales. The cost efficiency is not so much in the purchase price,
or in the fuel costs, which are both in the same order of magnitude to twin
turboprops, but in maintenance, you have only one PT6-A to overhaul,
instead of two, which is a substantial savings in operating cost.

Ironically, two of the hottest contenders in this market, Pilatus
(Switzerland) and Socata (France) are in places where there are significant
restrictions on single-engine IFR operations.

GF

Old October 21st 05, 06:49 PM
Chip Hermes

Dennis Mayer wrote:
It was about 11 AM in the morning..... Doing garden trimming...

Plane was flying somewhat low (heard jet engine) from East to West...

I was in backyard... about 2 miles SE of Lambeau Field (Packer
Country).

I'm located just East of the FOX River in GBay.

It was probably a few minutes shy of 11:50am CDT:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N335WH

Chip