747-400 questions

Old February 26th 07, 11:24 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default 747-400 questions

capt writes:

on T/O set the IAS to 250
arm the autothrottles and the engine speed will come up automtically

I usually don't have any problem with take-off. I look at the speeds that the
FMC gives me for take off, set the speed selector to that speed or just above,
then set the throttles by hand to about 70% N1 and press the TOGA button. The
autothrottle then sets full thrust and, since I'm usually light, a slight
backward pull on the yoke at Vr starts the nose up. I immediately back off a
bit to avoid a tail strike and try to hold it at about 7 degrees, and as soon
as I have positive climb it's gear up. At 500-1000 feet, I engage LNAV and
VNAV. By then I've also retracted the flaps.

Usually that works well, although on a few occasions the aircraft has really
pitched up steeply and I'm not sure why.

Anyway, it's taxiing that's difficult. It seems that around 36% N1 can get me
rolling at a reasonable speed, but there's still a tendency to end up going 40
kts on the taxiway. And if I throttle back, I end up coming to a gentle stop
instead. It's problematic no matter how the aircraft is loaded.

Old February 25th 07, 03:57 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 24, 6:34 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Two things bothering me lately:

1. Sometimes when I autostart 2 and 3 after starting 1 and 4, I get an alarm
as I pull the start switch or when I pull the start button. However, there's
no message on the MFD or anything, so I can't figure out what they aircraft is
complaining about. I haven't been able to find a reason in the documentation.
Does anyone know what would cause an annunicator to go off when I start 2 or
3?

2. Is there any way to turn off all heading modes in the MCP? That is,
neither SEL nor HOLD nor LNAV nor anything else. The idea being that I could
use the autopilot to hold altitude but I could still steer the aircraft by
hand. Right now I can turn by hand, but the autopilot will turn me back to
the previous heading as soon as I release the controls.

3. If I throttle up to 70% and engage TOGA to take off, per the documentation,
the autothrottle seems to set the throttle mighty low. This happens when I'm
lightly loaded and I still reach rotation speed and all. Is this normal
behavior of the autothrottle if rotation speed is low on a lightly loaded
aircraft, or am I doing something wrong? If I don't touch the throttles and
just press the TOGA switch, I seem to get full throttle (although then I also
get an excessive pitch up and climb rate sometimes). What mistake(s) am I
making?

4. How can I find an optimal throttle setting for taxi? It seems I'm always
either accelerating or decelerating. I'm also surprised at how far I have to
advance the throttles just to get moving (and then once I'm moving, I have to
throttle back to avoid constant acceleration).

This is all in the PMDG 747-400, not the default one.

Consult the operations manual published by Boeing. Every operator of
a 747-400 is issued a copy with purchase of the airplane...

Old February 25th 07, 07:33 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

YaguMac writes:

Guess you need to buy a Mac Flight game

I need to find intelligent people who know what they are talking about and can
answer my questions.

PMA Questions Mike Granby Piloting 24 December 11th 05 11:24 PM
PMA Questions Mike Granby Owning 24 December 11th 05 11:24 PM
IPC questions? Roy Smith Instrument Flight Rules 12 June 1st 04 10:40 AM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM
Seven Questions For Michael Moore from a Blogger (was Questions for Mr. Bush, from Michael Moore) Jim Yanik Military Aviation 2 October 9th 03 09:36 PM