Imron?

Old April 22nd 04, 04:45 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Default Imron?

Is there any way to tell if my plane is currently painted in Imron? One
paint shop I'm considering won't touch it if it is. The log entry
doesn't say.

The previous owner had put some clear packing tape over the wing root
vents for winter flying, and when I peeled the stuff off it took paint
with it, leaving me with spots of bare metal. That would lead me to
believe it's NOT Imron.

P.S. I realize this is a stupid question and that it probably doesn't
take a lot of knowledge of paint to tell Imron from Lacquer. :-) Takes
more than I have at the moment though.
Old April 22nd 04, 01:04 PM
Steve Robertson

Don't use that paint shop. Imron is widely used on aircraft, and a good
paint shop will have no problem stripping it off. If you are seeing major
flaking down to bare metal, it doesn't necessarily mean it was or wasn't a
particular kind of paint. It usually means that the aluminum wasn't prepared
properly for painting.

I have seen where a number of paint shops don't want to deal with Alumigrip
brand paint. Supposedly it's particularly hard to strip. Also, most shops
won't paint your plane if you have had a recent ant-corrosion treatment due
to the oil seepage. But I've never heard of a shop that won't work on an
Imron plane.

Let me advise you strongly to avoid having lacquer paint sprayed on your
plane. It won't last nearly as long as a modern paint like Imron. In fact,
Imron is my paint of choice.

Best regards,

Steve Robertson
N4732J 1967 Beechcraft Musketeer

Old April 22nd 04, 03:08 PM
Jay Honeck

Is there any way to tell if my plane is currently painted in Imron? One
paint shop I'm considering won't touch it if it is.

I'll "second" Steve's motion: Find another paint shop.

Imron is the paint of choice for airplanes. It's more difficult to work
with, but the results are much more long-lasting.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 22nd 04, 06:34 PM
Otis Winslow

Question along the same line. What can I get to touch up some chips and
such on an Imron paint job. Is this something an auto body paint store
could mix up a small amount from the Imron paint #'s?

Old April 23rd 04, 01:08 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Ok, I got some bad information and thus made a confusion post: I was
told that Alumigrip IS Imron. The paint shop told me they wouldn't
strip *Alumigrip* because of what you described - they didn't mention
Imron. When I asked around about Alumigrip I was told it was the same
as Imron, and thus the use of that word in my post. Guess it isn't.

Just goes to show, one should rely on the Internet for really important
information. Hmm.. I wonder if there actually might be something to all
those member-enlargement-drug emails I get...

Old April 23rd 04, 04:56 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Otis Winslow wrote:

Question along the same line. What can I get to touch up some chips and
such on an Imron paint job. Is this something an auto body paint store
could mix up a small amount from the Imron paint #'s?

If you know the name or number of the Imron color, most auto paint shops can mix you
up the same thing in another paint. If the inspection plates are the color you want
to match, take one in. Some paint shops can match old paint pretty well.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 23rd 04, 12:55 PM
Otis Winslow

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote in message
Hmm.. I wonder if there actually might be something to all
those member-enlargement-drug emails I get...

No. Don't fall for it. It's a joke. They actually work in reverse.

Otis "Tiny" Winslow

Old April 23rd 04, 03:07 PM
David Lesher

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Imron is the paint of choice for airplanes. It's more difficult to work
with, but the results are much more long-lasting.

I seem to recall it's quite hazardous to apply; far more so than
"paint" in general. Once dry, however... Anyone know the details?
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old April 23rd 04, 04:19 PM
Doug

One disadvantage of Imron and other polyurethane paints is they have
hardener. So there is no way to have a paint shop put the paint in a
small aerosol can and use it periodically to paint your chips,
scratches etc. If you did this, it would harden.
Old April 23rd 04, 04:28 PM
G.R. Patterson III

David Lesher wrote:

I seem to recall it's quite hazardous to apply; far more so than
"paint" in general. Once dry, however... Anyone know the details?

It's a cyano-acrylic paint. Highly poisonous. Requires a full body suit with no
exposed skin and a external air supply (goes right through filters). Ron Natalie can
provide more details than most people will need.