ASW 27 destroyed by lightning in trailer

Old November 20th 19, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default ASW 27 destroyed by lightning in trailer

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 2:54:41 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 9:18:05 AM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:
So, anyone brave enough to admit that they were the high bidder on this rare sailplane? As Hank said, not many have landed in a lake AND been struck by lightning!

Steve Leonard

Is there a citation to the story of the lake landing? I must have stepped away from soaring then.

You need to watch "A Fine Week of Soaring".

T8
Old November 20th 19, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 1:54:41 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 9:18:05 AM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:
So, anyone brave enough to admit that they were the high bidder on this rare sailplane? As Hank said, not many have landed in a lake AND been struck by lightning!

Steve Leonard

Is there a citation to the story of the lake landing? I must have stepped away from soaring then.

SOARING, August 1999.
Old November 20th 19, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 11:09:56 AM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 12:40:22 PM UTC-6, JS wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 9:18:05 AM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:
So, anyone brave enough to admit that they were the high bidder on this rare sailplane? As Hank said, not many have landed in a lake AND been struck by lightning!

Steve Leonard

Wasn't you then.
Jim

I bid, but not enough.

Steve Leonard

If it remains in the USA, you'll own it eventually. :-)

Old November 20th 19, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 2:36:50 PM UTC-6, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 11:09:56 AM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 12:40:22 PM UTC-6, JS wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 9:18:05 AM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:
So, anyone brave enough to admit that they were the high bidder on this rare sailplane? As Hank said, not many have landed in a lake AND been struck by lightning!

Steve Leonard

Wasn't you then.
Jim

I bid, but not enough.

Steve Leonard

If it remains in the USA, you'll own it eventually. :-)

Doubtful, Darryl. It may well find a new fuselage to go with the wings and horizontal tail. I have an RS-15 fuselage that could have made a fun project for those parts. I do hope the high bidder on the plane also bought the trailer. Makes for much easier transport.

No, I didn't bid enough on the trailer, either.

Steve Leonard
Old November 21st 19, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Needing a particular part, I have asked AIG who got the high bid on salvage in the past. They told me who received the high bid, but would not disclose what the high bid was.
JJ
Old November 21st 19, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Well, with such free advertising on RAS I bet the winning bid was relatively high

Ramy
Old November 21st 19, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 8:38:03 PM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:
Well, with such free advertising on RAS I bet the winning bid was relatively high

Ramy

How many volts and watts are in lightning?
Lightning can have 100 million to 1 billion volts, and contains billions of watts.
I looked up some lightning info and found this site.
https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/...lightning/faq/
Old November 21st 19, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 11:38:03 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
Well, with such free advertising on RAS I bet the winning bid was relatively high

Ramy

The people who are likely to be able to undertake projects like this watch the AIG site. I doubt RAS affected the bidding.
From the buyer of about two dozen "totaled" gliders.
UH
Old November 23rd 19, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

UH, your collection of totaled gliders saved me from being grounded an extra couple of month thanks to your canopy frame.
And the fear of being grounded for long time initiated my decision to start looking for a new glider, resulting in upgrading to a 29 six month later.
Thanks you!

Ramy
Old November 24th 19, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 5:43:23 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 11:38:03 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
Well, with such free advertising on RAS I bet the winning bid was relatively high

Ramy

The people who are likely to be able to undertake projects like this watch the AIG site. I doubt RAS affected the bidding.
From the buyer of about two dozen "totaled" gliders.
UH

UH, how many of these two dozen gliders were returned to airworthiness and how many were parted out?

Tom