No more insects or rain droplets on glider wings?

Old November 19th 19, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default No more insects or rain droplets on glider wings?

Look at this:

https://www.cnet.com/news/high-tech-...e-gross-stuff/

Waiting for first reports from owners of gliders with high sensitivity to wing contamination...
Old November 19th 19, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

You go first
I'll watch
Old November 19th 19, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 9:25:13 PM UTC-6, Tom BravoMike wrote:
Look at this:

https://www.cnet.com/news/high-tech-...e-gross-stuff/

Waiting for first reports from owners of gliders with high sensitivity to wing contamination...

Heard on NPR the coating is especially made to be non-sticky to human feces. How often do you have to worry about that on your glider?
Old November 19th 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 10:29:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 9:25:13 PM UTC-6, Tom BravoMike wrote:
Look at this:

https://www.cnet.com/news/high-tech-...e-gross-stuff/

Waiting for first reports from owners of gliders with high sensitivity to wing contamination...

Heard on NPR the coating is especially made to be non-sticky to human feces. How often do you have to worry about that on your glider?

I have been known to do some ****ty flying.
LOL
UH
Old November 19th 19, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 9:25:13 PM UTC-6, Tom BravoMike wrote:
Look at this:

https://www.cnet.com/news/high-tech-...e-gross-stuff/

Waiting for first reports from owners of gliders with high sensitivity to wing contamination...

Spotless Materials, the company created to commercialize the product, states on their website:
"Our technical experts are here for you.
Not sure if our coatings are right for you, your team, or your or fleet? Our team is here to answer all your questions. We are also happy to arrange PILOT programs for custom purchases."

https://www.spotlessmaterials.com/au...ollection.html

That's ambiguous. Will they also arrange GLIDER pilot programs for custom purchases? :-)
Old November 19th 19, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Good for only 500 flushes though it says. However, NASA has been working on a bug-shedding coating, According to this article. Not sure what became of it.
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...ough-bug-guts/
Old November 19th 19, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Are there bugs in space???Â* I thought that was just in the movies.

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 19th 19, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 12:56:12 PM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
Good for only 500 flushes though it says.

I seem to get flushed pretty regularly.....
Old November 19th 19, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Pesticides and monoculture ag that's crashing insect populations seems to be doing a pretty good job of keeping bugs off wings. Too bad about the birds, though.
Old November 20th 19, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess

I guess that bug impact at 60 kts is going to push aside the coating. In other words one bug at 60 kts = 500 flushes in that spot.