Tire painting

Old October 26th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Tire painting

Well, not the whole tire, just a stipe to find the valve stem.

Anyone have any wisdom on the effects of paint on tires, paint you
absolutely shouldn't use, etc?

I would guess exterior latex house paint would be harmless to tires
and would last a while, but since I just put on tires, I hate to guess.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old October 26th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

RK Henry wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 00:35:02 GMT, wrote:

Well, not the whole tire, just a stipe to find the valve stem.

Anyone have any wisdom on the effects of paint on tires, paint you
absolutely shouldn't use, etc?

I would guess exterior latex house paint would be harmless to tires
and would last a while, but since I just put on tires, I hate to guess.

Interesting idea, especially when I think how much time I've spent
rolling the airplane back and forth trying to find the valve.

Look for a tire lettering pen in an automotive parts store. It's a
paint pen for dressing up the lettering on your tires, so you can
highlight the letters molded on the tires and pretend you spent extra
for white-lettered tires.

A quick look online at Auto Barn's site and also at J.C. Whitney's
site (only because these quickly came to mind as a place to look
online) shows a white tire pen for tire lettering. About 6 bucks.
Should be able to find this item locally.

I suppose you could even highlight the letters on your aircraft tires.
I'm thinking of hanging fuzzy dice from my compass.

RK Henry

I forgot those things existed, that should do it.

Fuzzy dice are OK, but a plastic Jesus on top the panel would be more
appropriate for when the passgeners go "Oh, Jesus", I can just point.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old October 26th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blanche

I just use a yellow or white grease pen from your local office
supply store. About 99 cents. Also know as china marking pencils.

Old October 26th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve Foley

wrote in message
RK Henry wrote:

Fuzzy dice are OK, but a plastic Jesus on top the panel would be more
appropriate for when the passgeners go "Oh, Jesus", I can just point.

Or you could get fake dog poop from the joke store for when people say "Oh
S#%@"

Old October 26th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
g n p

wrote in message

Well, not the whole tire, just a stipe to find the valve stem.

Anyone have any wisdom on the effects of paint on tires, paint you
absolutely shouldn't use, etc?

I would guess exterior latex house paint would be harmless to tires
and would last a while, but since I just put on tires, I hate to guess.

--
Jim Pennino

It was my understanding that the stripe spanning tire and rim was to check
for tire slippage ON the rim which would imply stress in the valve-inner
tube join.

Old October 26th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

g n p wrote:
wrote in message

Well, not the whole tire, just a stipe to find the valve stem.

Anyone have any wisdom on the effects of paint on tires, paint you
absolutely shouldn't use, etc?

I would guess exterior latex house paint would be harmless to tires
and would last a while, but since I just put on tires, I hate to guess.

--
Jim Pennino

It was my understanding that the stripe spanning tire and rim was to check
for tire slippage ON the rim which would imply stress in the valve-inner
tube join.

That may be, but my purpose is purely to be able to find the valve
stem while at the tow bar.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old October 26th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RK Henry

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:32:44 +0300, "g n p"
wrote:

wrote in message

Well, not the whole tire, just a stipe to find the valve stem.

Anyone have any wisdom on the effects of paint on tires, paint you
absolutely shouldn't use, etc?

I would guess exterior latex house paint would be harmless to tires
and would last a while, but since I just put on tires, I hate to guess.

--
Jim Pennino

It was my understanding that the stripe spanning tire and rim was to check
for tire slippage ON the rim which would imply stress in the valve-inner
tube join.

Well what I was thinking about is that my Warrior's wheel pants make
the tire valve difficult to find. When I need to check tire pressure,
which is regularly, I push or pull the airplane a few feet and then
walk to the side to see if the valve is in sight. Repeat until the
valve is accessible. The nose tire is worse since the valve can be on
either side and that changes whenever the nose tire is flipped to even
wear.

I'm thinking that instead of a stripe from the valve along the
sidewall, a simple index mark visible from the nose would be more
useful. On the main gear, a small dot on the inside of the tire might
be sufficient. And a white mark would be most visible from the snout,
which is where you're usually standing to push or pull the airplane.

The more I think about this idea, the better I like it. It could save
me a lot of time.

RK Henry
Old October 26th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

That's the problem with the Tiger.

The only way to see the one on the nose wheel is to lie on the ground.

I just got back from Pep Boys with a tire pen and am going to put a
stripe on the side of the tire.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old October 26th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

I had marks on my tires (changed tires and haven't gotten around to
replacing the marks) on my PA32. I marked the tires with 1 dot at the
valve stem if it is at 12 oclock, 2 dots at 3 oclock, 3 dots at 6 oclock
and 4 dots at 9 oclock so that I could always tell where the stem was
relative to the ground before I moved the airplane (at least one set of
marks is always visible below the fairing). From that I know about how
far and which way I need to push the airplane to get the valve stem at
the bottom without having to watch the wheel as I push. I just used a
yellow paint my A&P had in the shop. the tire marker sounds like a
better choice.

Sudden Flat Tire Kevin Kubiak Piloting 27 October 15th 05 02:17 AM
Tire question Jay Honeck Owning 30 February 8th 05 07:55 PM
Blasting and painting [email protected] Home Built 7 June 3rd 04 03:14 PM
Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying - resolution chris Soaring 6 October 26th 03 03:50 PM
Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying chris Soaring 42 October 22nd 03 03:51 AM