Outstanding Soaring: California Mojave, Owens Valley, Western NV -Fri-Sun 08/26-28

Old September 2nd 11, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Outstanding Soaring: California Mojave, Owens Valley, Western NV- Labor Day Weekend

On Aug 26, 8:01*am, Alex wrote:
On Aug 25, 5:45*pm, WaltWX wrote:

Take a look Dr Jack...

Outstanding soaring weather Fri through Sun. *Lift rates 700-800fpm
average... much stronger in those 10 per cent...

It's a toss up between Fri and Sunday. *The Mojave Desert, Owens
Valley and Western NV show full cu coverage bases 15,500 to 17,500. It
appears to be dry enough that only isolated thunderstorms will form in
the normal "hot spots". *Early trigger times also.

I reviewed Dr Jack this afternoon with a long ago crew of mine, John
Halcrow. *For Crystalaire, the pattern on Friday looks as good as I've
ever seen it. *BL (thermal) max heights 17,500msl (of course cloud
bases will limit altitudes to a little lower).

I'm coming back out Saturday to give my 750 km triangle another try
from Inyokern (please... leave me room for an 11:30am takeoff

Walt Rogers, WX

Walt,

I ran a 4KM resolution RASP last night for AVENAL that goes 2 days
out. It is centered on AVENAL, but covers the
high desert area around Edwards and the S. Sierra and Owens Valley up
to N. of Mono Lake. If I'm interpreting
it right (which is highly open to question), it's saying Friday and
Saturday, there should be good cumulus in the desert area in Region
12, *but it should *be drying out in Region 12 by *Sunday. *On Sunday,
the better cumulus will be more up North in Region 11. *On Friday,
there may be some higher level overcast from subtropical moisture
coming in from the SW with some chance of OD along the coast range
near Castle Peak and New Cuyama and over the S. part of the Sierras.
The higher level overcast shows up on the Skew-T sounding forecasts on
the RASP, *but not on the regular blipmaps. *This should be gone on
Saturday and Sunday. *Would be interested in what you think about it.
Also any pilot reports after the weekend is over would be interesting
to hear to correlate with the forecast.

http://alcald.homelinux.org/RASP/AVE...RASPtable.html

Alex Caldwell
Central Calif. Soaring Club
Avenal, CA, USA- Hide quoted text -

Well the forecast for this labor day weekend looks epic for the
Sierras, much better than last weekend. High base cu along the whole
length of the sierra on Saturday and accross the Great Basin as well
on Sunday. Monday should be similar.

California Sierras /Western Mojave: Good to Great Soaring weatherWed-Fri 08/19 to 08/21 WaltWX Soaring 4 August 19th 09 04:45 AM
R2505 restricted airspace...Owens valley. fredsez Soaring 1 September 23rd 08 06:00 AM
R2505 restricted airspace...Owens valley. fredsez Soaring 0 September 23rd 08 05:22 AM
Soaring in Owens Valley Tuno Soaring 8 August 24th 07 01:33 PM
Owens Valley E. Douglas Whitehead Soaring 1 August 21st 07 05:44 AM