First couple hours of real CFII dual given....

Old January 13th 04, 01:47 AM
karl

I'd download the 430 simulator. It's free and fantastic. You can get
proficient with just that and your PC. You definitely need to know the
Garmin logic.They sell BY FAR the most IFR GPS units.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gns430/

Also, try to get this person into actual conditions. Your own performance
will calm down and get down to business. I got my CFII long before I ever
became a CFIA, and believe the best instruction is from one who is calm and
enthusiastic. Don't worry about the little variations from perfection, just
get your student out in actual to build confidence. After that, fine
technique comes naturally.

Karl

Old January 13th 04, 03:21 PM
Michael

"Richard Hertz" wrote
As for the actual headings and altitudes - just think about the sort
of pattern the controllers normally use, and call the headings and
altitudes. If you need to, practice with little toy airplanes and
charts. A handheld GPS is great for 'cheating' especially at night or
if the terrain is featureless. Besides, if you're going to instruct
in actual you need one anyway.

Huh? care to explain that?

Well, if you're instructing in actual in the typical light GA
airplane, you're depending on the continued performance of a
non-redundant electrical system with a mostly unknown maintenance
history. Do you really want to risk your neck that way?

Carrying a handheld battery powered GPS means you retain the ability
to shoot most non-precision approaches in an emergency. I know people
who have had to do that.

Michael
Old January 13th 04, 04:54 PM
Ryan Ferguson

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message v.net...

Besides, if you're going to instruct
in actual you need one anyway.

Huh? care to explain that?

Maybe a slightly better wording would be "you're going to want one"
rather than need one. I view it as part of my responsibility as an
instrument flight instructor. I need to be prepared to get the
airplane back to home base in the event the panel goes dark. I can
fly a fair approach on a Garmin 295. It's really nice being able to
paint the FAC, then fly the closest applicable approach (VOR,
localizer, etc.) that overlays that course. Or if the GPS is so
equipped, you can even load the approach and fly it. Power in the
palm of your hand.

(I've had a total electrical failure in cold IMC in a light twin.
Thank the lawd for handheld GPS.)

And, it's nice for providing 'vectors' to the student, as Michael has
suggested.

.... or if you're a luddite or just think the damn things are a waste
of time, be my guest and fly without - that's your prerogative.

-Ryan
Old January 14th 04, 03:43 AM
Richard Hertz

I am not anti-technology, but an instrument pilot is supposed to be able to
fly partial panel, etc. To say that an instructor NEEDS one seems to imply
that they can't do without it.

Granted I seem to take a hard line view of a lot of "conventional wisdom".

I don't know why one would not be able to provide vectors without one. A
simple compass rose on a sectional/enroute chart is probably all the
visual/mental help one needs, though I have never instructed.

The problem with handhelds is that people come to rely on them so much they
lose all other navigation skills, procedures and situational awareness.
When the batteries die or the thing freezes, the pilot is left with
unpracticed, old skills and is in trouble.

I agree though - they can be real handy to have around when things go bad.
The trick is to ensure they are not used as a crutch...

I am not sure what
om...

Old January 14th 04, 01:18 PM
Ryan Ferguson

Yes, Richard. The pilot must not *require* the GPS to fly safely. Do
not fear, no pilot under my tutelage will feel unsafe without it when
they fly off into the wild grey yonder without me. That's how we
train. Here a VFR example. Just flew a 2 hour night cross-country
flight in a single-engine airplane yesterday evening over large areas
of featureless and unlit terrain. Turned off the GPS when we flipped
the avionics master on. My student did the whole darn thing using
pilotage. (Love those airport beacons!) Good 'nuff for ya?

The application for the instructor is, well, instructional. I can
provide "practice vectors" okay from non-satellite GPS sources, but
why? I don't need to prove anything. I'm not training to become an
air traffic controller. It's one more unneeded stressor in the
training environment. Puhleeeeze.

-Ryan
Old January 14th 04, 03:33 PM
Michael

"Richard Hertz" wrote
I am not anti-technology, but an instrument pilot is supposed to be able to
fly partial panel, etc.

Sure. But nobody can fly an approach with no navaids at all. If the
panel goes dark, that's exactly what you have unless you brought a
handheld.

To say that an instructor NEEDS one seems to imply
that they can't do without it.

And when the panel goes dark in IMC, that's exactly the case.

I don't know why one would not be able to provide vectors without one. A
simple compass rose on a sectional/enroute chart is probably all the
visual/mental help one needs, though I have never instructed.

That's true when you can accurately determine your position by looking
out the window. When that's the case, I don't even bother turning the
GPS on. Try giving vectors at night over featureless terrain, and
it's a different ball game. To give decent vectors, you need to know
your position within a mile or two at all times. Can YOU do that at
night over featureless terrain?

I do about half my IFR instruction at night - it's more realistic that
way, and makes the student work harder. I did my own IFR training the
same way. Around here, the land is flat and all the little bedroom
communities around Houston look the same. Under those conditions, a
GPS is almost a necessity for vectoring.

The problem with handhelds is that people come to rely on them so much they
lose all other navigation skills, procedures and situational awareness.
When the batteries die or the thing freezes, the pilot is left with
unpracticed, old skills and is in trouble.

No argument. I actually know one who landed in a field because her
GPS batteries died. She flew over (or at least within a few miles of)
the airport at least half a dozen times and was never able to find it.
It was daylight, blue skies and puffy cu's.

Michael
Old January 14th 04, 10:23 PM
Blaine

First of all, thanks for all the replies. I really would like to teach
an instrument ground school course, but there just isn't a need around
here. I do have the ability and depth of knowledge to teach one
however. I wouldn't mind it at all.

Me and that guy are gonna fly some more instruments in a few days, so
I'm looking forward to that. I've decided I'm just going to bite the
bullet and spend the money to fly IFR. It's the only way I'm going to
improve my actual IFR skills in the air. Using a sim just doesn't
always cut it.

As far as staying ahead of an airline captain...wow...there has to be
some interesting stories. Talk about an "advanced" student.... haha