Is an IPC a substitute for 6 approaches?

Old August 31st 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill Zaleski

Default Is an IPC a substitute for 6 approaches?

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 23:29:53 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
wrote:

Years ago, before the USGPO decided that the pages were
printed on solid gold, I subscribed to the FARs. It took 4
4 inch ring binders for parts 61 and 91, there were at least
a dozen pages of comments for each regulation...why it was
needed, what it meant and what the NPRM comments had said
and any revision made in response. Just reading a two or
three sentence regulation is only a small part of the law.

Yup, the preamble usually tells more about the intent than the
finished product ever could. I have all of them via ATP IA software.
Old August 31st 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

Here is more from the FAA
http://www.faa.gov/safety/programs_i...dia/PART08.doc

Scroll to para 8.4.1.10

It says...

8.4.1.10 PILOT CURRENCY: IFR OPERATIONS
(a) No person may act as PIC under IFR, nor in IMC, unless he or she has, within the past 6 calendar months—
(1) Logged at least 6 hours of instrument flight time including at least 3 hours in flight in the category of aircraft; and
(2) Completed at least 6 instrument approaches.
(b) A pilot who has completed an instrument competency check with an authorised representative of the Authority retains currency for IFR operations for 6 calendar months following that check.

14 CFR: 61.57(c)

I note that it says "retains" and not "regains". If instrument currency
is lost prior to an ICC (now called IPC, no?), "retains" would not be
sufficient. "Regains" would be necessary.

I also note they refer to 61.57(c), and not (d), which involves the IPC.

Years ago, before the USGPO decided that the pages were
printed on solid gold, I subscribed to the FARs. It took 4
4 inch ring binders for parts 61 and 91, there were at least
a dozen pages of comments for each regulation...why it was
needed, what it meant and what the NPRM comments had said
and any revision made in response. Just reading a two or
three sentence regulation is only a small part of the law.

Alas, it's the part we're supposed to follow. Is this "full FAR" thing
available online?

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 31st 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Somewhere on-line, the FAA has them all, just haven't found
it yet. I think I need to go to the Library of Congress
ands the Congressional Record, that's where it is all
published. I'll find it and post a link before 2012.

Old August 31st 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Follow what we say. An IPC [the name change did not change
the application, just the required content, the ICC could be
one approach]. Look in the Congressional Record or in the
FAA sites archives.
et...

Old August 31st 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...l=%2Findex.tpl

Old August 31st 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

That link just leads back to the FAA website, it does not
include the annotated or NPRM discussion.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
in message
k.net...

Old August 31st 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

That link just leads back to the FAA website, it does not
include the annotated or NPRM discussion.

It's a link to the Code of Federal Regulations.

Old August 31st 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Yep, select chapter 14 and it goes to the FAA site
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
in message
k.net...

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

Old August 31st 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

Yep, select chapter 14 and it goes to the FAA site

When I select "Title 14 - Aeronautics and Space" it just brings up the
various Parts of Title 14 on the GPO site.

Old August 31st 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Allen[_1_]

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
All that is required is for the pilot to record the name of
the safety pilot, no endorsement is required, not even the
certificate number.

But after 12 months from the first day you were current [six
months after currency lapsed] you must have an IPC.
So, after 12 months, with no approaches in the mean time, an
IPC makes you current.

61.57 says an IPC makes you current, it does not say an IPC
and 6 approaches.

"Allen" wrote in message

| "Roy Smith" wrote in message
| It works the other way too. Let's say you've only got
3 approaches
| logged in the last 6 months and come to me for an IPC.
We fly 3 more
| approaches, I decide that you suck at instruments and
decline to sign
| you off for an IPC.
|
| You're now legally current anyway, by virtue of having
flown 6
| approaches.
|
| Not if the approaches were flown in VMC and you do not
sign as safety
| pilot.
|
| There's no such thing as "sign as safety pilot".
|
| Whether you write or he writes it your name will be in his
logbook.

I know that Jim, it was a poor choice of words on my part. I was just
trying to point out that if the pilot who was declined the IPC logged the
three approaches to return to currency and then craters in the instructors
name will be in the logbook and will be sought out for questioning.

Allen