Ready to Resume an Old Project

Old March 23rd 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
David[_2_]

Default Ready to Resume an Old Project

I started on a Marquart Charger back in the mid '90s. I put it into
storage after building some wing ribs and some fittings. Circumstances
have changed and I'm ready to start building again. I know that how to
build a Charger hasn't changed, but the laws about homebuilts may well
have. I've not been to any EAA chapter meetings for a long time,
although I'll start that again soon, too.

Anyway, gents, jog my memory about where I can go to check on what the
FAA expects to see regarding homebuilding.

Propulsion is another thing that I've thought about over the last few
years. I'll probably put in a O-320/360, but I was wondering about how
successful auto conversion were in that power range.

Thanks and best regards,

Dave Kuechenmeister
Lawrenceville, GA

Old March 24th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
I started on a Marquart Charger back in the mid '90s. I put it into
storage after building some wing ribs and some fittings. Circumstances
have changed and I'm ready to start building again. I know that how to
build a Charger hasn't changed, but the laws about homebuilts may well
have. I've not been to any EAA chapter meetings for a long time,
although I'll start that again soon, too.

Anyway, gents, jog my memory about where I can go to check on what the
FAA expects to see regarding homebuilding.

www.eaa.org.

In today's world, your only required inspection is at the end of the build.
This can be done by a Designated Airworthiness Representitive (DAR), who you
will have to hire. Alternately, in the Atlanta area, there is a very, very
small chance the FAA will provide an inspector. Either way, the inspector
or DAR will want you to demonstrate that the aircraft is amateur built
through some type of log, and will want to thoroughly check the paperwork
before issuing you a certificate. They may (or may not) check the airframe
and systems for build quality and conformance to plans.

Propulsion is another thing that I've thought about over the last few
years. I'll probably put in a O-320/360, but I was wondering about how
successful auto conversion were in that power range.

Eggenfeller is making inroads with his Subaru conversions, but they cost
just as much as Lycomings. Otherwise, you're probably looking at something
that is pretty much a homebrewed engine/drivetrain, and it is a LOT of work
developing a one-off system into a reliable powerplant for aircraft...

By the way, there is a very good EAA chapter in your area - www.eaa690.org.

Thanks and best regards,

Dave Kuechenmeister
Lawrenceville, GA

Kyle Boatright
Marietta, GA

Old March 24th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

In today's world, your only required inspection is at the end of the
build. This can be done by a Designated Airworthiness Representitive
(DAR), who you will have to hire. Alternately, in the Atlanta area, there
is a very, very small chance the FAA will provide an inspector.

It is considered a plus (by inspectors) to have your building logs signed by
EAA technical advisors, before closing up critical, non inspectable areas,
like wings, and such. Your EAA chapters will have information about the
technical advisor program.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 24th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
David[_2_]

On Mar 23, 11:06 pm, Richard Riley wrote:
On 23 Mar 2007 06:44:39 -0700, "David" wrote:

I started on a Marquart Charger back in the mid '90s. I put it into
storage after building some wing ribs and some fittings. Circumstances
have changed and I'm ready to start building again. I know that how to
build a Charger hasn't changed, but the laws about homebuilts may well
have. I've not been to any EAA chapter meetings for a long time,
although I'll start that again soon, too.

Anyway, gents, jog my memory about where I can go to check on what the
FAA expects to see regarding homebuilding.

Propulsion is another thing that I've thought about over the last few
years. I'll probably put in a O-320/360, but I was wondering about how
successful auto conversion were in that power range.

Thanks and best regards,

Dave Kuechenmeister
Lawrenceville, GA

By coincidence, I had a nice talk with Ed this morning out at Flabob.

I have never talked Ed. I should try hard to find him on my next trip
to SOCAL.

There was, and maybe still is, a very experienced builder out here.
The guy's name is John Matthews and he has built several Chargers. I
hung around him a lot when I was starting the project, but not so much
after I had to suspend work. It pleases me to find out that Ed is
still with us, and I'd be just as thrilled to find out that John is,
too.

As far as the EAA Chapter recommendation from Kyle, I was a member of
that chapter back before they moved into their 'new' hangar. I guess
it's about 10 years old by now. It won't be any trouble to renew
acquaintances and membership up there.

Looks like all I need to do is continue to take lots of photos. I
wonder how DARs feel about having a CD or DVD handed to them, instead
of a paper log, now that the technology to do so is so much more
available? Wait, I can answer that. The new guys probably love it, the
old guys probably hate it.

Thanks guys --- Kyle, if you belong to Chapter 690, perhaps I'll see
you up there this summer.

Old March 24th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On 24 Mar 2007 06:41:58 -0700, "David" wrote:

Looks like all I need to do is continue to take lots of photos. I
wonder how DARs feel about having a CD or DVD handed to them, instead
of a paper log, now that the technology to do so is so much more
available? Wait, I can answer that. The new guys probably love it, the
old guys probably hate it.

"Handed," no. "Shown," yes. Can't count on the DAR having a laptop along, so
unless you want to wait until the guy goes home, views the pictures, and makes
another appointment to see you, you'd best have a system right there-and-then to
show the pictures on the disk.

Guy here in Seattle had a web cam in his shop, saving an image every 15 minutes.
He just strung that together into an animation. Fun to watch, and the inspector
had absolutely no doubt that he'd built the airplane.

Ron Wanttaja
Old March 24th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
David[_2_]

On Mar 24, 12:13 pm, Ron Wanttaja wrote:
[...]

I love the webcam idea. I'll just have to edit out all the itching and
scratching.

Thanks,
Dave

Old March 24th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jls

"David" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I have heard of this man. His name spread far and wide, but I regret
to tell you he has passed on. I went to Atlanta, near Spaghetti
Junction, a few years ago to look at a Marquart project, and the owner
told us John had died. The man who went with me was also a Marquart
builder, who knew John Matthews and thought the world of him. IIRC,
it was John Matthews who took him for a ride in a Marquart and
convinced him to build one, which he did.

Old March 28th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack

("David" wrote)
Guy here in Seattle had a web cam in his shop, saving an image every 15
minutes. He just strung that together into an animation. Fun to watch,
and the inspector had absolutely no doubt that he'd built the airplane.

I love the webcam idea. I'll just have to edit out all the itching and
scratching.

"I need gopher-chucks!"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240468/
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (2002)

"Most of the archive footage appears to be from Hu hao shuang xing (1977).
Actors were digitally inserted into scenes from the original film."

Also Known As:
Foo hok seung ying (Hong Kong: Cantonese title)
The Savage Killers (USA)
Tiger & Crane Fists (Philippines: English title)

I liked this little gem, even though it made many critics' worst movie list
....of all time!

Montblack ...mom already has claim to "Bette" :-)