the trend is............

Old October 23rd 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

Default the trend is............

On Oct 23, 5:41*pm, jcarlyle wrote:
Sorry you UK guys and gals are so deprived. We colonials would be
happy to provide you with an unlimited assortment of sand grains,
pebbles, rocks and boulders - just pay the shipping!

Last time I visited the beach at St Andrews (yes, slap bang next to
the Old Course!) there were more than enough British grains of sand to
satisfy anyone! Since there are also a number of places in the
Highlands where boulders & stones seem to breed I'll have to decline
your kind offer.

Old October 23rd 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_3_]

At 12:52 23 October 2008, Cats wrote:
On Oct 23, 10:07=A0am, Bruce wrote:
You had a pebble? Sheer luxury!

Cats wrote:
On Oct 22, 9:51 pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 06:13:29 -0700, Cats wrote:
On Oct 22, 8:45 am, "Welsh Druid" wrote:
On Oct 19, 4:56 pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
I know places where you can winch straight into wave....
I know a place where you can catapult ( bungee) launch straight

into
wave. I just checked my log book and there were 17 occasions when

=
did
this ( Olympia 2b, Dart 17r and Kestrel 19)| - =A04 of these were

cl=
imbs
above gold height, best being 18500ft above launch. =A0Now thats

the=
way
to go !!!!!
Next of all someone will know where they could launch from a kerb
straight into wave and do a Diamond height in a Primary Glider!
Luxury! We used to dream of having a kerb when I were a lad...

We only had a small pebble.

(Sorry this is a UK thing!)-

Thinking about it it was a grain of sand!

A grain of sand, you lucky lucky b*****d, all we had was a molecule with a
split atom :-)

Old October 23rd 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

A grain of sand, you lucky lucky b*****d, all we had was a molecule with a
split atom :-)

"You programmed using zeros and ones?". I only had zeros". Dilbert
Old October 24th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Cats" wrote in message

Last time I visited the beach at St Andrews (yes, slap bang next to
the Old Course!) there were more than enough British grains of sand to
satisfy anyone! Since there are also a number of places in the
Highlands where boulders & stones seem to breed I'll have to decline
your kind offer.

Okay, I guess there's some confusion here. So you Brits really do have
enough pebbles and stones. What's apparent, though, is that your boulder
breeding program lacks foresight, direction and probably spirit. As a
professional rock breeding therapist, I may be able to help motivate your
rocks to stay on top of each other after mating. Over time, often lots of
time, this can result in rather large mountains, such as the ones we have in
abundance here at Minden, NV (home of Soaring NV).

If you send a 1st class round trip ticket, I'll come watch your rocks breed
and make sure they are doing it correctly. Failing that, I invite you to
visit Minden and see for yourself what a proper X-rated rock orgy really
does look like.

bumper (ex-brit)
"Sex Rocks Inc."
QV and MKII
Minden, NV
zz

Old October 24th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Welsh Druid

"bumper" wrote in message

. Failing that, I invite you to visit Minden and see for yourself what a
proper X-rated rock orgy really does look like.

bumper (ex-brit)
"Sex Rocks Inc."
QV and MKII
Minden, NV
zz

AAH - but can you bungee launch a sailplane off them ??

DB

Old October 24th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

I've instituted a fuel saving program on my '93 Grand Caravan. It is
based on weight reduction as various rusty parts fall off.

At 17:29 21 October 2008, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Jim White wrote:
At 14:46 21 October 2008, Eric Greenwell wrote:

It does save me about 10 gallons
of auto fuel when I fly, because I can fly from the local airport
instead of driving to the nearest gliderport.

jeez Eric, what do you drive? I get over 400 miles out of 10 gallons

of
fuel in my car! But I am glad that you are saving the planet. That

must
be
masses of CO2 per launch saved.

My old Dodge Grand Caravan gets about 20 mpg (@ 60 mph) when towing my
2400 pound Cobra trailer. If I really had to fly from Ephrata, the
closest place with a tow, I'd probably leave the glider there most of
the time during the season and drive up in my 2002 Camry; however, even
with it's 4 cylinder engine, it won't get 40 mpg at 60-70 mph.

I am looking forward to the plug-in hybrids coming the next year or two,

or even an electric car.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at

www.motorglider.org

Old October 25th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_3_]

At 18:45 24 October 2008, Nyal Williams wrote:
I've instituted a fuel saving program on my '93 Grand Caravan. It is
based on weight reduction as various rusty parts fall off.

A caravan, pure luxury, all we had was a trailer tent with a rip in the
top.