Seeking tech info on LX7007

Old February 3rd 21, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Default Seeking tech info on LX7007

I am trying to install an old LX7007 Pro IGC vario/computer in a 2-seat
glider. I bought a complete used package including the 2 units in front
and 2 in rear and all the cabling. But I am lacking some useful
information that I hope somebody here on RAS could help me with.

After this model was made, the company split into two, and I cannot find
any mention of this model on the web site of either company. No
manuals, no software, no data, no firmware, zip, nada - it's been
"canceled". If I was in the market for a new glide computer, that track
record would raise red flags for me. You can get all the support you
want for a Cambridge unit that is twice as old. But I got a deal on
this old one and I hope it will work for a while.

So here are some questions I couldn't crack from the info in the manuals
I have. Perhaps there is information online from the companies after
all, if so, please tell me where?

There are at least 4 serial (RS232) ports on the main unit, and that's
not counting the RS485 bus. "PC" (doubles as "Colibri/LX20"), "PDA",
"IGC" and "User". How do they differ in functionality? Which one
should I use to connect an e-reader running Tophat (based on XCsoar) if,
besides basic GPS location data flowing from he LX, I want functionality
such as uploading tasks from Tophat to the LX, and downloading flight
logs from the LX into the e-reader?

The "PDA" port (only) also has a 5V power supply line, to power a PDA.
How much current can be sourced from it? My Nook might draw as much as
half an amp. Is that safe for the LX?

There is very little info on the slave (rear seat) units in the main
manual. Does anybody have a manual specifically for the slave units?

In the system I got, the main unit is an LX7007 Pro IGC, and the slave
unit is an LX7000 Pro IGC. Are there incompatibilities between them?

The slave "analog" unit is fed an RS485 cable (power and data) from the
front-seat unit, and that then daisy chains to the slave digital unit.
But that latter cable is non-standard, DB9 to DB15. Anybody got the
wiring diagram for that cable? What extra functionality do those extra
pins add? In the cables I got there seems to be another "PC port"
dangling from it (the little round 5-pin connector).

The flight logs from the LX7007 are written to its SD card as .LXN
files, not .IGC. (So much for standards!) SeeYou can convert those,
but then they are no longer "IGC secure" (for badges and records). I
have seen mentioned somewhere that later versions of the LX7007 firmware
switched to .IGC files. Is that correct? Which version of the firmware
does that, and how can I get it? If I can't get that, can I send the
..LXN files to the SSA badge dude?

Can anybody send me a copy of the "LXe" PC software that originally came
with the LX? Are versions of this software and versions of the hardware
forwards and backwards compatible? Is it worth having?

The airports and airspace databases need updates over time to stay
accurate. Have there been updates? How can I get something newer than
what's stored in it now? If I can't, can I override the old info for
specific airports with info I manually put into my turnpoints file?

Thanks for any info.
Old February 3rd 21, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 2/3/21 8:04 AM, Moshe Braner wrote:

Can anybody send me a copy of the "LXe" PC software that originally came
with the LX? Are versions of this software and versions of the hardware
forwards and backwards compatible?Â* Is it worth having?

The airports and airspace databases need updates over time to stay
accurate.Â* Have there been updates?Â* How can I get something newer than
what's stored in it now?Â* If I can't, can I override the old info for
specific airports with info I manually put into my turnpoints file?

Thanks for any info.

I was just searching for LXe to try to support an old Colibri logger,
and found it on the LXNavigation website. Version 3.5.1.1

Airports and Airpace database was not there, but found a 2014 version on
an old computer. I can email that to you.

LXe and the database actually installed OK on w Win10 computer, but
complained about not finding any COMM ports. Those can be added
manually on Win10. haven't tried accessing the logger yet, but it may
actually still be usable on Win10.

Dave
Old February 3rd 21, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Moshe,

I probably have a saved LX7007 Pro IGC manual and can answer most of your questions below. I'd rather talk to you over the phone (less work). Call me any time.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_______________________

Old February 3rd 21, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Here’s the manual.

https://pngc.co.uk/documents/instrum...7007Manual.pdf

Unfortunately, LxNavigation seems to have revamped their website recently. Pretty yes, but terrible to navigate and they seem to have eliminated all the links to legacy manuals.
Old February 4th 21, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 2/3/2021 5:02 PM, wrote:
Here’s the manual.

https://pngc.co.uk/documents/instrum...7007Manual.pdf

Unfortunately, LxNavigation seems to have revamped their website recently. Pretty yes, but terrible to navigate and they seem to have eliminated all the links to legacy manuals.

Dave Kinsell kindly pointed me to this page, which does have *some*
software and data offered for their "legacy" devices:
https://www.lxnavigation.com/support...legacy-devices
- note that there are 3 "tabs" at the top, in faint gray font:
Software, Manuals, and Databases.

Why are their "databases" executable files I don't know.
Old February 4th 21, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Moshe,

It was nice talking with you yesterday.

The database files for LXe are executable programs because they are installation files. You need to run one to install it after installing LXe.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_____________________________

Old February 4th 21, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks. I withdraw my comment. Actually, when I went back into the new site, I was able to navigate it. I guess I previously was confused or they hadn’t added those files yet. I see they were all added mid-December.
Old February 4th 21, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 2/3/2021 5:02 PM, wrote:
Here’s the manual.

https://pngc.co.uk/documents/instrum...7007Manual.pdf

Unfortunately, LxNavigation seems to have revamped their website recently. Pretty yes, but terrible to navigate and they seem to have eliminated all the links to legacy manuals.

Dave Kinsell kindly pointed me to this page, which does have *some*
software and data offered for their "legacy" devices:
https://www.lxnavigation.com/support...legacy-devices
- note that there are 3 "tabs" at the top, in faint gray font:
Software, Manuals, and Databases.

Why are their "databases" executable files I don't know.

Well that's one way to do it, and not my preferred way. A data file
should be a data file. They can tell you where to copy it to. Or have
the program (LXe) ask you to point to the current file location, and
then it can copy it to wherever it wants, add it into its list of what's
there, etc.

Moreover, a data file should be uploadable into the device via its SD
card slot, without using an app such as LXe. I guess this whole setup
was started before they added an SD card slot to the last versins of the
device. Back then EVERYTHING was done via serial cables and helper
apps. Ah, the bad old days...

I did manage to upload my turnpoints file into the device without LXe.
Did have to use SeeYou to convert the .cup file to a .da4 file, put that
on the SD card and then used the device menus to import it. Wish they'd
accepted the .cup format as is.

All the files imported and exported by this device (including the flight
logs, pilots info, saved settings...) are in proprietary binary formats.
Thus you can't examine or edit them "manually" (in a text editor),
like you can with .cup files for example, or XCsoar configuration files.
I know, I shouldn't complain about this device which is about 15 years
old, but that seems like yesterday.
Old February 6th 21, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

To answer one of my own questions:

The LX7000 second-seat DIGITAL slave unit cable pinout:
It's a DB15 wired to a DB9 RS485. The (undocumented?) DB15 pinout is
similar to that of the ANALOG main unit (and also somewhat similar to
the main digital unit):
1,2,9 = ground shield
7,8,15 = +12V (red and white)
5,12 = RS485 data bus (black & yellow)
11,3 = serial communications - mine came with these pins wired to a
5-pin round "PC port" connector, not clear what functionality does this
port offer.

Curious whether any other of the 15 pins are active in this unit, e.g.,
SC and VP switches, speaker output?
Old February 8th 21, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Has anybody needed to replace the internal battery for the GPS? What
type of battery is it?

The GPS battery presumably runs the real time clock in the GPS module.
If this battery fails, when you start up the device the GPS screen will
not show the correct time of day until signals from the GPS satellites
are received. Also the GPS screen will not show the previous lat/lon
while it searches for the current location. And it will probably take
longer than normal to acquire a GPS location fix.

This is distinct from the internal coin battery for the IGC security,
which presumably also powers the memory that stores the user settings.

It seems that on my unit BOTH batteries need replacement. Does that
make sense (about 11 years since factory)?

Seeking Info: Winching in Cold Wx Andrew Corrigan[_2_] Soaring 1 February 22nd 13 11:36 PM
Seeking Northrop Gamma info Dillon Restoration 3 December 12th 05 05:45 AM
Seeking V2C info Ted Wagner Soaring 0 September 2nd 05 01:55 AM
GPSMAP 296 - a bit of info from tech support ... Cockpit Colin Piloting 1 March 26th 04 08:36 PM
seeking info on self etching primer gromit Restoration 1 July 11th 03 01:02 AM