How do I find an old accident report?

Old December 19th 05, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default How do I find an old accident report?

My uncle was killed in aircraft accident in WWII, 1940 something. Is it
possible to get the accident report on the crash? I know very little about the
crash. He was flying out of Denver for a feeder airline. He was not flying he
was the stew. He was a pilot working his was up. They crash into the Rockies.
The account I heard was the bean went askew and directed them in to the
mountain.

I don't know if it is possible to get accident report that old. If it is what
information do I need?

George
Old December 19th 05, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I just took a few classes on the history of aviation. I think that this is
before the FAA existed. I don't think you could find anything, but I could
be wrong.

--
John Huthmaker

http://www.cogentnetworking.com

Old December 19th 05, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"George" wrote in message

My uncle was killed in aircraft accident in WWII, 1940 something.

I don't know if it is possible to get accident report that old. If it is
what
information do I need?

I think 1940 would be old Department of Commerce stuff. If such records
still exist, they'd likely be archived somewhere. I'd start by calling the
FAA, and be prepared for a long and winding road.

Old December 19th 05, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"George" wrote in message

You might also start a parallel search in the Denver newspapers of the time
to acquire more definitive data.

Old December 19th 05, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You gave me an idea, I'll Google on his name and see what turns up/

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:02:42 -0500, "John Gaquin"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message

You might also start a parallel search in the Denver newspapers of the time
to acquire more definitive data.

George

If you request flight following, can you "slip the surly bonds of earth"?
Old December 19th 05, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Search the NTSB and FAA web sites, they became the holder of
old accident data.

The beam or Adcock Range was a four course range on low
frequency radio. The pilot had to follow detailed procedures
to locate their position and the range was flown by listen
to a continuous Morse code tone of A .- and N -. There were
some visual display indicators, but the tone signs were the
most common method.
The radio frequencies used were subject to many errors in
alignment, static and even being jammed.

http://www.williamson-labs.com/480_stpj.htm

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182182-1.html

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old December 20th 05, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

But there are prior reports from CAA and such, try
www.firstgov.gov
Library of Congress, ask your Congressman, it is something
they do do, call the Colorado Historical Society.

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year

some support

Old December 20th 05, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Military crashes are not part of the FAA responsibility. I suggest you
call your congressman's office. They have a researcher that should be
able to tell you where to search the military records.