inReach website not updating track automatically

Old September 19th 13, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default inReach website not updating track automatically

I flew Monday and Wednesday this week. Both times, my wife reported the
flight track on the inReach website did not update automatically;
instead, she had to refresh the page each time. It added each point
automatically for my previous flights in August, which I believe is
expected operation.

Have others noticed this? It's not a big problem, now that she knows it
can happen, but it caused her some consternation initially. Other than
this issue, she likes it better than Spot because it has the speed and
altitude, and dots instead of big bootprints for the flight track.

email me)

Old September 19th 13, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:33:27 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I flew Monday and Wednesday this week. Both times, my wife reported the flight track on the inReach website did not update automatically; instead, she had to refresh the page each time. It added each point automatically for my previous flights in August, which I believe is expected operation. Have others noticed this? It's not a big problem, now that she knows it can happen, but it caused her some consternation initially. Other than this issue, she likes it better than Spot because it has the speed and altitude, and dots instead of big bootprints for the flight track. -- Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)

Hi Eric,

I asked my wife if she noticed the same issue as Jan. She observed that the trace updated automatically in "clumps". It would be nice if it were more of a streaming thing. She much prefers it to my old spot, as it gives her real time information of my location, altitude and speed. The time is also on the fix and there seems to be little delay. The Spot could be easily 20 minutes behind. The In Reach should be much better for the "show and tell" at competitions.
DLB

Old September 23rd 13, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I am having the same software problem. I use Apple iPhone as well as a Microsoft Surface. Last Saturday Jim flew 12 hours in wave and thermals. Both devices had same difficulties. The InReach default seems to be "all time" and a really tight zoom which is ludicrous for an aviation plan. I get the current blue arrow, then expand the view (which is DOWN not up on the iPhone ) with SINGLE taps on the left hand side scale bar. ( I don't use the typical pinch/push on the map as it "throws" the map to unknown places!)

Heres my "workaround." I click on the Map Filter, then use the "Date &Time Range" pull down of "most recent track." Unfortunately, it doesn't refresh automatically (factory rep says they are working on it). I leave the (desired) scale, change the filter pull down to "all time," let it update the page, then change the pull down filter back to "most recent track." It will be updated. Hope they get this fixed soon.

I do like to see Jim's altitude. When you see 2000 AGL on a wave mission it's time to hook up the trailer. The speed seems to be instantaneous so it could be slow thermaling or parked in the wave climbing. You can get a overall speed from the top left hand "all users" tab.
Jackie
Old September 23rd 13, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote, On 9/23/2013 10:06 AM:
[...]

I'm glad to hear they are working on it. I wish it was possible to give
a link to my page with default settings that let an inexperienced user
watch the flight with no clicking at, so I could send it to non-gliding
friends and relatives without any explanation.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl