Pay out winch launch to 2500ft agl..

Old May 21st 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Default Pay out winch launch to 2500ft agl..

Here's a link to a video of us doing a 2500ft launch at the Alvord
Desert, Oregon, USA. We go to this 8X15 mile dry lake in SE Oregon
every July. The lake bed is at 4000msl and Steens Mountain rises out
of the western edge to 10,000ft msl.

Gary Boggs

Old May 21st 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gilbert Smith

WAVEGURU wrote:

Here's a link to a video of us doing a 2500ft launch at the Alvord
Desert, Oregon, USA. We go to this 8X15 mile dry lake in SE Oregon
every July. The lake bed is at 4000msl and Steens Mountain rises out
of the western edge to 10,000ft msl.

Gary Boggs

I can't remember the last time I saw a glider with STRUTS !!
And was that a METAL SKIN ??
Did you borrow it from the local museum ?
Old May 22nd 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Gary Boggs

I can't remember the last time I saw a glider with STRUTS !!
And was that a METAL SKIN ??
Did you borrow it from the local museum ?

Gilbert... you're killing me I'm laughing so hard..

Schweizer 2-33, standard trainer in the US for many years (over 30?).. cheap
to get, cheap to maintain and easy on the students..
Solo students can transition quickly into the Schweizer 1-26 for solo
flying, cheap to get, cheap to maintain, and easy on the students..

Every club should have two or 3 for ab-initio training.. then we transition
them into the Grob 103 and LS4.

Great Soaring Gary..

BT

Old May 22nd 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

I can't remember the last time I saw a glider with STRUTS !!
And was that a METAL SKIN ??
Did you borrow it from the local museum ?

Have a look in the achievements section of Soaring mag. Most of the gliders
in the US that people learn to fly in are 2-33s. Whoooaaa...what a
concept...you don't need glass to solo...who'd a thunk it.

Old May 22nd 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Wright

"WAVEGURU" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's a link to a video of us doing a 2500ft launch at the Alvord
Desert, Oregon, USA. We go to this 8X15 mile dry lake in SE Oregon
every July. The lake bed is at 4000msl and Steens Mountain rises out
of the western edge to 10,000ft msl.

Gary Boggs

That's nuthin'. Some time back in the 60s I had a 'payout' launch in an
Olympia 463 to 2800ft in a 40kt wind. I did a vertical circuit afterwards as
turning down wind didn't seem a good idea. It was a winch which I had
designed as well which made it even better!

Alistair Wright
Melrose Scotland

Old May 23rd 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"Alistair Wright" wrote in message

That's nuthin'. Some time back in the 60s I had a 'payout' launch in an
Olympia 463 to 2800ft in a 40kt wind. I did a vertical circuit afterwards as
turning down wind didn't seem a good idea.

I guess nobody else wants to sound dumb, so I guess I will have to ask;
what the hell is a vertical circuit? I guess you mean no circuit at all?

When you touched down, was your groundspeed more or less than zero?

Vaughn

Old May 23rd 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alistair Wright

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Alistair Wright" wrote in message

That's nuthin'. Some time back in the 60s I had a 'payout' launch in an
Olympia 463 to 2800ft in a 40kt wind. I did a vertical circuit afterwards
as turning down wind didn't seem a good idea.

I guess nobody else wants to sound dumb, so I guess I will have to
ask; what the hell is a vertical circuit? I guess you mean no circuit at
all?

When you touched down, was your groundspeed more or less than zero?

Vaughn

After release I slowed down to 38kts and was blown slowly backwards over the
launch point. When I judged I was far enough back I descended at about 70Kts
and landed with full brake. I think the trip took about 7 minutes and I
never turned. I think flying downwind in a gale like that would have made
getting the pattern right impossible. I guess the upper air speed was in
excess of 60kts. The airfield I was flying from was small and surrounded by
housing (Meir -- Stoke on Trent) so getting it wrong would not have been too
good.

Alistair Wright

Old June 5th 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Worden

OK, I'll ask. What's a "Pay out winch launch"? You mentioned a truck... the
speck on the ground seems to be moving... I'd call that an auto-tow.

oups.com...

Old June 5th 07, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

Roger Worden wrote:
OK, I'll ask. What's a "Pay out winch launch"? You mentioned a truck... the
speck on the ground seems to be moving... I'd call that an auto-tow.

It's a truck with a reel of rope. The tow starts with a short length of
rope out, and additional rope is payed with a controlled amount of
tension as the launch progresses, then reeled in after release. This is
pretty commonly used with hang gliders, pretty rare for traditional
gliders. I'm not sure what the advantages are, though it does seem to
minimize the amount of time needed to launch off a shared use runway...

Marc

oups.com...