Blanik Sport Canopy

Old April 11th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default Blanik Sport Canopy

I'm sure it's been posted here before, but I just found this video of
a Blanik participating in a skydiving stunt and it made me wonder
about flying Blaniks with the 'sport canopy' mod as in this video.
Anyone know the specific performance penalties or of any aerodynamic
quirks from this arrangement? Off hand it seems like it would be fun
to occasionally 'go topless' in the ole Blanik at the club from time
to time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GQjk...eature=related

Paul Hanson
Old April 11th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

sisu1a wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GQjk...eature=related

There's more of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVQRlJ0lF0I

Can't answer your question, though.
Old April 11th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus

We flew also without the canopy for a flight of 2 hours. The Blanik
L-13 flies very well even without its canopy.
We were expecting a lot of wind inside the cockpit but we had
just ...no wind inside.
The airflow is kept outside the cabin.

The only anomaly we found was that the variometer was less accurate.

Cheers,
Bruno

Old April 11th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bennett

No real noticable quirks just a bit windy and lots of fun.

no mod - just take the canopy off

K1

Old April 11th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

"sisu1a" wrote in message

I'm sure it's been posted here before, but I just found this video of
a Blanik participating in a skydiving stunt and it made me wonder
about flying Blaniks with the 'sport canopy' mod as in this video.
Anyone know the specific performance penalties or of any aerodynamic
quirks from this arrangement? Off hand it seems like it would be fun
to occasionally 'go topless' in the ole Blanik at the club from time
to time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GQjk...eature=related

Paul Hanson

Anyone have W&B number differences for flight without canopy?

Old April 11th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I flew one this way 10 years ago in NZ with a documentary camera guy
in the front seat. He said there was absolutely no wind in the front
seat and that he could have heard me if I wispered. However, in the
back seat there was an alarming amount of turbulance buffeting me
about the head. I could not hear my passenger unless he turned and
shouted at me. I wouldn't do it again without helmet and goggles for
the back seat pilot. On an amusing note, in the video, the windstorm
in the back made my hair gyrate around atop my head in an unreal
spastic manner that makes me look like a possesed maniac.

Or perhaps I should say a more possesed maniac.

MM

Old April 12th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 11, 3:30*pm, wrote:
[...]

Paul Hanson- Hide quoted text -

I know that a Speed Astir flies just fine without the canopy. DAMHIK
Old April 12th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Apr 11, 5:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

Matt, do you have that video in a format you could share? I'd think
some of us would love to see that :-)

Pete
Old April 12th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 11, 9:51*pm, vontresc wrote:
On Apr 11, 5:30 pm, wrote:

[...]

Pete- Hide quoted text -

You can see it when you come to get your K6 next weekend but I don't
have it web view-able as of yet.

MM
Old April 15th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John H. Campbell

MM, you had (long) hair at some point?