Accident? on 8-27-92

Old January 6th 06, 11:15 PM
Chris Wells Chris Wells is offline
Senior Member

Default Accident? on 8-27-92

I've got a video clip which shows a large, twin-engined plane, possible a cargo plane, taking off and immediately looping and crashing. It's taken from someone standing right at the edge of the runway, and the whole thing appears to happen right in front of the cameraman. It looks possibly faked. I've checked the NTSB database, and I can't find this accident.

The video has the date August 27, 1992 in the display. Was this an actual accident?

If someone can tell me how, I can upload the video somewhere...it's pretty interesting.

Last edited by Chris Wells : January 6th 06 at 11:48 PM.
Old January 7th 06, 02:56 AM
clipclip clipclip is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wells
I've got a video clip which shows a large, twin-engined plane, possible a cargo plane, taking off and immediately looping and crashing. It's taken from someone standing right at the edge of the runway, and the whole thing appears to happen right in front of the cameraman. It looks possibly faked. I've checked the NTSB database, and I can't find this accident.

The video has the date August 27, 1992 in the display. Was this an actual accident?

If someone can tell me how, I can upload the video somewhere...it's pretty interesting.
you might be looking at a tape of a caribou canadian air force transport plane at gimli, manitoba which IIRC, took off with its gust locks in place. it was being filmed because this was a test flight.

very true and very sad.

frank
Old January 7th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Chris Wells wrote:

If someone can tell me how, I can upload the video somewhere...it's
pretty interesting.

Contact Jay Honeck, a regular of the rec.aviation.piloting newsgroup at
(remove the capital letters - this is his email as
he includes it in his posts).

Jay has a whole page of aviation accident videos and, I would suspect, be
happy to host it for you.

--
Peter
Old January 7th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

clipclip wrote:

Chris Wells Wrote:
I've got a video clip which shows a large, twin-engined plane, possible
a cargo plane, taking off and immediately looping and crashing. It's
taken from someone standing right at the edge of the runway, and the
whole thing appears to happen right in front of the cameraman. It looks
possibly faked. I've checked the NTSB database, and I can't find this
accident.

The video has the date August 27, 1992 in the display. Was this an
actual accident?

If someone can tell me how, I can upload the video somewhere...it's
pretty interesting.

you might be looking at a tape of a caribou canadian air force
transport plane at gimli, manitoba which IIRC, took off with its gust
locks in place. it was being filmed because this was a test flight.

very true and very sad.

frank

Yes, this is true...the a/c (a Caribou) was being readied for
conversion to the Buffalo (they replace the recips with turboprop
engines and redesign the tail to a "T" tail (among likely other
changes).

The elevator gust lock 'clicks in' only when it's armed and the
elevator control is moved rearward to a certain point. I
understand from the writeup that I saw somewhere that the co-jo
was very inexperienced on type although the capt was very
experienced.

Apparently, the lock came on when the control was moved far
enough aft on T.O. then couldn't be released because of the panic
pressure of the co-jo trying to ram it forward. Sad indeed...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old January 7th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

http://www.putfile.com/

Old January 9th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...planecrash.wmv

Is that the video you are referring?

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com

Old January 9th 06, 03:00 PM

[quote=John Huthmaker]http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...planecrash.wmv

Is that the video you are referring?

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

That's the one. Very sad, I can't imagine what was going through the cameraman's head as he recorded it.
Old January 10th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

"John Huthmaker" wrote in news:cJlwf.509$ee6.132
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...planecrash.wmv

It is a De-haviland Caribou (CH5?) Used by the Royal Australian Air Force
from 1964 to date. Must be a good aircraft to last that long. Served in
Vietnam. I'd say " pilot error" for this crash. They have the capability
to land and take off from ploughed fields.

Neville MADDEN
Brisbane
Old January 10th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photoga...planecrash.wmv

It is a De-haviland Caribou (CH5?) Used by the Royal Australian Air Force
from 1964 to date. Must be a good aircraft to last that long. Served in
Vietnam. I'd say " pilot error" for this crash. They have the capability
to land and take off from ploughed fields.

Neville MADDEN
Brisbane

Took off with the 'gust locks' on...pilot error indeed...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)