SMALLL airplanes..

Old May 4th 04, 04:00 PM
BllFs6

Default SMALLL airplanes..

Hi all...

The discussion about aluminum vs composites and running across some stuff on
the hummel bird got me thinking...

What are the REALLY small homebuilts out there?

The hummel bird and tennie two - aluminum construction....

The Cri Cri - mostly aluminum?

KR1 - composite.....small, but is it REALLY small like the previous 2?

Is there a smallllllll rag and tube homebuilt?

A smallllll mostly wood homebuilt?

A smalllll canard of any type of construction? Quickie? Dragon Fly?

Any other ones/ideas?

Note that I am not talking so much about ultralights (which generally just dont
wiegh much)...I am talking smalllll one/.75 person airplanes that LOOK like
"real" airplanes...of course your definition may differ

take care

Blll
Old May 4th 04, 04:04 PM
Rich S.

"BllFs6" wrote in message
Is there a smallllllll rag and tube homebuilt?

A smallllll mostly wood homebuilt?

A smalllll canard of any type of construction? Quickie? Dragon Fly?

Here's one that qualifies for two of the three -
http://www.harbornet.com/folks/shankland/onyx.jpg

Power is a 12 hp Onan.

Rich S.

Old May 4th 04, 09:17 PM
Greg Reid

Check out http://corvaircruiser.com/ for a slick single-place
all-composite low-wing using a Corvair engine.

Greg
Old May 4th 04, 11:05 PM
Dan Thomas

Stealth Pilot wrote in message . ..
On 04 May 2004 15:00:09 GMT, (BllFs6) wrote:

Hi all...

The discussion about aluminum vs composites and running across some stuff on
the hummel bird got me thinking...

What are the REALLY small homebuilts out there?

snip

Is there a smallllllll rag and tube homebuilt?

cassutt racer
stits skybaby (in the eaa museum)
hegy's chuparosa

A smallllll mostly wood homebuilt?

Corby Starlet
Jodel D9
Druine Turbulent
Bruger Collibri

A smalllll canard of any type of construction? Quickie? Dragon Fly?

yeah the quickie

Any other ones/ideas?

the single high wing blue job that sits beside the stits skybaby in
the eaa museum. (it has a smaller span)

all the above are "real" aircraft with national registrations.

Note that I am not talking so much about ultralights (which generally just dont
wiegh much)...I am talking smalllll one/.75 person airplanes that LOOK like
"real" airplanes...of course your definition may differ

take care

Blll

I have here on my office wall a photo I took in the Tucson Air
Museum. The BumbleBee, built by Robert H. Starr, with an 85 HP (I
think) Continental. Wingspan 6'6", length 9'4", cruise 150 mph, max
180 mph, stall 75 kts (that's right, some speeds in mph and others in
knots). A tiny negative-stagger T-tailed biplane taildragger, which is
probably why it's in a museum instead of out scaring somebody. Plans
probably not available. It's short enough that it looks like it has
three wings, and the prop is nearly as long as the wings.
In the 50's a couple of guys built something called a Honeybee or
WeeBee or some similar name, an all-metal low-wing trike that was too
small to have a cockpit. The pilot laid on his belly atop the
fuselage. I don't know what sort of harness they used to keep him
there, nor what effect his body had on airflow over the tail. Most of
us aren't all that well streamlined.

Dan
Old May 7th 04, 10:07 AM
B2431

From: "Rich S."

Here's one that qualifies for two of the three -
http://www.harbornet.com/folks/shankland/onyx.jpg

Power is a 12 hp Onan.

Rich S.

Interesting design. Whatevet happened to it?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old May 7th 04, 03:14 PM
Rich S.

"B2431" wrote in message

Interesting design. Whatevet happened to it?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Plans are available for $90 U.S. (inc. postage) at
http://www.homebuilt.org/kits/littner/cp150.html. I don't know of anyone who
is - or has - built one in the U.S. I believe several have been built in
Europe including some with a composite fuselage.

Looks like it would be a good test bed for some of the new v-twin lawn
tractor motors or maybe a pair of those expensive turbojet model airplane
powerplants. )

Rich S.

Old May 7th 04, 05:28 PM
Richard Lamb

"Rich S." wrote:

"B2431" wrote in message

Interesting design. Whatevet happened to it?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Plans are available for $90 U.S. (inc. postage) at
http://www.homebuilt.org/kits/littner/cp150.html. I don't know of anyone who
is - or has - built one in the U.S. I believe several have been built in
Europe including some with a composite fuselage.

Looks like it would be a good test bed for some of the new v-twin lawn
tractor motors or maybe a pair of those expensive turbojet model airplane
powerplants. )

Rich S.

One of my neighbors is into RC big time.
He has two tiny turbine engines of about 50 pounds thrust each.
They turn something like 100 THOUSHAND RPM (with all the harmonics).
These are the absolute coolest toys ever.
Microprocessor controlled starter, even.

I would LOVE to hang those screamers on my parasol for a high speed
pass down the runway...

First Jet Parasol in history!

Richard Lamb