A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fabric covering for 2-33

Old August 25th 17, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Fabric covering for 2-33

I'm looking to find anyone who has done any work toward getting an approval for using Oratex on a 2-33. With the FAA field approval program gone (not officially but everything must go through engineering now) & a DER being very expensive, I'm trying to find anyone who has used the Oratex fabric process.
Old August 25th 17, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Never heard of that before, usually Ceconite. Maybe use a "generic name" for he material instead of a brand name? I "believe" most modern coverings like this are just a Dacron fiber. Does the brand name matter?
Knowing the FAA. It matters.
Old August 25th 17, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Oratex is a completely new fabric covering system. Not yet FAA approved for certified aircraft (as far as I know) but it is getting rave reviews by Experimental builders.

Old August 25th 17, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Dennis- Check the homebuilders forums. Lots of reviews and articles in Kitplanes magazine and others.

Old August 26th 17, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Visit their website at www.betteraircraftfabric.com. It is made in Germany and has EASA and Transport Canada approvals. They indicate there are US STCs .There is contact info for questions. It's neat stuff. It comes colored so you just glue it on, shrink it and go fly.
Old August 26th 17, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

Oratex also is about 30% of the weight of legacy coverings. Who doesn't need to lose a few pounds on their 2-33s?
Old August 28th 17, 07:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 2:28:17 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I'm looking to find anyone who has done any work toward getting an approval for using Oratex on a 2-33. With the FAA field approval program gone (not officially but everything must go through engineering now) & a DER being very expensive, I'm trying to find anyone who has used the Oratex fabric process.

Interesting sounding stuff. The aileron fabric on out club L-23 is getting pretty dodgy so I may ask our maintenance shop about this option when the time comes.
Old August 28th 17, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I wonder also would it change mass balancing on control surfaces being lighter? Or is it just overall lightness lets balance issues remains unchanged.
Old August 28th 17, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Snyder
external usenet poster

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 5:28:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Have you looked at Stewart Systems? We are using it for our 1-26 feathers and it has been very easy and non-toxic adhesives is a nice bonus.
Old August 28th 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 2:28:17 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Chris,
We did our other 2-33 using the Stewart system. We didn't like several things about it. Would rather use the Stitts Poly Fiber method. I have been talking with the Oratex folks & the fabric is approved by the FAA for the STC uses. Unlike Poly Fiber they did not get a blanket approval to replace any other fabric system with their system. I like that it is overall lighter than other methods (especially on a glider) & that no spraying is necessary. I can do the polyfiber, but I would much rather not set up my paint booth, get out my breathing apparatus & take several days to do the spraying (& still one up with a bug or three in the paint).

I am hoping the Oratex people will work to get it approved for the 2-33. I suspect nearly all sit outdoors & will need cover in the future. It would be to their advantage to get it on their list.