A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Parachute Service Life Limit - there is no 20 year rule!

Old March 17th 18, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

Default Parachute Service Life Limit - there is no 20 year rule!

I thought you would find it useful.

http://www.parachuteshop.com/service_life_limits.htm

http://www.parachuteshop.com/faa_ser..._parachute.htm
Old March 17th 18, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 8:48:12 AM UTC-4, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
I thought you would find it useful.

http://www.parachuteshop.com/service_life_limits.htm

http://www.parachuteshop.com/faa_ser..._parachute.htm

Allen Silver is a Dbag to have pushed that 20 year crap. Along with a couple of manufacturers that only make pilot rigs and don't want to compete with their own used products. 20 year lifespan on parachutes is the same thing as a 20 year lifespan on gliders.
Old March 17th 18, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I'm not sure the subject heading matches the FAA letter.

I read the letter as

"The Faa considers
service life recommended by the manufacturer
a non-regulatory requirement
for a chute that meets
TSO
TSO
TSO
and sold before service life was established.
To establish a new service life, the correct procedure is an SB."

Which brings up the case where
the manufacturer established a service life
before selling the chute.

It's not clear the letter applys to that circumstance?

The SOFTIE user's manual says that FreeFlite has established a 20 year lifetime. Assuming this is before sale, is it a binding reg?

It seems academic. I think I can replace a 20 year old chute.

Old March 17th 18, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 10:04:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm not sure the subject heading matches the FAA letter.

I read the letter as

"The Faa considers
service life recommended by the manufacturer
a non-regulatory requirement
for a chute that meets
TSO
TSO
TSO
and sold before service life was established.
To establish a new service life, the correct procedure is an SB."

Which brings up the case where
the manufacturer established a service life
before selling the chute.

It's not clear the letter applys to that circumstance?

The SOFTIE user's manual says that FreeFlite has established a 20 year lifetime. Assuming this is before sale, is it a binding reg?

It seems academic. I think I can replace a 20 year old chute.

The meaning here was, at least the way I understood it, that if there was no life limitation at the time a certification then there is no life limit at all unless an application to FAA was made that would result in SB issued by FAA. As far as I know this has never happened.

Old March 18th 18, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]
external usenet poster

quoted text -
"Allen Silver is a Dbag to have pushed that 20 year crap. Along with a couple of manufacturers that only make pilot rigs and don't want to compete with their own used products. 20 year lifespan on parachutes is the same thing as a 20 year lifespan on gliders."

Allen Silver a "Dbag"? Isn't Allen the same guy who has been an ally of gliding for decades and authored several "Soaring Mag" articles on the proper use and maintenance of emergency parachutes? Then for sure you must be eager to buy my 41 year old Security 250 chute (non-AD'd) worn about 3 times. Compared to my 7 year old Strong, it looks brand new. For $450 I'll include shipping and send the proceeds to our Jr. team. My rigger accepts the liability when packing the Strong, yet I respect his option not to repack the Security.
Old March 18th 18, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

I'm simply happy Allen wasn't an AME!

T8
Old March 18th 18, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Those articles were good for the soaring community and good for his business. How moral of you to offer a parachute you believe is nonairworthy. Why don't you cut that thing up before it hurts somebody?
Why a 20 year lifespan, why not 15 or 10? And why do pilots get away with wearing only one parachute when jumpers are required to have two? If a 20 year old parachute is unsafe how dare the government let me fly a 53 year old glider. We have a long and expensive road to travel to get to safety. Are you going to write the letter to the FAA demanding more safety or should I?
Allen Silver a "Dbag"? Isn't Allen the same guy who has been an ally of gliding for decades and authored several "Soaring Mag" articles on the proper use and maintenance of emergency parachutes? Then for sure you must be eager to buy my 41 year old Security 250 chute (non-AD'd) worn about 3 times. Compared to my 7 year old Strong, it looks brand new. For $450 I'll include shipping and send the proceeds to our Jr. team. My rigger accepts the liability when packing the Strong, yet I respect his option not to repack the Security.

Old March 18th 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Why not just take care of your own safety and let the rest of us take care of ours? Lots of pilots, glider, GA, experimental, airline, military, fly without parachutes and you can, too. Just use cushions instead of a parachute. No lifetime limits. Simple.

On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 7:30:44 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Those articles were good for the soaring community and good for his business. How moral of you to offer a parachute you believe is nonairworthy. Why don't you cut that thing up before it hurts somebody?
Why a 20 year lifespan, why not 15 or 10? And why do pilots get away with wearing only one parachute when jumpers are required to have two? If a 20 year old parachute is unsafe how dare the government let me fly a 53 year old glider. We have a long and expensive road to travel to get to safety. Are you going to write the letter to the FAA demanding more safety or should I?

Old March 18th 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Lolz. No worries Dan, calling for more rules by me was sarcasm. But it is a good point. Why didn't Allan leave parachute airworthiness up to pilots and their riggers? Kind of a dbag move eh?